Author Topic: Has anyone met any of the musicians at a concert or recital  (Read 2458 times)

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
Re: Has anyone met any of the musicians at a concert or recital
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 02:11:38 AM »
Buenos dias Rafael, you saw the Jahrhundertring live in Bayreuth? Very very envious...  :D
I saw many many many Rings, most on video, only two live (Bayreuth 2001 and Milan 2013) and the Boulez/Chereau production still stands above all of them.

TD

I only met and talked personally to Stockhausen and Pollini. Like Marc, I'm a bit shy to talk to famous people even if they are beside me.
Buongiorno, Gio! Yes, I was fortunate enough to see the “Jahrhundertring” live in its fourth year. I was 15 at the time, and my parents yielded to the pressure  of their teenage son’s budding Wagnerian enthusiasm and ordered tickets for the festival (we had tried for 1978 unsuccessfully, and then got lucky for 1979). My mother and I saw Wolfgang Wagner’s Parsifal production (Horst Stein conducting), Lohengrin staged by Götz Friedrich and with Edo de Waart in the pit, the Harry Kupfer staging of the Dutchman (led by Dennis Russell Davies), and the Chéreau/Boulez Ring. By luck, all those productions are available on DVD.

That was my first exposure to Wagner on the stage (back home in Caracas, there had not been any staged performance of a Wagner opera since a Tristan with Kirsten Flagstad in 1948!). So with that Ring, I‘ve been lucky enough to enter into the world of staged Wagner with a production we already knew at the time would become the stuff of legend. I’ve continued the tradition by taking my children (22 and 20 at the time) to see the Castorf / Petrenko Ring on the Green Hill in 2014. I’ve got tickets to see Parsifal, Tristan and Meistersinger this summer; let’s see if my children, with their summer jobs and that kind if thing, will be able to make it this time around.

Did you enjoy the Jürgen Flimm production in 2001? That was the year that Adam Fisher took over the baton in the last minute, due to Giuseppe Sinoppli’s untimely death earlier that year conducting Aïda in Berlin, no? What a great loss to the music world... :(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:15:40 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 02:26:07 AM »
let’s see if my children, with their summer jobs and that kind if thing, will be able to make it this time around.
............................. :)

.................................................if you end up having two spare tickets my gf and I would be extremely happy to relieve you of that terrible burden........................................................  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

By the way, did I mention how dashing you look today?

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 02:39:33 AM »
By the way, did I mention how dashing you look today?
Thanks, jessop! How nice if you to notice.... ;D You’re too kind... :laugh:
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 02:42:28 AM »
Thanks, jessop! How nice if you to notice.... ;D You’re too kind... :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;)

Online TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 09:10:06 AM »
I've met quite a few musicians and conductors, mostly through my brother who's a musician himself. Most recently I met this lovely, and cheeky chap after a performance of Die Walkure...

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »
Do dead ones count? I met J.S. Bach in Leipzig at Thomaskirche in 2011. Left a flower on his grave.

Pfffft. Cato met him personally.

;)
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2018, 02:55:47 PM »
Do dead ones count? I met J.S. Bach in Leipzig at Thomaskirche in 2011. Left a flower on his grave.

Pfffft. Cato met him personally.

;)

My students would believe that very easily!   8) :blank:
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline GioCar

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2018, 09:25:38 PM »

Did you enjoy the Jürgen Flimm production in 2001? That was the year that Adam Fisher took over the baton in the last minute, due to Giuseppe Sinoppli’s untimely death earlier that year conducting Aïda in Berlin, no? What a great loss to the music world... :(

Yes, I enjoyed it a lot! I had been dreaming to see a Ring live for so much time! I had already seen the four operas staged separately, but never as Wagner wanted and did. And my Ring's baptism happened in Bayreuth! My excitement really was at the top.
The Sinopoli death (a great loss indeed) possibly helped to find the tickets, maybe the request wasn't so much high... my wife got them for me at the Wagnerian Society of Milan, a gift (a very precious gift) for my birthday.

Now I'd say the staging of that Ring was rather flat, meaningless...but, again, who cares?  :)

What do you think of the Castorf/Petrenko Ring? Was it really as silly as reported by most critics? But I'm derailing the thread's subject... ;D

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 10:51:47 PM »
Met a member of the second violin section of the San Francisco Symphony on a shuttle bus from the airport in Austin, TX. Had a nice chat. Told her of some of my favorite SFS symphony recordings (Bruckner 4, Sibelius). She had very good things to say about MTT. Later I was at an SFS symphony concert (Mahler 10) and sure enough she was up on the stage sawing away. :)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 01:22:04 AM »
Lennox Berkeley asked if I was a musician when I asked for his autograph (answer is, unfortunately, 'no'). I had a nice correspondence with Ursula Vaughan Williams, the wife of Ralph but the most significant meeting was with the conductor Vladimir Jurowski. A member of the LPO choir kindly invited me to a rehearsal of Miaskovsky's 6th Symphony in London, knowing my interest in the composer. I was taken to meet Jurowski before the rehearsal in his room and had a lovely chat about Miaskovsky's, Khachaturian etc (I think that Jurowski's grandfather was in Miaskovsky's composition class with Khachaturian) and then, during a break in the rehearsal, he called myself and my friend up to the rostrum to continue our chat. My friend and I had to go to a pub afterwards to calm down.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 02:18:50 AM »
- Charles Wuorinen: After the world premiere of the opera Brokeback Mountain, I could shake the composer’s and librettist Annie Proulx’s hands and thank them for their work. Both were very nice (no signing of program though—each was holding bottles of champagne in their hands).

Cool!  Aye, I have always known him to be cordial, and a gentleman.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline david johnson

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 02:30:36 AM »
As a trumpet player, I was very glad to meet cornetist Jimmy McPartland (Bix Beiderbecke cohort) and I had a great chat with Seymour Rosenfeld (trumpet, Philadelphia orchestra).  I also saw Philly hornist Mason Jones in his boxers and another VERY LOVELY hornist there.  Unfortunately, she was fully clothed.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:02:54 AM by david johnson »

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 07:38:00 AM »
- Charles Wuorinen: After the world premiere of the opera Brokeback Mountain, I could shake the composer’s and librettist Annie Proulx’s hands and thank them for their work. Both were very nice (no signing of program though—each was holding bottles of champagne in their hands).

Also (Thread Duty) I did meet Charles again here at Symphony Hall at the premières of his Fourth Concerto and Eighth Symphony.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 09:45:11 AM »
I've met quite a few musicians and conductors, mostly through my brother who's a musician himself. Most recently I met this lovely, and cheeky chap after a performance of Die Walkure...
What a great photo!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Judith

Love most composers but especially Brahms & Schumann
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 01:14:25 PM »
When I was a student (years ago) my teacher arranged for us to get into the green room. The ones I remember were Joshua Bell, for seeming like a nice and very down-to-earth guy, and Christopher Parkening. I don’t actually remember much about the conversation with the latter, but I remember he gave my friend a cassette, which turned out to be a recording of Parkening discussing his relationship with his personal savior, Jesus Christ.
Met Joshua after his concert a fortnight ago. Was a "dream come true" for me as he is my favourite violinist and wanted to see him live for a while. He was really nice. Got two autographs and a photo with him.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 03:42:47 PM »
From a story I posted last year: one of my parish priests met a musician at a concert and told this story around Easter...

Our parish priest today related the following anecdote about himself:

For Christmas, he had received a ticket to an "All-American Concert" with the Cleveland Orchestra.  Bernstein's On the Waterfront SuiteCopland's Symphony #3, and the Violin Concerto #3 (Jugglers in Paradise) by Augusta Thomas.

So on the courtesy bus from the hotel to Severance Hall, Father X  0:) is starting to discuss the works with another priest, who has not heard any of them ever before.   Father X says that, to prepare himself, he found the Thomas work on YouTube.  A woman sitting in front of them overhears the conversation, turns, and asks: "What did you think of Jugglers in Paradise ?"

Father X: "Oh, it was one of these noisy modern things.  It sounded like a bunch of First-Graders were given instruments and were told to bang and beat on them and destroy them."

She: "Didn't you like any of the violin melodies?"

Father X: "So you're acquainted with the work?"

She: "Oh yes!" 

Father X: "Well, now and then maybe, but they were just all over the place most of the time, really hard to follow."

She: "Oh, okay.  Well, maybe you'll change your opinion of it after today's performance."

Father X: "You seem to be a fan of the piece."

She: (winking) "I have to be.  I'm Augusta Thomas."

The congregation, of course, caught on where this was going well before he had caught on!  He said that he was 50 Shades of Red and both feet and both hands were in his mouth.  Augusta Thomas took it very well, and said it was fine if he did not like it.  He then politely asked about the premise, and she began to explain it, which he said was a little bit of a help.  Father X thanked her for her patience with an unwilling listener, and she simply commented: "I'm just hoping to roll away the rock."

In this case, not from the tomb of Lazarus, but from the ears of the audience.  And her comment explains why he used the anecdote in his sermon for today's Mass! :laugh:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EUvD0mjlEuA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EUvD0mjlEuA</a>
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2018, 07:58:20 PM »
Just to make John jealous, my high school librarian was a classical fan who wrote to Shostakovich and received a hand written reply.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 07:59:33 PM »
Just to make John jealous, my high school librarian was a classical fan who wrote to Shostakovich and received a hand written reply.

Wow! That’s pretty amazing indeed.
“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 11:21:23 PM »

по русски?

The One

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 03:43:39 AM »
So many. Off the top of my head: Pollini, Argerich, Perahia, Perlman, Zukerman, Pletnev, Netrebko Muti, Haitink (I actually have one of Haitink's batons that he gave me), etc. Pre-concert and after-concert chats, especially with the conductors are very common and they can be very intimate most of the time.