Author Topic: Metallica honoured  (Read 200 times)

Offline DaveF

Metallica honoured
« on: February 16, 2018, 03:32:00 AM »
From the BBC news website:

Heavy metal pioneers Metallica are being honoured with Sweden's Polar Prize, one of the most prestigious awards in music. The judges' citation also said "Through virtuoso ensemble playing and its use of extremely accelerated tempos, Metallica has taken rock music to places it had never been before.  Not since Wagner's emotional turmoil and Tchaikovsky's cannons has anyone created music that is so physical and furious."

I'm not sure where to start with this, but I'm sure some of you will.
"Just because I like something, it doesn't mean it's any good."

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
Re: Metallica honoured
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 07:07:56 AM »
Mossolov's Iron Foundry is more "physical and furious" than either Wagner or Metallica and there are probably countless other examples but I find this a dubious criterion of quality.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline wolftone

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 10:53:05 AM »
From the BBC news website:

"...Not since Wagner's emotional turmoil and Tchaikovsky's cannons has anyone created music that is so physical and furious."

Maybe so, but there were a lot of bands in the thrash metal genre alone that were much more "physical and furious."

Offline nodogen

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 08:17:51 AM »
The early albums were good.

But for fast n furious they could never touch Slayer, who did more than any other band to define thrash metal.

<a href="https://youtu.be/DgASEyey_KQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtu.be/DgASEyey_KQ</a>

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Musik fra den himmelske by
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 08:24:56 AM »
I once knew someone who listened to Metallica. Needless to say, music was something we didn’t have in common. :P
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard