Author Topic: Artbooks and artworks you have purchased  (Read 3835 times)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: Artbooks and artworks you have purchased
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2019, 08:59:37 PM »
Resizing is allowed

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2019, 03:06:42 AM »
Not a huge number, but we have had this for a while

Removed for size: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91YIH8uItwL.jpg

And have several Casson prints including

Good stuff, Ken B. I don't really know Casson and the only other of that group I'm at all familiar with is Frederick Varly.

Submitted a successful bid for this print by Manuel Ángeles Ortiz at an auction here in Madrid in mid-July:

And what about you, ritter, how are you getting on with this? Are you living with it on a daily basis?

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Fernand Léger: Nature morte aux fruits
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2019, 08:36:13 AM »
And what about you, ritter, how are you getting on with this? Are you living with it on a daily basis?
Oh yes, it’s doing its job splendidly! Thanks for asking.  :)

Since I bought it, it has some companions...

Two woodcuts by Raoul Dufy (as reported in the avatar thread):

And a late (1959)  lithograph by Georges Braque (my copy being inscribed by the artist to Fernand Mourlot, the man who ran the workshop where most of the leading artists in Paris in the mid-20th century created their work in the lithographic medium):

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:14:50 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et avec le fer de sa houe il cassa la glace
De la source ou jadis riaient les naïades... »

Offline NikF4

• ...and at other times, picking up pebbles.
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 04:15:06 AM »
Oh yes, it’s doing its job splendidly! Thanks for asking.  :)

Since I bought it, it has some companions...

Two woodcuts by Raoul Dufy (as reported in the avatar thread):

And a late (1959)  lithograph by Georges Braque (my copy being inscribed by the artist to Fernand Mourlot, the man who ran the workshop where most of the leading artists in Paris in the mid-20th century created their work in the lithographic medium):

You're welcome.

Interesting purchases as ever - and the unique feature of the Braque litho making it particularly cool. Good stuff.
You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 07:09:05 AM »
Received now. An excellent book:

As is this:

Nemon sculpted Churchill many times but the cover shows Churchill's one and only sculpture - his portrait of Oscar Nemon.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:11:51 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline NikF4

• ...and at other times, picking up pebbles.
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2019, 12:33:42 AM »
Do this stuff count?  ;D

I've a few of these large format glass slides of ballet backdrop curtains and stage sets. This recent purchase is from the 1930s and by Dufy for a Ballet Russe (MkII) production called 'Beach' (or 'Palm Beach') to music by Jean Françaix.
It's needing cleaned and after I do so will look great. Think of the image quality when 35mm film is projected in a cinema, then realise this slide is about four inches long on the same side, so with the right lens (and powerful enough bulb) it'll almost appear you can step in to it - and I have lenses/bulbs meeting that description.

Here's the original design (or at least one of them) for a general idea -

You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2019, 01:50:08 AM »
Do this stuff count?  ;D

I've a few of these large format glass slides of ballet backdrop curtains and stage sets. This recent purchase is from the 1930s and by Dufy for a Ballet Russe (MkII) production called 'Beach' (or 'Palm Beach') to music by Jean Françaix.
It's needing cleaned and after I do so will look great. Think of the image quality when 35mm film is projected in a cinema, then realise this slide is about four inches long on the same side, so with the right lens (and powerful enough bulb) it'll almost appear you can step in to it - and I have lenses/bulbs meeting that description.

Definitely! Amazing! What a great thing to have.
 :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2019, 02:23:21 AM »
Definitely! Amazing! What a great thing to have.
 :)
A big +1....

Great stuff, NikF. And archetypal of Raoul Dufy's work: the sailboats, the ponies, the seashells...  Wonderful!  :)
Ritter

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2019, 07:10:49 AM »
Do this stuff count?  ;D

Great stuff. Love Dufy’s colorful work.
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2019, 11:29:47 PM »
In 1922, Chilean poet Vicente Huidobro (initiator of the creationist aesthetic movement, and known to some music lovers because one of his texts was set by Edgar Varèse in his Offrandes), exhibited 13 "painted poems" in the Théâtre Édouard VII in Paris. The idea was for these works to be published using the pochoir (or stencil) technique, but the project didn't come to fruition.

In 2001, the Reina Sofía Museum here in Madrid recreated the 1922 event, and for the occasion issued the surviving works (12 in total, including some poems in two versions) in a limited edition folder of serigraphs on high-quality Arches paper, respecting the original dimensions (73 x 53 cm). I've been lucky enough to buy one set from the museum.

Ritter