Author Topic: A big warm hello to all  (Read 526 times)

Offline Markblues

• The Mark Hussey Website
A big warm hello to all
« on: March 26, 2018, 04:25:00 AM »
Good morning, afternoon and evening, wherever you are. As a newbie here I thought it appropriate to say hello to you all. Writing from the airport in Finland  fighting the urge for a coffee due to the crazy prices in Helsinki for anything. I have a few classical and funnily enough Flamenco pieces I'll learn instead.

I'm a classical music enthusiast and in particular of guitar music. Well, there is a lot of classical guitar i really do not like, and players too but played well, I think it is among the most beautiful instruments there is. As a player myself I would say that. I look forward to chatting and sharing some of my own music too. So what better way than to share my tribute to Bach with my arrangement of Air on a G string for guitar....Well, that is if you are on Spotify and care to listen  https://open.spotify.com/track/1FM7cT5xZ5OmeOoS3nOQ0V?si=1DI4fGukQ9KJjUN0ZNMz6w

All the best
Mark

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
Re: A big warm hello to all
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 08:10:20 AM »
Welcome! :)

Mind that the forum will in a week or so be down for a few days to be transferred to a new server - don't give up on us!  :o

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,28093.0.html

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 08:46:14 AM »
Welcome, Mark!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Markblues

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 11:43:26 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. I'll be away performing for a few weeks now so wont likely be very active for a while.

Offline Hollywood

• Living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 11:45:00 PM »
Hi Mark. Greetings from Vienna, Austria. Welcome to the froum.  8)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:04:44 AM by Hollywood »
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 11:46:38 PM »
Welcome to GMG! I, myself, am a classical guitar enthusiast as well and have written a few solo an chamber works featuring the instrument. I would love to know your favourite performers and pieces!

Personally, I am a big fan of the guitar music of Brouwer, Takemitsu, Stephen Goss and Nikita Koshkin.

Offline Markblues

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 11:55:47 PM »
Welcome to GMG! I, myself, am a classical guitar enthusiast as well and have written a few solo an chamber works featuring the instrument. I would love to know your favourite performers and pieces!

Personally, I am a big fan of the guitar music of Brouwer, Takemitsu, Stephen Goss and Nikita Koshkin.

I share your enjoyment of Brouwer for sure. Etude 17 is up there for me and often perform it.   I have to be honest, I think there are so many beautiful pieces but I find that few seem to deliver it well. For example take Aranjuez, we have so many classical guitar players perform it but not a single one has the emotion and execution of Paco de Lucia. I'm also really keen on new music and translating modern music for the classical guitar. I spend a lot of time doing this despite being very slow on Sibelius software.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 12:06:46 AM »
I share your enjoyment of Brouwer for sure. Etude 17 is up there for me and often perform it.   I have to be honest, I think there are so many beautiful pieces but I find that few seem to deliver it well. For example take Aranjuez, we have so many classical guitar players perform it but not a single one has the emotion and execution of Paco de Lucia. I'm also really keen on new music and translating modern music for the classical guitar. I spend a lot of time doing this despite being very slow on Sibelius software.

I quite agree with you there, so many wonderful pieces in the repertoire already yet few really interesting and moving performances.

Etudes 13 and 16 are my two favourites, although I really love works like Tarantos, Canticum and his earlier Tres Apuntes as well. Those are immensely fun to play!

Offline Markblues

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »
I already think we could chat for hours lol

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 01:40:10 PM »
You are very welcome Mark and I look forward to your contributions  :)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 07:27:45 PM »
Welcome aboard, Mark! I hope you enjoy your time here.
My favorite Debussy and Ravel pianists: Zoltán Kocsis, Alexandre Tharaud, Anne Queffélec, and Paul Jacobs

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »
Welcome and have fun here!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 07:57:46 PM »
According to my highly biased opinion this is currently the best classical music forum on the internet  ;)

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
    something between my ears
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 09:39:13 PM »
Hello Mark,

You've landed among a community of extraordinarily interesting ( imho ) musicians and music-lovers, and will find plenty of threads which should prove worthwhile.

Welcome and enjoy,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline Markblues

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 11:53:39 PM »
Thanks to you all and greetings from Lisbon today. Tomorrow is a work day so I'll be fishing out some sheet music to figure out what to play

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 05:22:34 AM »
So, did you buy the expensive cup of coffee at Helsinki Airport? I have been there myself but don't think I had a coffee. Welcome to the Forum!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).