Author Topic: OK, we are back  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
Re: OK, we are back
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2018, 11:06:56 AM »
Same here...

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
  • If it sound good it is good.
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2018, 11:53:06 AM »
After it was announced "we're back" there were 3 days when I got intermittent "site not found" errors. Then that problem went away, although I still find the response after making a post is at least 5 seconds (sometimes longer).

Note added: this one took 10 seconds.
Another note added: modification is instantaneous. There is some sort of bottleneck in the creation of a new post.

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2018, 05:37:36 PM »
The slow-to-post bug is noted. I am investigating and trying a few things.

Rob
 Macs are better. They just are.

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2018, 02:39:34 AM »
Angry Bach?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
  • So much to listen, so little time...
    • Harry's classical music corner
« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2018, 03:08:12 AM »
I have no problems with GMG. All works like clockwork, no hitches, superfast, no error issues, all works fine.
Thanks Rob for all the work!
You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

All reviews are to be found on my blog if interested.
My Blog. http://walboi.blogspot.nl/

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2018, 06:51:52 AM »
I have no problems with GMG. All works like clockwork, no hitches, superfast, no error issues, all works fine.

Well, I wish I could say this was the case for some others, but, alas, it’s not.
"I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2018, 06:56:54 AM »

You make us look like whiners, Harry  ;D. I still get the slow post problem. It’s like waiting for the other shoe to drop...

Online Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2018, 06:57:38 AM »
Well, I wish I could say this was the case for some others, but, alas, it’s not.

I too am getting a frequent "server not found" message. When that happens, I just keep clicking and it eventually lets me in (it takes as many as nine clicks sometimes). In other words, I've never been locked out for long (not more than a few seconds).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2018, 07:00:22 AM »
I too am getting a frequent "server not found" message. When that happens, I just keep clicking and it eventually lets me in (it takes as many as nine clicks sometimes). In other words, I've never been locked out for long (not more than a few seconds).

Sarge

Yes, I’ve never had this issue on GMG other than when the server was actually down for maintenance work or whatever. Ever since this current switch to a new server, it’s been one problem after another, but I’m hoping Rob resolves the issues. Thanks are in order again to Rob for all the hard work he’s done.
"I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2018, 04:36:56 PM »
My experience
Device: Android Tablet
On wi-fi, no problems. But I am not usually on wi-fi.
On my main ISP, ATT Wireless
Firefox and Opera browsers: sometimes access to the forum, sometimes always Server Not Found. When trying to post, go to Server not found.
Chrome: Forum loads, and I can navigate freely through threads (including loading threads on new tabs, etc) as long as I confine myself to reading.  Sometimes I can post one reply, sometimes two, sometimes none at all..but eventually the Server Not Found kicks in, and it seems stays that way until and unless I reboot the tablet. SNF problem also appears when PMing,  changing avatar, or any action which goes beyond passively reading threads.

This post is my first of the night...hoping this gets through!

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2018, 07:54:00 AM »
Addendum:  that was the only post I could make last night.
Currently I'm using a public terminal at the public library, seemingly no problems.  But I can't do this every do, of course.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2018, 11:30:14 AM »
With sympathy toward those still having problems posting, I'm having no issues so far, either on laptop or phone. On laptop, using the latest version of Firefox, and on phone, latest version of Chrome.

--Bruce
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.
     ~ Gustav Mahler

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2018, 11:39:39 AM »
Everything is working fine here too.  However, when I ping www.good-music-guide.com, it doesnt want to return the ip address.  Perhaps the provider uses shared ip addresses ?
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2018, 12:12:13 PM »
With sympathy toward those still having problems posting, I'm having no issues so far, either on laptop or phone. On laptop, using the latest version of Firefox, and on phone, latest version of Chrome.

--Bruce

Just curious, are you accessing GMG on your phone via your phone provider or via Wi-Fi?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2018, 12:28:28 PM »
Just curious, are you accessing GMG on your phone via your phone provider or via Wi-Fi?

Phone provider! (T-Mobile)

-Bruce
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.
     ~ Gustav Mahler

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2018, 03:29:22 PM »
The Server Not Found issue is probably a DNS (Domain Name Server) issue. GMG moved to a new server, with a new IP address.

Its like the Jones family moved to a new city. They used to live at 451 Old Road, Oldsville, but they have now moved to 681 New Road, Newington.

There are computers around the world who's sole function is to be an address book for websites/domains. They are called Domain Name Servers (DNS). Their sole function is to be like an address book for websites/domains. When you type in good-music-guide.com, those DNS's will convert that to the IP address and send you to 209.182.194.169 (actually http://209.182.194.169/~goodmu/ as I run several websites from the one server).

The DNS's take about 24 hours to propagate the new IP addresses. Your ISP, router and device will sometimes check the DNS's to find a website, but sometimes they are lazy and used a cached (old, stored) version. So your device might still resending you to Oldsville instead of Newington.

How to get your device to go to the new address? Usually you don't need to do anything. But sometimes (Android, I'm looking at you), you might need to force it to check the address book again tor refresh the address. How to do depends on too many factors to list them all here. I suggest you power off your device, and power it back on (IT Crowd anyone?) If you are accessing from a router, turn that off and on again. If that fails to fix the issue, search for how to flush your DNS cache for your specific device.

If all else fails, get a  

:D

cheers
Rob
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:32:41 PM by Dungeon Master »

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »
I think I've fixed the slow posting issue.

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »
The Server Not Found issue is probably a DNS (Domain Name Server) issue. GMG moved to a new server, with a new IP address.

Its like the Jones family moved to a new city. They used to live at 451 Old Road, Oldsville, but they have now moved to 681 New Road, Newington.

There are computers around the world who's sole function is to be an address book for websites/domains. They are called Domain Name Servers (DNS). Their sole function is to be like an address book for websites/domains. When you type in good-music-guide.com, those DNS's will convert that to the IP address and send you to 209.182.194.169 (actually http://209.182.194.169/~goodmu/ as I run several websites from the one server).

The DNS's take about 24 hours to propagate the new IP addresses. Your ISP, router and device will sometimes check the DNS's to find a website, but sometimes they are lazy and used a cached (old, stored) version. So your device might still resending you to Oldsville instead of Newington.

How to get your device to go to the new address? Usually you don't need to do anything. But sometimes (Android, I'm looking at you), you might need to force it to check the address book again tor refresh the address. How to do depends on too many factors to list them all here. I suggest you power off your device, and power it back on (IT Crowd anyone?) If you are accessing from a router, turn that off and on again. If that fails to fix the issue, search for how to flush your DNS cache for your specific device.

If all else fails, get a  

:D

cheers
Rob

Flushing the DNS cache does not work for me.
Rebooting after every post is a bit cumbersome..
But the chief riddle for me is:
Why does Server Not Found appear only when I try to post, and not when I just read?

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2018, 05:05:27 PM »
I think I've fixed the slow posting issue.

Let's see....

EDIT - Yup! fast as a speeding bullet now.

EDIT 2 - Fast for edits too!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2018, 05:40:46 PM »
Flushing the DNS cache does not work for me.
Rebooting after every post is a bit cumbersome..
But the chief riddle for me is:
Why does Server Not Found appear only when I try to post, and not when I just read?

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Flushing cache should only be required once - your device/router should then load the new DNS settings and things should be good. For some reason, your device/router/ISP is still storing old DNS settings.

I'm hoping that as DNS propagates throughout all ISP's, this should become less of an issue.

Are you only having trouble on mobile/cell or also on desktop/laptop?

Did you try my final suggestion ()?