Author Topic: OK, we are back  (Read 10838 times)

Baron Scarpia

Re: OK, we are back
« Reply #320 on: May 26, 2018, 10:07:56 PM »
That’s what I thought. If Elgarian wants to return and is locked out, well, I’m ready to pack it in. No point is investing effort in a dying enterprise.

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #321 on: May 26, 2018, 11:00:26 PM »
That’s what I thought. If Elgarian wants to return and is locked out, well, I’m ready to pack it in. No point is investing effort in a dying enterprise.
??? ::) Quite the community spirit...
It's all good...

Offline GioCar

« Reply #322 on: May 26, 2018, 11:18:27 PM »
Are the mods somehow in contact with the site owner? Does he know the issue on the registration process?
What I find bizarre is his silence...

No more ads, no more interactions by him (apparently) shortly after the server change...
Looks like a dying site indeed.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #323 on: May 26, 2018, 11:53:53 PM »
Are the mods somehow in contact with the site owner? Does he know the issue on the registration process?
What I find bizarre is his silence...

No more ads, no more interactions by him (apparently) shortly after the server change...
Looks like a dying site indeed.
I would be sad. I do like it here. There are surprisingly few alternatives.

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #324 on: May 26, 2018, 11:57:31 PM »
Ah, let's be optimistic. The glass is half-full!  :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #325 on: May 27, 2018, 01:17:26 AM »
I would be sad. I do like it here. There are surprisingly few alternatives.

Considering the great effort Rob has invested here in order to move the server, I would become surprised, if he didn't finish the work and corrected the few - if rather fatal - remaining issues.

But the silence of the Mods is also surprising. How is their contact to him? If he is too busy with other things, and we have to wait, until he gets the time for us, this would be fully understandable, and we might keep optimism intact. But this silence is almost grueling.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #326 on: May 27, 2018, 02:52:15 AM »
I just saw the section for "subscribing"--contributing something to keep the site going. I just breezed through a couple of threads really quickly, and so far, I've only seen one person with the subscription icon under their name--and that is a newer member I'm not familiar with.  I saw that Karl was valiantly trying to support the site last year, and couldn't get his paypal payment accepted....does anyone know if that got straightened out? I'd be happy to chip in, but (unlike with other sites I'm a member of) never saw any "hints" that a little cash infusion was needed.
It's all good...

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #327 on: May 27, 2018, 02:57:35 AM »
I agree. Considering the amount of cash we spend on music we could probably afford to support GMG if it is needed. It would be good to hear from the management as this thread seems to be stirring.
I think GMG has a wonderful community! 
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Online NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #328 on: May 27, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »
I'd be happy to contribute financially. The only reason for not doing so up until now is because it would have meant a logo or label by my username and I'm not fond of logos and labels on anything (camera straps, clothing, guitar pickups etc) although I'm aware that a poster having one could prompt another to subscribe too.

Having said that, I'm not sure the recent forum issues users have been having would be alleviated by money. Anyway, I rarely visit nowadays, but I'll keep in touch and if cash will help solve problems I'm in a position to help.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #329 on: May 27, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »
I just breezed through a couple of threads really quickly, and so far, I've only seen one person with the subscription icon under their name

I subscribe, and have had no problems with the payment method. But I don't think money is the problem here. The fact that the owner of this site has been absent for a month is a problem, and deeply disturbing (disturbing anyway to those of us who frequent this site daily and consider it a home away from home).

Sarge
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:22:47 AM by Sergeant Rock »
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #330 on: May 27, 2018, 01:54:53 PM »
Considering the great effort Rob has invested here in order to move the server, I would become surprised, if he didn't finish the work and corrected the few - if rather fatal - remaining issues.

But the silence of the Mods is also surprising. How is their contact to him? If he is too busy with other things, and we have to wait, until he gets the time for us, this would be fully understandable, and we might keep optimism intact. But this silence is almost grueling.

Aye, I chalk it up to Rob's having real life in progress;  patience, I think.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #331 on: May 27, 2018, 10:28:42 PM »

Yes I agree, even the Mods think that silence solves the problem, but it makes it even worse. I am hugely disappointed by this lack of info, and neglect of its members.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

When we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways - either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits, or by using the challenge to find our inner strength.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #332 on: May 27, 2018, 10:40:40 PM »

Aye, I chalk it up to Rob's having real life in progress;  patience, I think.

Indeed, I think that is the case. Rob's involvement with the forum is not on a continuous or regular basis. We moderators usually run the show by ourselves,  apart from the things only Rob can do. And that of course includes the whole technical side of it.

At the moment there is not much to tell untill we get back in touch with him.

Q

PS One more thing: did anyone notice something odd about the attachments feature?
I noticed members posting seemingly "empty" posts. Like "I'm listening to this right now",  but without a picture.
Then I couldn't find the attachment of a post I posted myself a while ago... (hardly ever use attachments).
À chacun son goût.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #333 on: May 27, 2018, 11:09:04 PM »
Interesting that there's no advertisements on the website.

Anyway, the fact that new people can't enrol isn't an urgent problem, though it's clearly a serious one. It means slow death. It would be such a shame.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #334 on: May 28, 2018, 11:07:53 AM »
Indeed, I think that is the case. Rob's involvement with the forum is not on a continuous or regular basis. We moderators usually run the show by ourselves,  apart from the things only Rob can do. And that of course includes the whole technical side of it.

At the moment there is not much to tell untill we get back in touch with him.

Thanks for this post, Que, I shall remain patient.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #335 on: May 29, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »
We are in a precarious situation, since the person who runs the site does not participate and is on the hook for the hosting bill, which has been described as running to thousands of dollars per year. The ads, which would do something to defray the cost, have disappeared. I don't know if the amazon links still work. Clearly we are getting something for nothing and have no right to complain, but I wish Rob was making a little profit from this, so we would have a right to complain a little bit.

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #336 on: May 29, 2018, 10:54:48 AM »
Incidentally, I saw an article about how the FBI has concluded that some virus probably originating in Russia has infected hundreds of thousands of routers in use by individuals or small businesses. (The ones you can get for $100 to provide wifi in a small area.) This virus can do things like block or re-direct your internet traffic, which could involve intercepting and DNS requests and redirecting them to corrupted DNS server. Being unable to get to different with sites could be a symptom of that. Just sayin'.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #337 on: May 29, 2018, 10:59:21 AM »
Incidentally, I saw an article about how the FBI has concluded that some virus probably originating in Russia has infected hundreds of thousands of routers in use by individuals or small businesses. (The ones you can get for $100 to provide wifi in a small area.) This virus can do things like block or re-direct your internet traffic, which could involve intercepting and DNS requests and redirecting them to corrupted DNS server. Being unable to get to different with sites could be a symptom of that. Just sayin'.
Well, damn.

Reading about the routers on Reuters...
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-routers/fbi-warns-russians-hacked-hundreds-of-thousands-of-routers-idUSKCN1IQ2DY
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #338 on: May 29, 2018, 09:51:03 PM »
We are in a precarious situation, since the person who runs the site does not participate and is on the hook for the hosting bill, which has been described as running to thousands of dollars per year. The ads, which would do something to defray the cost, have disappeared. I don't know if the amazon links still work. Clearly we are getting something for nothing and have no right to complain, but I wish Rob was making a little profit from this, so we would have a right to complain a little bit.

It may be an idea to back up pages of the forum which you think you may want to refer to in the future.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #339 on: May 30, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »
It may be an idea to back up pages of the forum which you think you may want to refer to in the future.

There is very little here I would ever need to refer to. It is a place for conversation. Having an archive of old conversations is no substitute.