Author Topic: Is the search box just not very good, or am I doing something wrong?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
If I use google site specific search on http://www.good-music-guide.com  for (eg) "pommer" I get tons of results.

An example

Some other bets: I have the Max Pommer . . .

If I use the search box I get

Your search query didn't return any matches.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
The GMG search engine has never been particularly good (though using the advancec search improves matters), but I think it is currently down. Searching for "Bach" didn't return any results either.... which seems highly improbable!  :D

Must be a glitch due to the server transfer...

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
I frequent another forum that uses this same software/layout/whatever it's called, and the search function there is not good either. Like, it includes instances where letters you search for appear within a word. For example, you include the word "it" in your search, and the search returns a post with the word "literature".

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Is the search box just not very good, or am I doing something wrong?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 11:20:37 AM »
Search has stopped working  for me again.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline shirime

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 04:24:52 AM »
I always assumed that the searches were limited to the page you were searching from.

Searching 'Bach' from THIS thread will result in Que's post (and now mine) because you'd just be searching within this thread, but searching 'Bach' from http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php will result in every mention of Bach on the forum (or at least many many recent mentions of Bach across the entire forum).

I just tested this again, and it worked consistently with my theory. Nothing is wrong with the search function (unless there was something wrong with it back when Mandryka started this thread) but it just has an odd quirk that isn't so obvious when trying to use it from different parts of the forum.

Something to try:

Search 'Bach' from the search bar at the top of this thread and see how many posts come up and the particular thread the posts appear in.
Search 'Bach' from the search bar after clicking out of this thread and back into the GMG news subforum and see the subforum that all the 'Bach' mentions are in.
Seach 'Bach' from the main page, and you will be searching the entire forum.
You can also search from the location of different subforums and threads for 'Bach' just to get results from those specific areas of the site.
If you are getting a bit tired of searching 'Bach,' you can always search something else, like 'Boulez'. :D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:33:20 AM by shirime »

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 06:14:00 AM »
Welcome back, Jessop. Nice to see you again.

Whenever I use the search, I go to the subforum (room) and then search. IOW, if I was looking for Haydn, I would go to the Composers Room, then type in Haydn, and get a ton of hits. It doesn't seem to go down through layers beyond 1.

Is the search box just not very good, or am I doing something wrong?

Those things don't need to be mutually exclusive... ;)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106