Author Topic: Why I am leaving GMG  (Read 1158 times)

kishnevi

Why I am leaving GMG
« on: April 29, 2018, 06:37:11 AM »
In the wake of the server move, because of the "Server Not Found" problem persisting, I can not post with any frequency nor do anything more than read GMG.   I feel like I'm hearing a fascinationg conversation, and want to engage in it, but a glass wall keeps the rest from hearing me even though I hear them find. It's a very frustrating situation. I am currently posting this from a public library terminal, but that's something I can do only once or twice a week.  The various hacks and solutions proposes for DNS proxies, etc. do not work on my device, so I am stuck.  I can not help but feel that the site administration couid do more--at the very least, pressing his own ISP for help--than (basically) waving his hands and saying things will get better with time.

I thoroughly enjoy the people here, and a number of you are friends of mine on Facebook and/or connected via Twitter.  Anyone who is not a Facebook friend is welcome to friend me there.   Perhaps if things clear up here, I will return.   In the meantime, I have the consolation of knowing that not being on GMG may benefit my wallet.

So thanks to all of you for the friendship and the conversation.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the lake...
Re: Why I am leaving GMG
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 06:48:40 AM »
I’m sorry to see you’re leaving, but you’re just a guest? I don’t know which member you are.
“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 07:34:52 AM »
In the wake of the server move, because of the "Server Not Found" problem persisting, I can not post with any frequency nor do anything more than read GMG. 

Have you tried various browsers? Have you tried deleting cookies? Sorry to hear about your problems. I haven't experienced any problems due to server move. It went very smoothly for me. I just continued using GMG after the break as if nothing had happened.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 08:01:24 AM »
This user may have changed screen name after account creation. After account deletion the posts revert to the name used at account creation.

The use at the library computer had been mentioned before. Anyone know who this poster is?

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 08:05:36 AM »
I fully understand the frustration of the poster and regret the loss of a member.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 08:14:58 AM »
I fully understand the frustration of the poster and regret the loss of a member.
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 08:27:36 AM »
Anyone know who this poster is?

It's the person that started the Trump thread, anyone remembers?

Q

À chacun son goût.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 08:34:52 AM »
Jeffrey non Vandermolen  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 08:54:10 AM »
It's Jeffrey Smith and it's a great loss. I hope he'll reconsider. I mean, I understand the frustration but why deleting the account? Taking a (prolonged) break from GMG is one thing (I considered it many times) but such a radical move is quite another.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:56:31 AM by Florestan »
"The score is not a bible, and I am never afraid to dare. The music is behind those dots." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »
It's Jeffrey Smith and it's a great loss. I hope he'll reconsider. I mean, I understand the frustration but why deleting the account? Taking a (prolonged) break from GMG is one thing (I considered it many times) but such a radical move is quite another.

It’s terrible news all-around for us. I’ll miss his contributions. I hope things iron out for him.
“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 11:26:39 AM »
Once again the loss of any member due to "technical issues" is most regrettable.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Sammy

• Veteran member
    Bach and Boris Tchaikovsky
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 11:37:26 AM »
Once again the loss of any member due to "technical issues" is most regrettable.

It's not only a matter of losing members.  I know a person who would love to join up but can't get into the website; after a few days of failure, she decided to forget about this place and considers GMG a loser from a technological point of view. 

Mirror Image - I do post in non-game threads now and then.  ;D

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 11:44:28 AM »
It is a significant loss for the site. I can understand the motivation to delete your account if you've resolved to leave and want to remove the temptation to relapse, but deleting the account would prevent you from checking in maybe a month from now to see if the technical problems have been resolved. I hope he will return nevertheless.

There is something peculiar going on. Things were working perfectly for me, but the last three days I have had a few instances of 'server not found" on my phone using cell connection. Never happens on wifi. If I turn cellular data off then on again is works again. That's not supposed to happen. I wonder if there is a DNS server out there poisoning DNS world with the old server address.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 10:18:02 PM »
Jeffrey non Vandermolen  0:)

Thanks Karl
Yes, I'm still here with my rambling monologues  8)
All best
Jeffrey (the other one)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 11:45:44 PM »
In the immortal words of Led Zeppelin, Jeffrey—Ramble on!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline david johnson

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 12:03:12 AM »
ignore this test post to see if I have the same difficulty

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 12:53:55 AM »
In the immortal words of Led Zeppelin, Jeffrey—Ramble on!
:)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 03:57:39 AM »
Hamlet was a famous rambler... :D

A great Rambler:

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »
In the wake of the server move, because of the "Server Not Found" problem persisting, I can not post with any frequency nor do anything more than read GMG.   I feel like I'm hearing a fascinationg conversation, and want to engage in it, but a glass wall keeps the rest from hearing me even though I hear them find. It's a very frustrating situation. I am currently posting this from a public library terminal, but that's something I can do only once or twice a week.  The various hacks and solutions proposes for DNS proxies, etc. do not work on my device, so I am stuck.  I can not help but feel that the site administration couid do more--at the very least, pressing his own ISP for help--than (basically) waving his hands and saying things will get better with time.

I thoroughly enjoy the people here, and a number of you are friends of mine on Facebook and/or connected via Twitter.  Anyone who is not a Facebook friend is welcome to friend me there.   Perhaps if things clear up here, I will return.   In the meantime, I have the consolation of knowing that not being on GMG may benefit my wallet.

So thanks to all of you for the friendship and the conversation.

Haste ye back.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 06:54:59 AM »
It's not only a matter of losing members.  I know a person who would love to join up but can't get into the website; after a few days of failure, she decided to forget about this place and considers GMG a loser from a technological point of view. 

Most regrettable.