Poll

Revised poll: Please let me know how good your access is to GMG since we moved to the new servers on April 4.

Good access (>90% connectivity)
60 (73.2%)
Intermittent access (50-90% connectivity)
13 (15.9%)
Poor access (10-50% connectivity)
3 (3.7%)
Almost inaccessible (<10% connectivity)
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: All members please read and respond: Are you having trouble accessing the forum?  (Read 5595 times)

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach, Liszt, Brahms, Debussy, Sravinsky
Some members who deleted their accounts in the hope that they would have success with a new account reported (on facebook) that they could not create a new account. However this doesn't exclude the possibility that they can't create an account for the same reason that they had difficulty connecting.

However, I just tried to create a new account using an alternate email, just to see what would happen. I got an error, "database error" and could not continue.

Dead site walking.

The latest new member registered on March 31st, but hasn't posted anything.  Looks like April has been the cruelest month.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
My experience is consistent. No difficulties whatsoever on any wifi network.

Same here.

My only non-wifi experience is with Tapatalk on my phone.  Whether the problem resided in Tapatalk itself, or in Tapatalk's communication with GMG, that became worthless at the time of the change, so I deleted the app from my phone and am resigned to inaccessibility via that device.

I'm not saying it's any great tragedy . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline amw

• Veteran member

Rob hasn't been active at the forum since 2.5.18., so he has probably not seen all the posts.
That's not a great sign either.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
As I've said before, my experience is generally the reverse: wifi/broadband is bad, cellular network is fine.

The forced DNS mapping I've done on my desktop PC has fixed the problem there, but any time I try to use my phone using wifi and the same router, big problems. If I'm silly enough to try using my phone while at home, I have to switch the wifi off.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Oh, that's a pain.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
Eh. It's fairly mild. Only really affects me if I try to do something like read the forum in bed.  ;D

But it proves the problem still exists on that connection, and I'm still relying on the forced DNS mapping workaround. I'm just glad that that worked.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the lake...
Multiple people have brought this up over the past few weeks but it seems like there has been no progress or even acknowledgment that there is an issue.

And this is the part that troubles me the most.

In other news, I’m still getting error messages from time to time, which is annoying to say the least, but, overall, everything seems to be running smoothly.
“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
No problem at all nearly all the time.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
Bogey contacted me last night, saying he keeps getting an error message each time he clicks a new page, whether phone or PC. Can a moderator or Rob please contact him with suggestions/details to help him get back on the site?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Online milk

• Veteran member
I still only have access for about 5 minutes a day on my mac. This makes GMG more difficult for me. I still don't get why this is the case. No access from some other locations like my university.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
I still only have access for about 5 minutes a day on my mac. This makes GMG more difficult for me. I still don't get why this is the case. No access from some other locations like my university.

Milk, I have no issues on my macbook at my home, or iphone, but my PC at work does the same thing where access is limited, and eventually I'm unable to even open the page. It's probably a good thing for my work computer as I should spend more time working.   8)

But zero issues at home. Perhaps it has something to do with the in internet provider? A miscommunication between the provider and the GMG page? Don't know, just trying to throw out some possibilities.   

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
For me, it's still a bit of a pain ...

- at home, on my computer, it works fine now (after the DNS and flush stuff)
- at work, a few months later, I can sometimes access for two or three minutes, but then not again for a full day or two
- on my smartphone (where I did the flush stuff, too), I cannot access at all, no matter whether outside or within my home wifi network
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
No probs whether on my lap top, school computer ( :o) or my iPad.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
I'm not having any problems.  :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline André

• Veteran member
Me neither, except for a brief period this week. But I suspect my tablet is slowly dying, so I don’t think it’s a GMG issue  :laugh:.

Online milk

• Veteran member
Milk, I have no issues on my macbook at my home, or iphone, but my PC at work does the same thing where access is limited, and eventually I'm unable to even open the page. It's probably a good thing for my work computer as I should spend more time working.   8)

But zero issues at home. Perhaps it has something to do with the in internet provider? A miscommunication between the provider and the GMG page? Don't know, just trying to throw out some possibilities.
Yes, I think it depends on the server. They said it would resolve over time but my problem persists in exactly the same way.

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
at least 50% of logins say "server not accessible".  When or why log-ins are successful seems to follow no pattern

I have similar problems. I can usually get access (though sometimes at the second attempt) in the mornings, most afternoons and evenings I can't get access at all. I'm based in the UK.

It's the same whether I try to access on my laptop or iPhone.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
Not important in the bigger scheme of things, but my RSS feed doesn't work any longer, and I haven't gotten an email notification since the switchover. I know that email still works for some folks, but not yours truly...  :-\

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
Sometimes GMG is slow in loading up.

But I am DEEPLY appreciative to all of you who make the funnest music forum possible.
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
I have no problems either way, the connectivity is superb.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

When we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways - either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits, or by using the challenge to find our inner strength.