Poll

Revised poll: Please let me know how good your access is to GMG since we moved to the new servers on April 4.

Good access (>90% connectivity)
58 (73.4%)
Intermittent access (50-90% connectivity)
12 (15.2%)
Poor access (10-50% connectivity)
3 (3.8%)
Almost inaccessible (<10% connectivity)
6 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: All members please read and respond: Are you having trouble accessing the forum?  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
Site not accessible for about one hour.
(between approx. 21:15 and 22:15 CET.)

EDIT: and right now, it takes quite a while for pages to load.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
Well, now, isn't that ironic. I chose the "best" answer (>90% connectivity), read page 1 of this thread, and then, when I clicked to go to page 2 ...

... long delay, and then a message that the site wasn't responding. I was able to access other websites just fine.

This lasted half an hour or so, but now it's back. This is the only problem I've had since the move.

I'm using a laptop running Windows 10.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
Again about a half hour no connection,it is very worrying,it might  drives members away.

Experiencing similar access problems. Not with my mobile phone, but on my tablet using wifi at home.

Think I figured out how to change the server settings on my tablet, though I'm not keen on stuff like that...

Q
À chacun son goût.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Still absolutely no problems here at all.

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
Like others, couldn't connect earlier today, but now everything fine.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline GioCar

Browsing is fast as usual, but posting is a bit slow this morning (5-10 seconds).

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
Browsing is fast as usual, but posting is a bit slow this morning (5-10 seconds).

Almost the same here. Except that posting takes more than 20 seconds.
Laptop Windows 10 (updated), ADSL-connection.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Online Traverso

server not found-server not found and so on.Post vanished,had to write it again.

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
Just now, when I clicked the link to "Show new replies to [my] posts," I got an error message that the server is under high stress. I'm able to navigate other places in the site, though.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Home wifi: 100% access
Office: 0% access since April (my office has its own small ISP and if I change the DNS settings I fear IT would notice and yell at me)
Phone data: 50% access (easy access in my city, usually no access at other cities/towers)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Poor access until yesterday when I performed a manual mapping of the IP address, i.e. I am not relying on DNS to work out the site's address for itself. This seems to have fixed it for the last 24 hours or so.

Access had been deteriorating before that, started off being able to access at least once each day, down to failing all attempts for several days.

Problems were worse on broadband (Windows 7 PC) than on phone.
Manual mapping might be a solution for my office access problems...

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
Quoting Jeffrey Smith from the Facebook group:
Reporting a problem that needs to be brought to Rob's attention, and that doesn't seem to be connected to the general DNS problem. The forum is, apparently, not letting people register as new members.

I have repeatedly tried to register as a new member during the last week. The forum lets me accept the TOS, links me to the page to register user name, password, and email, and answer the bot-deterrent questions. If I make a typing error in the password process, it responds appropriately. Then I hit the register button and the form tells me "Database Error: if this happens again, notify an admin." I am guessing the software, for some reason, is not taking the final step of creating and adding the new account to the membership registry.

I waited until this morning to try to register with a different computer and with wifi, but the problem manifests with both of those, which is why I don't think it's related to the Server Not Found problem.

Speaking of the latter, going by the behavior of the browsers on my tablet, the problem continues, but not as badly as it has been this time last week.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline André

• Veteran member
Many instances of ‘server not found’ messages, but persevering eventually pays off.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Two messages yesterday (May 5th)  saying "Server Not Found," but not today.
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
Voted no problems, and rhen the site suddenly disappered with themessage site doesn't exist most of the Sunday.

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Quoting Jeffrey Smith from the Facebook group:

Thanks, I was about to duplicate your effort  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
All is well this morning! 

I can log in on my work computer, my data service on my phone and my wifi at home!

EDIT - and this post only took one second to load, most of that second was an odd pause by the forum after I clicked the button. But once it started, it was a split second to load. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 06:03:42 AM by George »
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
Last night (10pm-1am PST) it was horrendous with short intermittent windows allowing access.  This morning things seemed fine (9am PST) but it is seems intermittent - access - then suddenly no access.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
Does ‘t work on my Samsung Galaxy PAD. The old forum did. Works from my iphone/Safari and Windows PCs

Online Traverso

Two day's ago I reset my network settings and my ( again ) DNS server.I have no troubles since,I hope it stays that way. :)