Poll

Revised poll: Please let me know how good your access is to GMG since we moved to the new servers on April 4.

Good access (>90% connectivity)
58 (73.4%)
Intermittent access (50-90% connectivity)
12 (15.2%)
Poor access (10-50% connectivity)
3 (3.8%)
Almost inaccessible (<10% connectivity)
6 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: All members please read and respond: Are you having trouble accessing the forum?  (Read 3820 times)

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
Having similar issues as Florestan... and I don’t see any improvement over time... ::)

Could anyone confirm that changing the DSN server settings will deal with the problem?

Apart from my personal struggle, I'm wondering how we are going to attract new members if: A) they might not be able to access the site, and B) cannot register as a new member.  :(

Q

À chacun son goût.

Offline Traverso

Having similar issues as Florestan... and I don’t see any improvement over time... ::)

Could anyone confirm that changing the DSN server settings will deal with the problem?

Apart from my personal struggle, I'm wondering how we are going to attract new members if: A) they might not be able to access the site, and B) cannot register as a new member.  :(

Q

I did reset the network settings and changed the DNS server and for the fourth day in a row everything is really going well.
I did have many difficulties but at the moment it seems that it is finally solved.
There are many good and save DNS servers,I'm using the Google DNS server.
8.8.8.8  --   8.8.4.4

https://www.consumentenbond.nl/alles-in-1/alternatieve-dns-instellen
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:21:02 AM by Traverso »

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.

I did reset the network settings and changed the DNS server and for the fourth day in a row everything is really going well.
I did have many difficulties but at the moment it seems that it is finally solved.
There are many good and save DNS servers,I'm using the Google DNS server.
8.8.8.8  --   8.8.4.4

https://www.consumentenbond.nl/alles-in-1/alternatieve-dns-instellen

Thanks!!  :)
À chacun son goût.

Offline GioCar

For the first time I had some sporadic problems in the past two days, but I believe the server had been really inaccessible for some time. I mean, the problem had not been related to the DNS or other network settings.

When the site seems down or inaccessible, I'd suggest to ping the ip address of the server. That is, from the cmd screen, just type ping 209.182.194.169.
If there is an answer then it's more likely to be a DNS problem somewhere.
In case of no answer the server (or at least its network interface) possibly is down.

Offline Traverso

For the first time I had some sporadic problems in the past two days, but I believe the server had been really inaccessible for some time. I mean, the problem had not been related to the DNS or other network settings.

When the site seems down or inaccessible, I'd suggest to ping the ip address of the server. That is, from the cmd screen, just type ping 209.182.194.169.
In case of no answer the server (or at least its network interface) possibly is down.
I can't argue with that,terra incognita for me.All I can say is that changing the network settings and changing the DNS server seems to solve the problem for me.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
    Musik fra den himmelske by
The fact remains that the switch to a new server has not been for the better and has, by consequence, caused several members many problems and it seems this is still the case. In the process, we have lost several members each citing problems with GMG’s switch to a new server and how they can’t even access the site. Trust me when I say this, this isn’t an issue on any of these members’ end, it’s an issue with the new server. As for myself, things seem to be running pretty good right now, although I still have the occasional snag here and there.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member

Q

This is the only thing that I did and it solved my connectivity issues completely.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Baron Scarpia

Good suggestion. Actually, I'd recommend

ping www.good-music-guide.com

If everything is working you'll get something like

Pinging good-music-guide.com [209.182.194.169] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 209.182.194.169: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=57
Reply from 209.182.194.169: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 209.182.194.169:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 8ms

If your DNS is not working you will get something like

Ping request could not find host www.good-music-guide.comm. Please check the name and try again.

If your DNS is working but the site is down you will get something like

Pinging good-music-guide.com [209.182.194.169] with 32 bytes of data:
request timed out.
request timed out.
request timed out.
request timed out.

If you find your DNS is not working from the above test then you can try to ping directly

ping 209.182.195.169

Then it the server is working even though your DNS can't find it you will get.

Pinging 209.182.194.169 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 209.182.194.169:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 8ms

Or if the site is not working,

Pinging 209.182.194.169 with 32 bytes of data:
request timed out.
request timed out.
request timed out.
request timed out.

If ping to www.good-music-guide.com works but ping to 209.182.194.169 fails, then fixing your DNS configuration may solve your problem (look up instructions for google dns). Changing your DNS configuration is generally possible when using wifi or ethernet, but you may be locked into your providers DNS when using a cell connection.

Any, if you are interested in trying this, you should save these instructions, since you will not be able to refer to them if you can't reach the site. :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:11:08 AM by Baron Scarpia »

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
An interesting new phenomenon - I can reach the site and browse the threads, but posting generally results in a "cannot reach the site". Sometimes it works. About 50% of the posting works right now and the rest ends in a blank screen. However, persistency pays off (for now).
Kind of odd isn't it?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
I couldn't ping www.good-music-guide.com

However, the ping to 209.182.195.169 worked well.

I changed my DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and things got resolved (unless it was just a lucky break).  It seems like these issues abound, e.g.

https://serverfault.com/questions/584899/intermittently-unable-to-connect-to-specific-urls

0:)

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...

Q

The DNS change to 8.8.8.8 worked perfectly and there has been no issues whatsoever over the last two days.  However, the question you bring up, Q, about new members is a critical one.  I was a bit frustrated, but persisted since I like the forum. Would a new member persist or simply turn around? I suspect that most would choose the latter.
Perhaps it could be worthwhile to include some information on the registration pages in terms of the DNS settings? Or perhaps this has been done already?  Or would such information make a potential member turn around? Do you see any shift in new members over the last month compared to the past?

It is peculiar that this site causes DNS issues. I have never come across this problem in my time on the internet.
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

It is peculiar that this site causes DNS issues. I have never come across this problem in my time on the internet.

Related to the fact that the site was relocated and the name now resolves to a different IP number (perhaps I am repeating the obvious). It's a real puzzle.

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
Related to the fact that the site was relocated and the name now resolves to a different IP number (perhaps I am repeating the obvious). It's a real puzzle.

It is! I'm not savvy enough to understand the more global consequences (since this is an international forum to a great degree) and how this possibly impacts the site.  I hope new members don't enter the frustrated realm.  :-[
Anna Lappé

Offline milk

• Veteran member
why does this site work for short periods in between not working?

Online North Star

• Veteran member
why does this site work for short periods in between not working?
It works for me for long periods and occasionally doesn't work, must be because of our primary/secondary domain name servers using the wrong IP address or something.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
I noted (in the statistics section) that there has been 0 new members in April and May. Is that data accurate?  :'(
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

Some members who deleted their accounts in the hope that they would have success with a new account reported (on facebook) that they could not create a new account. However this doesn't exclude the possibility that they can't create an account for the same reason that they had difficulty connecting.

However, I just tried to create a new account using an alternate email, just to see what would happen. I got an error, "database error" and could not continue.

Dead site walking.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:10:52 PM by Baron Scarpia »

Baron Scarpia

My experience is consistent. No difficulties whatsoever on any wifi network. Using cellular data the domain is not found between 1/2 and 1/3 of the time. It is generally possible to set your preferred DNS server when connecting with Wifi or ethernet, but when using cellular data you are stuck with what the cell carrier specifies, so nothing to be done but hope it gets fixed.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
Some members who deleted their accounts in the hope that they would have success with a new account reported (on facebook) that they could not create a new account. However this doesn't exclude the possibility that they can't create an account for the same reason that they had difficulty connecting.

However, I just tried to create a new account using an alternate email, just to see what would happen. I got an error, "database error" and could not continue.

Dead site walking.
Multiple people have brought this up over the past few weeks but it seems like there has been no progress or even acknowledgment that there is an issue.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
Multiple people have brought this up over the past few weeks but it seems like there has been no progress or even acknowledgment that there is an issue.

Rob hasn't been active at the forum since 2.5.18., so he has probably not seen all the posts.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.