Author Topic: Do I 'Will' My Music Library to A GMGer?  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: Do I 'Will' My Music Library to A GMGer?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 03:38:56 AM »
That poses a different problem though - if you have your personal copies don't you have to either keep the CDs or destroy them?

I don't really know the ins and outs of the legal aspects of that. But morally, with the thought of royalties going to the performer (and composer if still alive), that only happens the first time it gets sold, which was to me. So I really don't care if it is legal or not. I would far rather give them away/ sell them cheap than have them piled to the ceiling in my spare bedroom like they are now. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 06:10:22 AM »
I don't really know the ins and outs of the legal aspects of that. But morally, with the thought of royalties going to the performer (and composer if still alive), that only happens the first time it gets sold, which was to me. So I really don't care if it is legal or not. I would far rather give them away/ sell them cheap than have them piled to the ceiling in my spare bedroom like they are now. :)
But if everyone buys a CD only to rip it and then sell it on, the performers/composers will get royalties from just that one CD sold.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 06:15:45 AM »
Say you will when you won’t, unh-unh, honey, don’t . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 06:50:48 AM »

8)

It is not clear to me if this means that you view is that you are within your rights to give CDs away after you have ripped them.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »
What will happen to this Music Library (under 1000 CDs) after I'm gone?

I broached this subject not so very long ago and I was surprised that someone in my family expressed an interest in my collection after my demise. Ask the question and you also may be surprised.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 07:18:38 AM »

It does prompt me to think about the shocking amount of stuff I've accumulated that no one will want to deal with when I'm gone.

This is a bigger problem than we think. I have seen the result more than once when people have died and left lots of stuff behind. It can be a big problem to deal with for people left behind particularly if the deceased has left no indication of what they want done.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 07:45:13 AM »
Notice how snyprrr hasn’t even bothered to respond to this thread. Either he’s laughing his ass off at this thread (and us) or he’s seriously in some kind of danger.
read for a couple of days

Lol, no,... duh, I simply forgot I Posted the Th

... and there is computer magic again...

... so, yea, I mean, it did seem like a legit question,- though, seriously, when it's all boiled down, there aren't that many really rare items worth more than $5 anyways.

I actually DID liquidate my Pop Library @1999, totally, but, I can't think of anything that I truly can't just hear on YT. With Classical, you don't know if you can hear a specific recording or not...

Anyhow, I'm actually surprised by the Thread Activity! Huh,... well, we're not getting younger,... I wonder what will be the last thing I ever...covet...

p

still haven't read the whole Thread, just wanted to duty u

Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
Re: Do I 'Will' My Music Library to A GMGer? WHOOOPS!!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 07:46:21 AM »
sorry everytone, I totally forgot I Posted this :-[ :-X :-\ :-X :-[ :-X :-\

Haydn-Sikh

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 09:20:19 PM »
My Lester 1926 Baby Grand!!! Worth my sticking around for a few more years!
The heck with the CD's but some books I would like to keep.
Now, how can that be managed?
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 10:28:24 PM »
Say you will when you won’t, unh-unh, honey, don’t . . . .

C'mon Carl Karl, one more time for Marc!
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 11:34:31 PM »
If I'm lucky, I have still another 25 years or so left (will turn 49 next month).

By that time nobody that doesn't have one foot in the grave will be interested in physical CDs. People already quietly gasp for breath when they hear that I still collect those silver discs....  ::)

That apart from the fact that probably no one will be around with a similar musical taste.
In my experience the best way to handle a problem you can't solve, is to ignore it.... :D

I won't be around anyway, and I can't be bothered with elaborate hypothetical "library" schemes.
Trust me, in the 2040's there won't be any library or charity that still wants that stuff!  :laugh:

Q

PS But in the meantime, you can leave it all to me....  >:D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 12:12:57 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2018, 05:49:44 AM »
It is not clear to me if this means that you view is that you are within your rights to give CDs away after you have ripped them.

It's not entirely clear to me, either. However, I can tell you I have no moral problem with it. If it's illegal, well, hard cheese then.

8)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2018, 06:53:13 AM »
If I'm lucky, I have still another 25 years or so left (will turn 49 next month).

By that time nobody that doesn't have one foot in the grave will be interested in physical CDs. People already quietly gasp for breath when they hear that I still collect those silver discs....  ::)

That apart from the fact that there probably on one will be around with a similar musical taste.
I my experience the best way to handle a problem you can't solve, is to ignore it.... :D

I won't be around anyway, and I can't be bothered with elaborate hypothetical "library" schemes.
Trust me, in the 2040's there won't be any library or charity that still wants that stuff!  :laugh:

Q

Have you not noticed how quickly the desire for "retro" items comes around. The 2040 hipsters, like those of today seeking out vinyl, will covet CDs  ;D

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2018, 07:00:13 AM »
It's not entirely clear to me, either. However, I can tell you I have no moral problem with it. If it's illegal, well, hard cheese then.

Illegal is too strong a word, I think, it is a violation of the license agreement you implicitly agreed to when you purchased the recording.

Personally, I don't do it because it deprives the content creator of the revenue that would have been produced if whoever I sold or gave it to had to buy a new copy.

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2018, 07:05:09 AM »
Have you not noticed how quickly the desire for "retro" items comes around. The 2040 hipsters, like those of today seeking out vinyl, will covet CDs  ;D

That apart from the fact that there probably on one will be around with a similar musical taste.
I my experience the best way to handle a problem you can't solve, is to ignore it.... :D

Q

Point... CounterPoint!!

Well, all of my 'Library' is already in @30+ NewReleaseCartons that hold 30 CDs, you know, the one's you would get on Tuesday morning (NewRelease Day universally) at Tower Records...

so, the Library is already in it's own portable Vault o' Coffins, just waiting to be either

a)buried

b)cremated

Yea, maybe I just needed to face the futility of it all... what's the line, "Who will know what comes after him to screw up his legacy"... what verse was that?...

Ah, Death 'n' Chocolate :'( :laugh:

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 07:28:22 AM »
Personally, I don't do it because it deprives the content creator of the revenue that would have been produced if whoever I sold or gave it to had to buy a new copy.

Which assumes that they actually would do that. My belief (I can't quote a number and won't make one up) is that most won't get it at all. Or they will buy a used copy, which also doesn't accrue anything to the content creator. Or download an illegal copy from the Internet (so easy to do!). It's a bag of turds from nearly any angle. But if I give something away or else sell it at far below what the artificial market for used copies goes, I can sleep well at night. I've done far worse things in my long, adventurous life!  :)

8)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 07:38:11 AM »
[...] I've done far worse things in my long, adventurous life!  :)

8)

At least, you have never had to hire Rudolph William Louis Giuliani as legal counsel!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 07:40:28 AM »
Which assumes that they actually would do that. My belief (I can't quote a number and won't make one up) is that most won't get it at all. Or they will buy a used copy, which also doesn't accrue anything to the content creator. Or download an illegal copy from the Internet (so easy to do!). It's a bag of turds from nearly any angle. But if I give something away or else sell it at far below what the artificial market for used copies goes, I can sleep well at night. I've done far worse things in my long, adventurous life!  :)

8)

I won't presume to advise you, but I feel that if I sold it, I don't own it anymore. Selling it and keeping it doesn't sit well with me. (I have a relative who makes a living producing classical recordings, so it hits close to home.)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »
At least, you have never had to hire Rudolph William Louis Giuliani as legal counsel!

As far as you know... ;)

8)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 08:44:44 AM »
Passed as emended, Mister Secretary.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA