Author Topic: Do I 'Will' My Music Library to A GMGer?  (Read 2353 times)

Baron Scarpia

Re: Do I 'Will' My Music Library to A GMGer?
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 08:46:09 AM »
As far as you know... ;)

From the fact that you are not posting from a penitentiary I will assume you have not retained Mr Giuliani as legal council...   :D

Online Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2018, 08:48:16 AM »
I won't presume to advise you, but I feel that if I sold it, I don't own it anymore. Selling it and keeping it doesn't sit well with me. (I have a relative who makes a living producing classical recordings, so it hits close to home.)

Actually, I still own the first CD I ever bought, I have never sold one (lost one once, still pissed. Kept the MP3's I had ripped though). I was talking more about what I might do in the future within the context of this thread. As someone mentioned earlier, no library in the world wants them. It is a problem, given the huge investment I've made over the years. My wife sure as hell doesn't want them, assuming she outlives me.

I do feel that anytime someone buys a used CD, they are in the same moral position that you are against here. Even if they pay $100 for it (look on Amazon Marketplace!), not a penny goes to anyone involved in making it. There is simply no clear moral high ground for anyone to occupy. :-\

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Online Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2018, 08:49:41 AM »
Passed as emended, Mister Secretary.
From the fact that you are not posting from a penitentiary I will assume you have not retained Mr Giuliani as legal council...   :D

:D  No, I may have been wayward, but I was never an actual shitheel. :)

8)

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2018, 08:57:47 AM »
Actually, I still own the first CD I ever bought, I have never sold one (lost one once, still pissed. Kept the MP3's I had ripped though). I was talking more about what I might do in the future within the context of this thread. As someone mentioned earlier, no library in the world wants them. It is a problem, given the huge investment I've made over the years. My wife sure as hell doesn't want them, assuming she outlives me.

As far as a bequeathal (is that a word?) I see no basis to prevent them being sold or donated.

I do feel that anytime someone buys a used CD, they are in the same moral position that you are against here. Even if they pay $100 for it (look on Amazon Marketplace!), not a penny goes to anyone involved in making it. There is simply no clear moral high ground for anyone to occupy. :-\

As before, I would not presume to advise you, but if you own the original sound carrier, I see no objection to selling it. You purchased a license to listen to the recording, and now you transfer that license to someone else. They gained access and you lost access. The publisher sold one record and one person has access to it, even if it is not the same person they originally sold it to. My objection to ripping and selling is that they sold one copy and now two people have it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:00:25 AM by Baron Scarpia »

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2018, 09:48:43 AM »
Bequest is possibly better.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2018, 09:50:51 AM »
D'oh!

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2018, 10:04:06 AM »
With the new estate tax exemption of $11.18 million and rate of 45%, you might want to consider a life insurance policy to cover potential tax liabilities to your estate.
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Online Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2018, 11:03:45 AM »
With the new estate tax exemption of $11.18 million and rate of 45%, you might want to consider a life insurance policy to cover potential tax liabilities to your estate.

:D  Probably good advice for some, but I live the totally carefree life of the nearly indigent, so no sweat there. ;)

8)

Offline DaveF

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2018, 11:18:35 PM »
I'm quite happy to leave all my recordings of Gesualdo, Paganini, Wagner and that dreadful atheist Shostakovich to someone, as where I'm going I'll be hanging out with those guys.  Recordings of Byrd, Bach, Haydn and Messiaen I'm afraid I'll have to take with me, as no other way of hearing them there.
"Just because I like something, it doesn't mean it's any good."

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2018, 08:03:33 AM »
I'm quite happy to leave all my recordings of Gesualdo, Paganini, Wagner and that dreadful atheist Shostakovich to someone, as where I'm going I'll be hanging out with those guys.  Recordings of Byrd, Bach, Haydn and Messiaen I'm afraid I'll have to take with me, as no other way of hearing them there.

Sounds like you're not going to the good place.  :o

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »
This is an oddly pleasant and good-natured thread.
   With album collections and private libraries, used to be second hand store managers would come to your house and make a bid (pathetically low, as a rule) on your collection. I hope my family does that with mine. They'll need the money!
It's all good...

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2018, 11:52:16 PM »
This is an oddly pleasant and good-natured thread.
   With album collections and private libraries, used to be second hand store managers would come to your house and make a bid (pathetically low, as a rule) on your collection. I hope my family does that with mine. They'll need the money!

Yes, but then they might discover how much you actually spent on said collection  ;D
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline RebLem

• New Mexico flag
    • Facebook
    8 piles of CDs--1) vocal works, 2) orchestral works, 3) big boxes, 4) chamber music, 5) concerti 6) chamber music, 7) artist focused issues, 8) solo instrumental works.
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2018, 09:57:04 AM »
I have willed my collection to a public radio station in Garden City, Kansas.  A number of years ago, that city was challenged by a bunch of Klansmen who came to town to agitate against the immigration of a number of Vietnamese immigrants to the community.  The community organized to resist, and they turned the racists away and did it with such elan they won a community service award from the Southern Poverty Law Center.  So I decided this was a good community for me to reward with my gift.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2018, 12:13:31 AM »
Yes, but then they might discover how much you actually spent on said collection  ;D

Then they could get my "investment" back and consider it to have been put in the bank, so to speak :P
Much more likely is that the agent will offer such a tiny fraction of the collection's worth that they will weep at how frugal I was, how I stinted my own pleasures to save everything for them...
It's all good...

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2018, 07:17:12 AM »

Much more likely is that the agent will offer such a tiny fraction of the collection's worth that they will weep at how frugal I was, how I stinted my own pleasures to save everything for them...

I did not think of that  :laugh:
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2018, 11:50:26 AM »
This is a bigger problem than we think. I have seen the result more than once when people have died and left lots of stuff behind. It can be a big problem to deal with for people left behind particularly if the deceased has left no indication of what they want done.

A very good friend of mine didn’t die, he just sank into depression, deserted his apartment and hit the streets. I carted off dozens and dozens of boxes of books, DVDs and CDs to the second hand shops - had to put his works of art in storage, too.

Following that, my daughter had this comment: (pointing to my CD collection) « When you go, ‘Pa, make sure you get rid of all that. We don’t want the trouble ».  ::)

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2018, 12:31:02 PM »
A very good friend of mine didn’t die, he just sank into depression, deserted his apartment and hit the streets. I carted off dozens and dozens of boxes of books, DVDs and CDs to the second hand shops - had to put his works of art in storage, too.

That's disturbing, abandoned his comfortable life to go homeless (in Quebec, no less)? Still out there?

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2018, 05:07:34 PM »
Come winter he found a room to stay in. He thinks of hitting the road again. Has travelled the worls with a pack sack. He has lost all interest in earthly possessions (not that he had much). The guys has 2 bachelor degrees, a masters and a doctorate. We keep in touch now and then.

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2018, 08:12:47 AM »
Come winter he found a room to stay in. He thinks of hitting the road again. Has travelled the worls with a pack sack. He has lost all interest in earthly possessions (not that he had much). The guys has 2 bachelor degrees, a masters and a doctorate. We keep in touch now and then.

I've gone from feeling sorry for him to being envious...

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2018, 05:00:23 AM »
I've gone from feeling sorry for him to being envious...

I know what you mean.
It's all good...

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.