Author Topic: New Music –> new classical music audiences  (Read 840 times)

Online jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
Re: New Music –> new classical music audiences
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2018, 06:21:57 AM »
Wrong! Dead wrong, actually! Piano music is much more important, and much more influential than, guitar music! You can twist your head as much as you want, this is a fact!

I mean that you seem to think that music written after you were born is more interesting and beautiful than music written before you were born -- and this is certainly not true as far as I am concerned.

I think guitar and piano in all their history, all their versions etc. have shown to be extremely versatile and important instruments in their own right and in their own way. I've never thought before that someone could actually proclaim one to be more important than the other, so this is a first for me! Congratulations. :)

Most of the music I love most are pieces from before I was born....why are you deciding what music I like or find beautiful simply to proclaim that what you decide of me isn't true?

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2018, 06:27:52 AM »
Stalin was actually good

If you really think Stalin was actually good, then there can be no common ground between the two of us. Please add me to your "!ignore" list, just as I did with you.
Wie? Es wäre nicht erlaubt und möglich, in Tönen zu denken und in Worten und Gedanken zu musizieren? - Ludwig Tieck

Nu mă-ncântați nici cu clasici,
Nici cu stil curat și antic ­—
Toate-mi sunt de o potrivă,
Eu rămân ce-am fost: romantic. - Mihai Eminescu

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
  • Currently Listening to:
    Van, Mose, Bach, Brahms, Miles, Kris, Willie, Prine, Monk
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2018, 06:27:59 AM »
I haven't (and partly because it isn't something that I would let anyone try to teach me), but I have met people who teach in institutions like that who are willing to push that exact agenda (and less extreme variations) onto their students.

When I was in music school (this was the early 1970s) my composition teacher told me that if I wrote in anything like a tonal style (I had mentioned that Poulenc was one of my favorite composers) he would flunk me.  Back then, atonalism ruled.

I ignored him and got a 'B'  :(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:30:01 AM by San Antone »

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2018, 06:36:55 AM »
Stalin was obviously a repressive dictator who oversaw a massive police state, like every other Russian leader before or after him. But he did have a pretty good mustache.

Online jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2018, 06:41:05 AM »
When I was in music school (this was the early 1970s) my composition teacher told me that if I wrote in anything like a tonal style (I had mentioned that Poulenc was one of my favorite composers) he would flunk me.  Back then, atonalism ruled.

I ignored him and got a 'B'  :(

So he didn't flunk you? :laugh:

Online jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2018, 06:42:08 AM »
Stalin was obviously a repressive dictator who oversaw a massive police state, like every other Russian leader before or after him. But he did have a pretty good mustache.

It seems worrying that Florestan even needs to be reminded of this.........

(Does Florestan even pay attention to amw's posts in general? If he did then surely it would be rather obvious that she doesn't have much good to say about his kind of regime)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:52:52 AM by jessop »

Online jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2018, 06:53:21 AM »
Sheesh, what a thread. If Florestan wants to continue his tangent, he can PM me or start a different thread to address his concerns.