Author Topic: Why Do Pianos Go "left2right" Instead of "right2left"?  (Read 746 times)

snyprrr

Why Do Pianos Go "left2right" Instead of "right2left"?
« on: June 04, 2018, 04:37:41 AM »
Orient-Occident thing? I would have thought most peoples' right arm would be more powerful, for bass,...

???

Just curious...

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: Why Do Pianos Go "left2right" Instead of "right2left"?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 09:31:45 AM »
Right handedness may contribute more to dexterity than to raw strength? I would rather play the busier line with my dominant hand...which unfortunately is my left...

Offline some guy

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Music
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 01:31:02 PM »
Well, it is certainly true that right handedness and dexterity are related....

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 03:08:30 AM »
Id est, dexter is the Latin for right.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 06:12:23 AM »
Id est, dexter is the Latin for right.

How sinister.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 06:15:20 AM »
Right handedness may contribute more to dexterity than to raw strength? I would rather play the busier line with my dominant hand...which unfortunately is my left...

So is it the case that generally in 16th and 17th century keyboard music the RH has the busier line? I mean I suppose the piano is just inheriting an organ and clavichord and harpsichord convention.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:17:13 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 06:46:26 AM »
There is a left-handed fortepiano...

Not like it can't be done. I've also seen pictures of a mirror-image Blüthner Grand...

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 08:17:24 AM »
So is it the case that generally in 16th and 17th century keyboard music the RH has the busier line? I mean I suppose the piano is just inheriting an organ and clavichord and harpsichord convention.

Despite the ideal of polyphony of equal voices, it is easier to perceive complex and rapid figuration in treble registers, so it seems natural to me that music would typically be written requiring greater dexterity from the hand assigned to the treble register.

snyprrr

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 10:17:55 AM »
incredible responses, thanks ;)... "dexter"...

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 08:03:07 AM »
Maybe because the heart is on the left, so there might be a feeling of grounding coming from that side?
Just a speculation.
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 08:41:19 AM »
How sinister.
Sinister is all that's left once you skip dexter.
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 03:38:46 AM »
Well a left handed player could always reverse string the instrument, like Jimi Hendrix did with his strat
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 06:30:46 AM »
Why Do Pianos Go "left2right" Instead of "right2left"?

?noitseuq taerg a si sihT

Offline relm1

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 04:24:48 AM »
Orient-Occident thing? I would have thought most peoples' right arm would be more powerful, for bass,...

???

Just curious...

Because the melody is in the right hand most of the time so you don't actually want to blast out the powerful bass at the expense of the melodic line.  Additionally, pianists train for equal control of all their fingers so the weak pinky you play more firmly and lighten up on the thumb for example so to get a consistent tone.

Offline starrynight

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 11:42:12 AM »
Don't people in the West think more in terms of left to right because that's how the writing script is, music notation also goes left to right, in effect representing time moving forward in left to right movement.  In the case of pitch though we also talking more of a bottom to top vertical idea in our mind too, and other instruments may represent that idea better than a keyboard.

Offline Capeditiea

• Gnosis Goddess of Art and Creativity
    • The Official Website of Capeditiea
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 02:27:56 AM »
I would be completely confused if i was to suddenly hear my right hand playing bass... and the left playing treble. :O

i mean it would present a fairly interesting shift and would make me curious as to how it would sound.

my left hand is dominant for writing but right hand is more dominant in about everything else. *nods,

Offline some guy

• Veteran member
    Music
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 11:40:27 AM »
So this is a variant of a question I ask myself about most thread starters: why are the premises almost always simply accepted?

For this one, it's "Why do you say that pianos go "left2right"? Could one not equally say that they already go "right2left"? Or, even better, that they "go" neither.

I'd like everyone to watch someone playing piano. Maybe that someone is your own sweet self. Doesn't matter. Just watch.

Did you see that? The hands go back and forth across the keyboard. There's no one direction. The only thing one can say is that either the frequencies go from lower on the left to higher on the right OR they go from higher on the right to lower on the left. Either one is the same. But however the frequencies were arranged, the hands would still go back and forth all over the whole keyboard. That part would be the same, eh?

Offline Capeditiea

• Gnosis Goddess of Art and Creativity
    • The Official Website of Capeditiea
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 12:00:02 PM »
So this is a variant of a question I ask myself about most thread starters: why are the premises almost always simply accepted?

For this one, it's "Why do you say that pianos go "left2right"? Could one not equally say that they already go "right2left"? Or, even better, that they "go" neither.

I'd like everyone to watch someone playing piano. Maybe that someone is your own sweet self. Doesn't matter. Just watch.

Did you see that? The hands go back and forth across the keyboard. There's no one direction. The only thing one can say is that either the frequencies go from lower on the left to higher on the right OR they go from higher on the right to lower on the left. Either one is the same. But however the frequencies were arranged, the hands would still go back and forth all over the whole keyboard. That part would be the same, eh?

true. though the sound coming out would be really odd. :O (i might compose a two movement sonata based on this factor. it does seem interesting.)

But still, if it is a piece i knew and suddenly the piano were to have the opposite direction, the muscle memory would invoke mistakes left and right. (pun intended)

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.