Author Topic: The Poldark Thread  (Read 249 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
The Poldark Thread
« on: June 09, 2018, 10:13:51 PM »
So will you be watching Tonight? (UK)
Maybe I shouldn't admit that I really like this series and find it great fun, with excellent acting. I recall finding the original series insufferably boring but was probably too young at the time to appreciate it.
Is it shown in USA and elsewhere?
I guess the answer must be yes - it's done wonders for the tourist trade in Cornwall.

Apologies if there's a pre-existing Poldark thread (probably started by me  ::)) - I couldn't find anything under the 'search' facility.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 10:18:02 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Wendell_E

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    mostly opera and chamber music
Re: The Poldark Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 03:19:04 AM »

Is it shown in USA and elsewhere?

It's shown in the USA on PBS. I've never seen it, but the e-mail I get from Alabama Public Television are always promoting it.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 07:35:19 AM »
I've watched the first 3 seasons and enjoyed them all. I admit that I'm not so much attracted to the storyline as to the Cornish settings and the recreation of the period. It's also interesting to see how the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution (mining, stock companies, etc.) are integrated into the story.

I'm not familiar with the novels or with the previous TV series.

BTW, this town in Wisconsin is well worth a visit - one of the few places in the USA with a strong Cornish heritage:

https://mineralpoint.com/

You can go to the Red Rooster Cafe and order a Cornish dessert called figgy hobbin. The waitress wears a T-shirt that says "There's always room for figgy hobbin!"
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Online drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »

Back in the '70s and '80s I watched many fine British series when they came to the U.S. Poldark wasn't one of them, I had the notion that it was not up to the standards of my favorites. Recently I watched the original series and liked it, though my instincts were correct that it wasn't on the level of The Forsyte Saga or Upstairs, Downstairs.

I was wrong about The Pallisers. That's really good.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Online Biffo

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »
Digressing, I never got into The Pallisers though later read all the novels. The other BBC Trollope adaptation, Barchester Chronicles is one of the best things they have ever done.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 12:22:56 PM »
Thanks for interesting responses. I thought that tonight's episode was up to the usual standard. The appalling vicar is my favourite character!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 11:12:16 AM »
Sadly the evil vicar is no more although few will mourn for him. Apparently the brilliant actor who played him (Christian Brassington) liked to put on the vicar's voice off-set to tease his real wife and his 'screen wife' - neither of them were apparently amused.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 12:01:10 PM »
Seasons 1-3 are on Amazon Prime.

I thought for sure they were setting up the Morwenna/Ossie plotline for a real tragedy (Morwenna hangs for murdering her husband in desperation!)  but it was satisfying to see him dead.  Her sending Drake away was pretty predictable.  Will the widow Whitworth find solace?  Watch season 5 to find out...

So far George has conspired on 2 arsons, and there is at least one implied murder that may have been just Tom Harry's idea.  Am I missing any more felonies?

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 02:33:40 PM »
Seasons 1-3 are on Amazon Prime.

I thought for sure they were setting up the Morwenna/Ossie plotline for a real tragedy (Morwenna hangs for murdering her husband in desperation!)  but it was satisfying to see him dead.  Her sending Drake away was pretty predictable.  Will the widow Whitworth find solace?  Watch season 5 to find out...

So far George has conspired on 2 arsons, and there is at least one implied murder that may have been just Tom Harry's idea.  Am I missing any more felonies?

Yes, I thought that the same fate might be in store for Morwenna but happily not yet anyway. I shall miss Ossie but his ghastly mother is still there.