Author Topic: Romeo Cascarino (1922-2002)  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Oates

Romeo Cascarino (1922-2002)
« on: June 19, 2018, 02:29:47 AM »
Given the number of fans of Vaughan Williams, Moeran etc that are active on this forum I thought it worth dropping in the unlikely name of Romeo Cascarino, who produced a small body of very lush, atmospheric pastoral orchestral works that do compare with the RVW idiom despite Cascarino being from the United States. We have Naxos and JoAnn Falletta to thank for a gorgeous CD of premier recordings.

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.559266

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: Romeo Cascarino (1922-2002)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 07:05:46 PM »
Sounds right up my alley! This name somehow slipped under my radar...thanks for bringing him up!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Oates

Re: Romeo Cascarino (1922-2002)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 11:50:23 PM »
Yes, I think Cascarino is a name that slips under many a radar - his name sounds like he could be an Italian tenor or flamboyant conductor! The music is beautifully atmospheric, mostly calming and delicate but with powerful flourishes along the way. Inspired by literary works (Browning, Poe) and Greek myths. The CD makes me wish he'd composed more - its a slim but perfectly formed body of work. The CD notes quote his dismissal of atonal composers: "If they could write a melody, they would write a melody."