Author Topic: The future of this forum  (Read 755 times)

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
The future of this forum
« on: July 11, 2018, 03:23:20 AM »
Dear all

My apologies for not posting updates or explanations. Usual excuses - busy with work, family, other projects. But mainly, a bit ashamed I stuffed up the server transfer.

I realise the forum its not working as it should. Some people can't access, nobody can register, and many other issues. Either the forum software or the database didn't transfer fully. I'm not sure which. I fiddled with some parameters and settings, patched a few patches, and used a lot of duct tape, but still some problems persist. I'm human. I got discouraged. I abandoned you. Shame on me. But I simply don't know how to fix it.

But I do have a cunning plan. Currently this forum runs on Simple Machines Forum version 2.0.15. The next version will be 2.1.0, and is currently in a beta 3 stage. When it is a release version, I can completely overhaul the software to the new version. Along with that, there is usually a database update tool which upgrades the database to the new software. I am hoping that will give us a fresh start (while keeping all the data preserved) and get things running smoothly again.  ETA for 2.1.0 unknown.

If that fails, we have 2 options:
1. Pay somebody who knows more about these things than I do to try to fix it. The paying part is easy, the finding somebody part is the tricky bit.
2. Put this forum into retirement, or read-only mode, and start afresh with a new one. I had to do this once before. It would be a last-resort option.

cheers from winter in Canberra
Rob

 Macs are better. They just are.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: The future of this forum
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:31:39 AM »
Dear all

My apologies for not posting updates or explanations. Usual excuses - busy with work, family, other projects. But mainly, a bit ashamed I stuffed up the server transfer.

I realise the forum its not working as it should. Some people can't access, nobody can register, and many other issues. Either the forum software or the database didn't transfer fully. I'm not sure which. I fiddled with some parameters and settings, patched a few patches, and used a lot of duct tape, but still some problems persist. I'm human. I got discouraged. I abandoned you. Shame on me. But I simply don't know how to fix it.

But I do have a cunning plan. Currently this forum runs on Simple Machines Forum version 2.0.15. The next version will be 2.1.0, and is currently in a beta 3 stage. When it is a release version, I can completely overhaul the software to the new version. Along with that, there is usually a database update tool which upgrades the database to the new software. I am hoping that will give us a fresh start (while keeping all the data preserved) and get things running smoothly again.  ETA for 2.1.0 unknown.

1. Pay somebody who knows more about these things than I do to try to fix it. The paying part is easy, the finding somebody part is the tricky bit.
2. Put this forum into retirement, or read-only mode, and start afresh with a new one. I had to do this once before. It would be a last-resort option.

Rob

Rob,
Such a pleasure hearing from you. Actually, I think most of us were more concerned about you than we were the Forum.

Other than the bit about not letting in new members, which sort of has us in a stranglehold, the rest of it seems to be something we have managed to live with. There has also been some discussion about finding someone to help you fix it, so now we know you aren't rotting in some Outback sinkhole, bold adventurer that you are, maybe someone will follow up with ideas about helping find a who...

Cheers,
GB 8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 03:47:45 AM »
Winter in Canberra, why does it seem so inviting?

Pleased almost beyond endurance to hear from you and to know that you're well, Rob.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 04:10:52 AM »

Pleased almost beyond endurance to hear from you and to know that you're well, Rob.

Amen!   0:)
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 05:14:17 AM »
Other than the bit about not letting in new members, which sort of has us in a stranglehold, the rest of it seems to be something we have managed to live with.
Worth pointing out that according to forum stats, June 2018 was the fewest new posts written since May 2016, and there is a chance that our current month may become the lowest-posted month in New GMG history. (September 2015 is the competition.) June 2018 saw the fewest new topics created in New GMG history, and July is on pace to be slightly lower. However, overall page views haven't been affected to the same degree - people are still reading the forum, but participation is nearing a historic low, perhaps because no new members have been able to register since April 1 exactly.

(Rob, is it any sort of clue that new member registration worked on March 31 but ceased on April 1?)

I will ask around if anyone I know has experience about this.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 07:13:33 AM »
Hi Rob - glad to see you posting again and happy that you are fine - sorry about the forum issues - hoping for good news in the near future!  Dave :)

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 07:32:32 AM »
Hi Rob,
Good to hear something from Canberra. That´s already good news!
Fingers crossed that the 2.1.0 option is gonna work.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 08:08:33 AM »
I am so glad that you are healthy and well. Honestly, you've relieved my mind on that score.

We all make mistakes and we all understand that you do this out of love. SO you made a mistake - big deal. Mistakes are fixable, though I admit I am unable to help you on that score. Still, I will ask around to see if there is anyone who can help.

Chin up. You've done a wonderful job over the years. Don't let the immediate challenge overwhelm or discourage you. We're all on your side - we've always been so.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 12:05:38 PM »
I've talked to a couple of friends in IT.

One has offered to help. He has run SMF before and works in IT and thinks he may be able to sort things if he can get internal access. Please feel free to PM me and I can set up the introduction.

Another did not offer to help but did give me the following comments:

"it's using two NS - ns1.gasbag.net and ns2.gasbag.net. I'm 90% sure that the problem is one of the NS has incomplete records."
"don't think it's the board access that's needed. it's access to gasbag.net
the easy way to test it is www.whatsmydns.net
just check the A record for www.good-music-guide.com and good-music-guide.com - when it's broken, its because the record is just missing for half the NS in the country"

Offline Andante

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 06:39:58 PM »
If its any consolation Talk Classical is completely down again.
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 12:23:54 AM »
For me, it's GMG, or it's nowhere  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 05:17:08 AM »

The last couple of mornings it's been anything but. Brrrr.

Though we do get exquisite blue skies in the afternoon as compensation.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 06:05:28 AM »
Put a sweater on and wait a few days  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 06:50:31 AM »
Dear all

Rob

Thanks, Rob! Sorry this has turned into such a headache, and adding my public appreciation for all that you do.

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Online André

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 09:20:40 AM »
For me, it's GMG, or it's nowhere  8)

+ 1

All the technical talk flies 35000 feet above my head, up there with jetliners  :). Whatever the outcome, thanks for all you’ve done Rob.  ;)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mozart painted by Jean-Baptiste Greuze, 1763-64
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 11:41:14 AM »
Rob is fine. That's all I care for, honestly. I am relieved.
Music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter and charm it, and thereby always remain music.. - Mozart

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 02:03:17 PM »
Rob is fine. That's all I care for, honestly. I am relieved.

So am I. I think all of us are.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 12:34:45 PM »

This can only work if the forum doesn’t die before the new release - ie enough people can access it who are willing to keep it a lively melting pot of ideas. Those forum satatistics that Brian quoted are sobering.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 12:41:55 PM »
GMG will not die.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 12:51:10 PM »
Worth pointing out that according to forum stats, June 2018 was the fewest new posts written since May 2016, and there is a chance that our current month may become the lowest-posted month in New GMG history. (September 2015 is the competition.) June 2018 saw the fewest new topics created in New GMG history, and July is on pace to be slightly lower. However, overall page views haven't been affected to the same degree - people are still reading the forum, but participation is nearing a historic low, perhaps because no new members have been able to register since April 1 exactly.

(Rob, is it any sort of clue that new member registration worked on March 31 but ceased on April 1?)

I will ask around if anyone I know has experience about this.
And if you subtract the posts in the Trump thread from that count?
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum