Author Topic: Schumann solo piano music  (Read 25289 times)

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
Re: Schumann solo piano music
« Reply #220 on: May 12, 2017, 01:49:49 AM »
I have another disc with Glemser (incl Sonata #2) and as far as I recall it is pretty good (collaboration with Swiss Radio).

Yes, the disc with Brahms' third. That's sonically better if I remember correctly. Recorded 3 and a half years earlier (the bad disc is Swiss Radio too).

But the sonatas are not really Schumann's best music (maybe #1).

I agree. The sonatas were a disappointment to me and the bad sonics didn't help appreciating the music.  :P

Try the Fantasie op.17, Carnaval (this one and the "Toccata" might be the most obviously "brilliant" and also very accessible pieces), the Symphonic Etudes (one of the more "classical", less fancifully romantic pieces), Kreisleriana, Davidsbündlertänze and Fantasiestücke (the last three all very fanciful and romantic).

Thanks for this list!  :)  Out of these recommendations I have Kreisleriana, Davidsbündlertänze and Fantasiestücke.

As you like baroque music you might try a few of his that were somewhat influenced by (mainly) Bach: Toccata op.7, Fughetten and especially the "canonic studies" for Pedal piano (there are arrangements for normal pianos).

Sounds interesting! Anything influenced by Bach is interesting.

If you like any Lieder, try Schumann's Dichterliebe and the op.39 Eichendorff-Lieder.

Perhaps not my alley...

I also love a lot his chamber music; the most popular piece is the piano quintet but the piano quartet is as good (and more in a chamber style) and the trios, quartets and violin sonatas all worth listening to. Although I like his symphonies I am not sure they are his strongest pieces.

Yes, chamber music seems perhaps the most interesting part of his output and in fact about half of my Schumann collection is chamber music. But I don't have all of it.

So, Fantasie op.17, Carnaval, the Symphonic Etudes, Toccata op.7, Fughetten the "canonic studies" and rest of his chamber music is where to look next.  :)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »
there are also people with a gift for writing eloquently  about all kinds of stuff, including music and performances.  The latter is not necessarily related to having great understanding or conveying useful information but sometimes it is and in any case it gives the appearance of being deeply familiar with a lot of music in a lot of performances.

Yes, I would say that an authoritative writing style does not necessarily indicate knowledge or discernment. And even someone who has all of those things may have wildly different taste than the reader.

ETA: I actually have not read this thread yet, was speaking generally.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:09:45 PM by Pat B »

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »
there are also people with a gift for writing eloquently  about all kinds of stuff, including music and performances.  The latter is not necessarily related to having great understanding or conveying useful information
@me next time

Offline Turner

« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2017, 01:22:16 AM »
I´ve ordered the Le Sage complete piano works set, quite cheap at JPC.de currently, as a supplement to my other recordings. Judging from the samples, he seems to give a lot of life to the lesser known pieces as well, and his style suits my taste, so:  looking forward.

Offline Turner

« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2017, 10:32:26 AM »
I´ve ordered the Le Sage complete piano works set, quite cheap at JPC.de currently, as a supplement to my other recordings. Judging from the samples, he seems to give a lot of life to the lesser known pieces as well, and his style suits my taste, so:  looking forward.

Unfortunately I can´t find the Arabeske opus 18 in this box set, which is supposed to be the complete piano works, and even though it is listed at JPC.de´s and Presto Classical´s lists of the content of the CD box
(https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Robert-Schumann-1810-1856-Das-Klavierwerk/hnum/1287680)
(http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/llf/-/Eric%2Ble%2BSage%2BSchumann/1)

The same possibly applies to the Geisterthema Variations.
CD 13 only has the 9 tracks of Waldszenen, and a playing time just around 20 mins.

Has anyone found it, or experienced the same problem? Is it hiding somewhere among the tracks, and thus missed by the booklet or CD covers listing the content? I know the piece, but haven´t heard all the discs or the many tracks yet ...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:46:41 AM by Turner »

Offline Turner

« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2017, 11:00:07 AM »
OK, problem solved, via downloading the accompanying liner notes as a PDF file, 185 pages.

In the CD box itself, a CD cover contains an error; it omits that in CD 12, Track no.4 is the Arabeske, and of course not a 4th track of the "3 Romanzen op.28" as listed.
In the small booklet of the CD box, the Arabeske op.18 is indeed listed as track 4 on CD 12, but it is not highlighted like it should.

The Geister Variations (1854) are likewise on CD 12, just called Variations there.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:09:18 AM by Turner »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK