Author Topic: Which five composers do you wish had lived five fewer years?  (Read 388 times)

Offline DaveF

Which five composers do you wish had lived five fewer years?
« on: August 16, 2018, 10:50:58 PM »
All those five-year stays that we've been so blithely granting to Schubert, Mozart, Debussy etc. gotta be paid back somehow, y'know.  Perhaps we could knock five years off those who went into prolonged retirement - Byrd, Sibelius.  Perhaps it would be humane to spare Berlioz the pain and bereavement of his later years.  Or perhaps (much more interesting) there are some pieces of unfortunate drivel from their composers' final five that you really think the musical world should have been spared...
"Just because I like something, it doesn't mean it's any good."

Offline relm1

Re: Which five composers do you wish had lived five fewer years?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 05:32:58 AM »
Well Leonard Rosenman did get Alzheimers.  That's a sad way to go for an otherwise brilliant career.  Perhaps cutting him loose 5 years earlier would have been humane.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 07:22:23 AM »
Well Leonard Rosenman did get Alzheimers.  That's a sad way to go for an otherwise brilliant career.  Perhaps cutting him loose 5 years earlier would have been humane.
Sad indeed - a fine composer.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 11:34:26 AM »
Is there a composer who destroyed many of their works shortly before their death? Like if Paul Dukas' self-destructive habits were limited to his final five years?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells on Magic Nights
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 03:44:38 PM »
Oh jeez...what a negative thread! Any composer whose music means anything to me I’d wish they had lived longer. Debussy, Mahler, and Nielsen come to mind as I believe they still had so much more music in them.
“It must be beautiful, or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 03:53:48 AM »
Oh jeez...what a negative thread! Any composer whose music means anything to me I’d wish they had lived longer. Debussy, Mahler, and Nielsen come to mind as I believe they still had so much more music in them.
Perhaps you have noticed already, but there is a positive version of this thread too.  :)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 11:01:29 AM »
Well, Anon certainly outlived his usefulness... :D

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.