Author Topic: Album covers and their connection to the music  (Read 3546 times)

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy: La Danse (1910)
Re: Album covers and their connection to the music
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2018, 04:31:01 AM »

.... who's the target audience?
The same audience these are targeted at, I presume  :D:

Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et avec le fer de sa houe il cassa la glace
De la source ou jadis riaient les naïades... »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2018, 07:37:08 AM »

noticed this today on streaming. who's the target audience?

Hah! That's actually an excellent cover!

I once wrote a poem which contains the lines:

Someone, somewhere still listens to
The violin --- woman with a wooden body.

(translated from the original Romanian)

So I'd say that whoever does not see any resemblance between the cover above and this:

is not a true poet.

:laugh:

“Meanwhile thy spirit lifts its pinions
In music's most serene dominions;
Catching the winds that fan that happy heaven.
And we sail on, away, afar
Without a course, without a star,
But by the instinct of sweet music driven." — Shelley

Offline 2dogs

• Currently Listening to:
    Avant garde, musique concrete & elektronische klang
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2018, 10:22:14 PM »
True Florestan, I did notice this one.

Just listen to the samples LOL :P.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:27:41 PM by 2dogs »

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2018, 11:05:33 PM »

noticed this today on streaming. who's the target audience?

The same audience these are targeted at, I presume  :D:

I recall that, somewhere around the start of 2013 (Anno Domini), our administrator got a warning from Google for a violation of 'decency' rules or something like that, and that it could have consequences (don't recall what kind of consequences... probably had something to do with advertising and/or blocking GMG from search results). The Google turmoil was caused by a picture of yours truly, of an unclothed female violinist who had fallen and was lying next to a broken violin. Nothing indecent to be seen, except for a nip slip, but Rob got the Google warning nevertheless.

Curious what will happen with these naughty naughty naughty pics...
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »
Sorry to divert attention away from the more captivating images above but just wanted to say that I think this painting is a great choice for Shostakovich's 13th Symphony commemorating the wartime massacre at Babi-Yar. I much prefer it to the semi-abstract later release of the same recording at mid-price.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Online Irons

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2019, 01:30:25 AM »
Sorry to divert attention away from the more captivating images above but just wanted to say that I think this painting is a great choice for Shostakovich's 13th Symphony commemorating the wartime massacre at Babi-Yar. I much prefer it to the semi-abstract later release of the same recording at mid-price.

A powerful image. Is the artist credited?

Another Shostakovich cover I find haunting, the title as much as the painting itself by V A Serov "The Winter Palace is Ours".

So, no applause, please. Never applaud political slogans. Only applaud in a concert hall - and only if you like the performance. (Rostislav Dubinsky)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2019, 03:41:54 AM »
The original issues of Jansons' DSCH series also had authentic Soviet cover art

This one is cheesy but well done:

cf. a cover with the original Friedrich painting (Kaufmann apparently lost his walking stick, though)

Another good one although as it often happens with Baroque music the painting is about a century older than the music. It gets worse with Dürer or even Italian quattrocento paintings for JS  Bach covers. Would anyone ever think of using a Tiepolo cover for Brahms or Bruckner...?

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline 2dogs

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2019, 05:33:13 AM »
This one is cheesy but well done:

cf. a cover with the original Friedrich painting (Kaufmann apparently lost his walking stick, though)

Interesting - did that steep sided mountain that would have been below the Decca logo fall down?

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2019, 05:57:14 AM »
Maybe.  A lot can happen in 200 years.  In time the Rockies may crumble, Gibraltar may tumble. They're only made of clay...
Or it is just covered by mist.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline 2dogs

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2019, 06:17:23 AM »
Maybe.  A lot can happen in 200 years.  In time the Rockies may crumble, Gibraltar may tumble. They're only made of clay...
Or it is just covered by mist.

True, the Rotorua hot spring terraced pools in New Zealand were advertised as the Eighth Wonder of the World until being trashed by a volcano in 1886. It's not mist in your picture though as the ridge beyond would not be visible. Maybe the older painting has had a bit of artistic licence applied for drama and balance.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2019, 06:46:09 AM »
It was certainly edited out in the Decca Cover. But the Friedrich is not a realistic landscape either, I am sure. There is a picture by him of the Watzmann and as far as I recall the view depicted also uses some artistic license. (And he was criticized for this by contemporaries.)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Watzmann_(Gem%C3%A4lde)
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2019, 07:01:36 AM »
It was certainly edited out in the Decca Cover. But the Friedrich is not a realistic landscape either, I am sure. There is a picture by him of the Watzmann and as far as I recall the view depicted also uses some artistic license. (And he was criticized for this by contemporaries.)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Watzmann_(Gem%C3%A4lde)

Unless I have mistranslated (always a possibility) Friedrich never visited the Alps and his painting of the Watzmann was based on a watercolour by Johann August Heinrich and also a painting by Ludwig Richter. It seems likely that his other alpine views, including the one on the DG cover, are fanciful.

At a slight tangent the DG Originals reissue of the Pollini Wanderer Fantasy has the same cover but it is coupled with Schumann's Fantasie, Op 17. I wonder what happened to D845, is it available elsewhere?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:48:06 AM by Biffo »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2019, 07:09:33 AM »
A powerful image. Is the artist credited?

Another Shostakovich cover I find haunting, the title as much as the painting itself by V A Serov "The Winter Palace is Ours".

Yes, it is called 'Landscape' by Boris Scherbakov. I agree with you about the image on the front of the EMI/Melodiya recording of Shostakovich's 11th Symphony. I remember the LP well as one of my friend's owned a copy. I purchased a copy of the Melodiya release (with a different cover image) at a Soviet Union exhibition in Earl's Court (where I grew up) in the 1970s.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2019, 07:57:45 AM »
Another good one although as it often happens with Baroque music the painting is about a century older than the music. It gets worse with Dürer or even Italian quattrocento paintings for JS  Bach covers. Would anyone ever think of using a Tiepolo cover for Brahms or Bruckner...?

Yeah, but Arcimboldo and Biber belong mainly to the same mindset, whereas Tiepolo and Bruckner are galaxies apart. Tiepolo would be a mismatch even for Verdi.
“Meanwhile thy spirit lifts its pinions
In music's most serene dominions;
Catching the winds that fan that happy heaven.
And we sail on, away, afar
Without a course, without a star,
But by the instinct of sweet music driven." — Shelley

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2019, 08:36:14 AM »
True, if I had not found the Arcimboldo painting a good match, I would not have posted it. (I am still debating myself whether I should eventually get the disc, I have about half of the very recordings in different couplings by MAK - and I think I have a whole book on Arcimboldo, so I hardly need the cover...) I think his Seasons were also used for Vivaldi's and Haydn's seasons, though...
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2019, 08:45:44 AM »
Unless I have mistranslated (always a possibility) Friedrich never visited the Alps and his painting of the Watzmann was based on a watercolur by Johann August Heinrich and also a painting by Ludwig Richter. It seems likely that his other alpine views, including the one on the DG cover, are fanciful.
you are right. But the Richter painting was more precisely depicting the actual landscape and therefore preferred.

At a slight tangent the DG Originals reissue of the Pollini Wanderer Fantasy has the same cover but it is coupled with Schumann's Fantasie, Op 17. I wonder what happened to D845, is it available elsewhere?
Yes, for some reason they re-shuffled the pieces in the Originals re-issue (or was the first CD issue re-shuffled from the LPs?) which is annoying for me who likes to shelve discs by composer.

(Bob Dylan)

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »
you are right. But the Richter painting was more precisely depicting the actual landscape and therefore preferred.
Yes, for some reason they re-shuffled the pieces in the Originals re-issue (or was the first CD issue re-shuffled from the LPs?) which is annoying for me who likes to shelve discs by composer.

Thanks for the info. The Schubert/Schumann coupling looks interesting but I will check I haven't already got the Schumann in some other combination.

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2019, 12:53:36 PM »
It was certainly edited out in the Decca Cover.

It’s just a tighter crop than DG’s. You can see the bottom of the mountain’s left slope at the cover’s right edge, just below the Decca logo.

ETA: I am not at all a fan of the Kaufmann superimposition.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 12:59:50 PM by Pat B »

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »
Right! That mountain is immediately to the right of the Decca logo just beyond the edge of the part shown on the .cover
(Bob Dylan)

Offline 2dogs

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2019, 10:04:28 PM »
Oh yes, the Decca art department wanted Kaufmann to be the dominant figure, not the awe inspiring landscape.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.