Author Topic: Saxophone solos in orchestral music that sound like rock/pop sax solos  (Read 388 times)

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
Whenever I've heard the saxophone in classical music, it sounds nice, but never full-on. Where are the sax solos that sound like what you'd hear in rock and pop music, making use of glissandi and whatever?

Offline DaveF

Re: Saxophone solos in orchestral music that sound like rock/pop sax solos
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 11:40:13 AM »
Birtwistle's Panic is pretty full-on.  And Job's Comforters in VW's ballet are rather oily and glissando-y in a cocktail jazz sort of way.
"Just because I like something, it doesn't mean it's any good."

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 11:47:49 AM »
Whenever I've heard the saxophone in classical music, it sounds nice, but never full-on. Where are the sax solos that sound like what you'd hear in rock and pop music, making use of glissandi and whatever?

I think that's a very fair comment.  Just recently though I heard for the 1st time the Richard Rodney Bennett Saxophone Concerto on the new Chandos disc.  I can't make comparisons having not heard any other versions but on Chandos the saxophonist Howard McGill is quite superb precisely because he is a player absolutely steeped in the Jazz side of playing as well being completely at ease with the "symphonic" aspect of the work too.  His tonal range and jazz feel is absolutely top drawer.  I really enjoyed this work

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 05:10:10 AM »
Henze's 3rd Symphony
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 12:14:32 PM »
HINDEMITH: Piano Concerto (1945)   The Four Temperaments
Siegfried Mauser, piano    Frankfurt Radio S.O.     Werner Andreas Albert, cond.

d'INDY Symphony no.3 "De bello Gallico" op. 73
Saugefleurie op. 21   Souvenirs op. 62
Strasbourg Philharmonic O.   Theodor Guschlbauer, cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."