Author Topic: Car Flooded -- any advice?  (Read 729 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Car Flooded -- any advice?
« on: November 30, 2018, 08:50:20 AM »
Three weeks ago my car flooded with rainwater, up to about an inch above the carpet on one side of the vehicle. It's a Nissan. The engine is fine.

I took it to a local garage, who found that leaves were blocking one of the drains, and that one of the seals on the boot door wasn't working properly. They pumped out the visible water, they said to just be patient, it'll eventually dry. I'm not totally convinced.

I've started to cover the carpet with a moisture absorbent granules.

Three weeks later I notice a slight musty smell and that the car gets more misty than it should overnight.

What do I do?  I've just been told it's not an insurance claim, because it's wear and tear.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 08:52:41 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: Car Flooded -- any advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 08:56:21 AM »
Remove all the affected carpet. Patience is not going to help it dry under there. I know it sucks because it's a big job; I've done it! Once you have cleaned the carpet and it is thoroughly dry underneath, then you can replace it. I say this because the carpet holding in the moisture will cause rust on the floor pans.

BTW, your insurance company are a bunch of lying scum, they just don't want to pay for it to be professionally done. Appeal it. Wear and tear, my ass! >:(

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 09:17:44 AM »
I had a minor flood (left a window open) which resulted in drenched carpet but no standing water. After a long time and some carpet shampooing the smell went away.

I was curious, removing the carpet is doable, but not a minor job. Seems like you typically have to remove the seats.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-reduce-the-damage-to-a-flooded-car-by-jason-unrau

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »
Remove all the affected carpet. Patience is not going to help it dry under there. I know it sucks because it's a big job; I've done it! Once you have cleaned the carpet and it is thoroughly dry underneath, then you can replace it. I say this because the carpet holding in the moisture will cause rust on the floor pans.

BTW, your insurance company are a bunch of lying scum, they just don't want to pay for it to be professionally done. Appeal it. Wear and tear, my ass! >:(

8)

I owe you a drink!

I just rang the insurers again and claimed for the damage caused by the water rather than the repairs to the seals and drains. They said "no problem" and they'll pick up the car next week. Thank you -- it's a relief to have it properly under control.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:58:56 AM by Mandryka »

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 09:46:06 AM »
Best result possible.

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 12:10:13 PM »
In some cars there can be potential issues with the airbag if the car gets flooded. Make sure to inquire with the dealer about that.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 12:14:21 PM »
Glad it had a positive outcome.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 01:35:08 PM »
I owe you a drink!

I just rang the insurers again and claimed for the damage caused by the water rather than the repairs to the seals and drains. They said "no problem" and they'll pick up the car next week. Thank you -- it's a relief to have it properly under control.

Hah, wonderful! You really didn't want to do it yourself (as I said, I have) it is, precisely as Scarps says, 'not a minor job'. Alright then! :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 05:03:50 AM »
In some cars there can be potential issues with the airbag if the car gets flooded. Make sure to inquire with the dealer about that.

Thanks for that bit of advice.