Author Topic: George Bush Snr  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
Re: George Bush Snr
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2018, 07:47:32 AM »
I didn't say bad things never happen. Half a million or more people are removed per year. You've cited a handful of deaths, not all of which were deliberate.

Donald Trump's conduct has been a disgrace, but any country has a right to decide who is permitted to enter and who isn't.
She cites the prosecution of a man for murder as evidence he was allowed to kill. Puerile.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2018, 11:41:24 AM »
I didn't say bad things never happen. Half a million or more people are removed per year. You've cited a handful of deaths, not all of which were deliberate.

Donald Trump's conduct has been a disgrace, but any country has a right to decide who is permitted to enter and who isn't.

She cites the prosecution of a man for murder as evidence he was allowed to kill. Puerile.

She's an unabashed apologist for Stalin and communism --- what else can you expect from her other than ideologically motivated, blatant distortion of reality?
“Beauty must appeal to the senses, must provide us with immediate enjoyment, must impress us or insinuate itself into us without any effort on our part." --- Claude Debussy

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2018, 07:11:26 AM »
I think of Gulf War One as an example of "destroying the village in order to save it", so I'd see an analogy closer to Vietnam than WW2.

I'd amend that to Gulf War II, only a half million casualties!
“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.”

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2018, 07:16:58 AM »
But there is something to be said for intent.

There is.  Especially for victors who get to rationalize the immoral, criminal, and evil acts performed in their name.  I doubt the hundreds of thousands of civilians incinerated by Allied bombs convinced themselves of the good intent of the underlying strategic decisions.

Of course, if there is something to be said for intent, one might wonder what can be said about the world being forced by the US to adopt the US dollar as the primary reserve currency rather than the world using an alternative (eg, a currency basket).  The intent there doesn't seem so wholesome.  One can also sort of determine an intent not quite as wholesome as you imply when reconsidering the strategic bombing and fire bombing campaigns while also considering the fact that the strategies had strong critics at the time, and that they have been found lacking in strategic merit since the war. 

Victors write history, and all that.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2018, 07:30:01 AM »
So we're back to the only thing worse than Nazis are people who defeat Nazis.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2018, 07:31:21 AM »
So we're back to the only thing worse than Nazis are people who defeat Nazis.

Meh.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations