Author Topic: Forgetting and improvising the end of a Mozart sonata  (Read 1216 times)

Offline OscoBosco

Forgetting and improvising the end of a Mozart sonata
« on: December 16, 2018, 05:36:23 PM »
On my last recital, I performed the first two movements of Mozart's Piano Sonata in F Major K533. Coming to a close in the second movement, I forgot the chord I was supposed to play and started to improvise through a variety of keys until arriving back home to B Flat Major for the final remaining bars of the piece. If you look closely, you can see me smiling all the way through the ending.

Skip to 5:30 if you don't want to listen to the whole thing––but it is a good Mozart movement :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taCy8JsoqVc

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Re: Forgetting and improvising the end of a Mozart sonata
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 01:04:06 AM »
On my last recital, I performed the first two movements of Mozart's Piano Sonata in F Major K533. Coming to a close in the second movement, I forgot the chord I was supposed to play and started to improvise through a variety of keys until arriving back home to B Flat Major for the final remaining bars of the piece. If you look closely, you can see me smiling all the way through the ending.

Skip to 5:30 if you don't want to listen to the whole thing––but it is a good Mozart movement :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taCy8JsoqVc
I wouldn't have noticed anything amiss - well done!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 01:16:17 AM »
I wouldn't have noticed anything amiss - well done!

It's probably the Mozartian way of solving problems like these, too. ;)
Just carry on and improvise.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 07:29:01 AM »
You're not the first. In recital once, I heard Sergio Fiorentino drop 4-5 pages from the Beethoven op. 110. Midway through the Goldbergs, Charles Rosen had a memory slip and had to stop completely before he could find his place again. But those are probably a little harder to improvise your way out of.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 12:44:54 PM »
The D minor Fantasy K397 was never finished by Mozart so I imagine that early performers had to do what you did - improvise. Today, nearly all pianists use the ending written by August Muller. Uchida uses her own which I prefer to the Muller.
Cheers

Holden

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.