Author Topic: Your Favorite Villain/s in Literature  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
Re: Your Favorite Villain/s in Literature
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2019, 07:30:37 AM »
How were Villefort's other family members responsible for what GĂ©rard de Villefort did? The mass murders throughout history have been committed on the basis that "sins of the fathers shall be visited on the children". Make no mistake, this was not the only reason. Being a power-hungry monster either born or bred certainly was a major factor in this. But it still doesn't change the horrific things  the Jews, for example, were forced to go through the centuries because their ancestors allegedly crucified Christ or were responsible for it.

See? Exactly like I said before: you go into far fetched and absurd comparisons. The topic was Edmond Dantes and you brought in first Stalin and now the plight of the Jews through the centuries. What's next, the Ottoman genocide against Armenians?

Try a little exercise: put yourself into Edmond Dantes' shoes and ask yourself: what would I have done if I had been him? Are you that sure you'd not have done what he eventually did?
"I compose music because I must give utterance to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts." --- Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Jaakko Keskinen

• Veteran member
  • Huge fan of 19th and 20th century art.
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2019, 07:33:34 AM »
Try a little exercise: put yourself into Edmond Dantes' shoes and ask yourself: what would I have done if I had been him? Are you that sure you'd not have done what he eventually did?

I have. And I wouldn't consider it impossible. However, did it ever occur to you that I might consider myself (a potential) real-life villain?
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2019, 09:36:51 AM »
I have. And I wouldn't consider it impossible. However, did it ever occur to you that I might consider myself (a potential) real-life villain?

Anyone, myself included, is a potential real-life villain.  :laugh:
"I compose music because I must give utterance to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts." --- Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2019, 12:16:55 PM »
Anyone, myself included, is a potential real-life villain.  :laugh:

FTFY

:P ;D
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2019, 12:19:07 PM »
FTFY

:P ;D

Go on, confess! Whom have you murdered in the last 24 hours?  :P ;D

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2019, 12:41:09 PM »
Go on, confess! Whom have you murdered in the last 24 hours?  :P ;D
Statute of limitations.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2019, 02:51:43 PM »
I second the Stavrogin mention. The most evil and best written character I've ever read.

Of the two villains in Devils, I think Peter Verkhovensky is far more vile than Stavrogin, who would never have stooped to Peter's conniving, desire to control, and pettiness. There is a touch of grandeur in Stavrogin's nihilism and sociopathy. He is the raw power worms like Peter have to harness to raise themselves from the mud.