Author Topic: Hungarian food and wines  (Read 453 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Hungarian food and wines
« on: December 20, 2018, 09:24:14 AM »
A new deli has opened very near me, full of food and wine from Hungary. So I want to explore a little. Please use this thread to post recommendations, recipes you have enjoyed etc.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Draško

Re: Hungarian food and wines
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »

Pacalpörkölt - tripe stew

My favorite Hungarian dish. No recipe I'm afraid, it's quite a hassle to prepare, I eat it in restaurants always.

And after that, for dessert:

Mákos Tészta - sweet pasta with poppy seeds

There are bunch of different recipes, some with milk some without, some baked some not ...

Offline pjme

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »
Do they sell paprikás csirke?  Some sort of gulyás? Possibly szilvas gomboc?

Buy at least a tube of (sweet) paprika paste and some salami. Pickled (dill) gherkins.

Do they offer pastry????

Be carefull: eat it all with moderation. Popular Hungarian food is fat, often very salty, very high in calories and thus basically really bad for you. But it can be extremely dlicious. My mother - born in Budapest - made a (Viennese...) inspired gulyás that was very rich and fragrant.
P.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:00:53 AM by pjme »

bwv 1080

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »
Supposedly the Zinfandel grape originated in Hungary, although all I have had is Tokaji aszú, which I did not care for

Paprika is the same species (albeit modified after a century or so of breeding) as the New Mexico chile as they both are of Mexican origin.  Goulash and Texas Chili are essentially the same dish

Offline pjme

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 01:13:37 PM »
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/goulash-origins-food-history-atlas-of-eating-soup-smithsonian-journeys-travel-quarterly-danube-180958690/

I make goulash often with lamb or mutton, but beef, pork even horse can be used, of course. It is important to NOT burn the paprika powder (Édes on the label indicates it is a mild chili, erős a hotter one.

I'm not familiar with the wines. I do like a little sip of Tokaji aszú "pour parfumer la bouche".

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »
Thanks for these ideas, I like the thought of pasta and poppy seeds.

The shop sells wines, it has some Tokaji of course, but also some table wines, red and white. Any recommendations appreciated, and liqueurs.

There are very few Hungarian restaurants in London that I know. The Gay Hussar was famous, but it was run by Poles for a long time and it closed recently anyway. A few months ago I was driving in some neighbourhood I hardly know, Lewisham or Catford, and I felt peckish and found this really authentic Hungarian place with a huge wine list, the proprietor was proud of his wines. Anyway it was lunch time and so I just ordered a soup, which came with some paprika sauce to stir in. I had no idea how hot that sauce was! What a mistake!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 01:43:21 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen