Author Topic: Chaos at Gatwick Airport  (Read 687 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Chaos at Gatwick Airport
« on: December 20, 2018, 02:06:39 PM »
We live quite near to this airport which has been brought to a standstill by a drone being flown near the runways. Noticeably I've heard no aircraft overhead all day. Very sad for the 100,000+ people who've had their holidays and other trips ruined.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-sussex-46564814
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
Re: Chaos at Gatwick Airport
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »
As if anyone needed yet another reason to avoid air travel (this said as a lifelong aviation enthusiast, whose childhood dream was to become a pilot)! This is very scary indeed, especially when one thinks of possible mid-air collisions and the fact that there are apparently no reliable systems in place to conteract multiple drones acting in concert. When/if they catch the scum responsible for this, I hope they are locked away for a LONG time, along with the lowlifes who point lasers at aircraft. Someone needs to make an example of these clowns. (unless of course it's our good allies the Saudis, in which case Bob's your uncle!)

Interesting article here. https://www.vox.com/world/2018/12/20/18150695/gatwick-airport-drone-closed-shut-down-flights-canceled
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:32:38 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 04:34:41 PM »
Probably a hedge fund that has shorted airline stocks is behind it.

Astonishing that this can go one for two days. And I would have thought that the military would have some sort of drone killer technology for a situation like this.  All they would need would be another drone to chase it and crash into it, or set of a little explosive, or zap it with an EM pulse to disable its electronics.

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 04:43:04 PM »
Probably a hedge fund that has shorted airline stocks is behind it.

Thought crime right there! They'll be knocking on your door any minute now. Was nice knowing you.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 04:49:01 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
I've a Canadian dancer coming to the UK in order to spend Xmas with me. She's already changed her itinerary as much as possible to meet me in Edinburgh by train. Far more expensive.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 12:33:01 AM »
I gather that the Dutch train birds of prey to bring the drones down.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 12:35:18 AM »
As if anyone needed yet another reason to avoid air travel (this said as a lifelong aviation enthusiast, whose childhood dream was to become a pilot)! This is very scary indeed, especially when one thinks of possible mid-air collisions and the fact that there are apparently no reliable systems in place to conteract multiple drones acting in concert. When/if they catch the scum responsible for this, I hope they are locked away for a LONG time, along with the lowlifes who point lasers at aircraft. Someone needs to make an example of these clowns. (unless of course it's our good allies the Saudis, in which case Bob's your uncle!)

Interesting article here. https://www.vox.com/world/2018/12/20/18150695/gatwick-airport-drone-closed-shut-down-flights-canceled
That was my childhood dream too! However, as a child, I did get to go into the cockpit of a BAC 1-11 aircraft during a flight. Wouldn't be allowed now.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 10:08:14 AM »
Runway now closed again having reopened!

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 12:11:56 AM »
Runway now closed again having reopened!

Open again and now two people arrested.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 05:34:08 AM »
They have now both been released without charge.
Meanwhile some of the tabloid press have featured photos of the two of them on the front page with headlines such as:

'Are these the two morons who ruined Christmas?'

Oh dear...

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 09:29:03 AM »
Now I'm reading that the police are floating the idea that there were no drones (just a hysterical reaction to the idea that they were there). During the entire even no one was able to get a single photo or video of a drone, or any material evidence.

Yet two people were arrested and paraded before the press.

I don't know about the U.K., but in the U.S. you can suffer severe consequences just for being arrested (and being entered in the criminal justice system) even if you are released without charge.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 01:19:03 AM »
Now I'm reading that the police are floating the idea that there were no drones (just a hysterical reaction to the idea that they were there). During the entire even no one was able to get a single photo or video of a drone, or any material evidence.

Yet two people were arrested and paraded before the press.

I don't know about the U.K., but in the U.S. you can suffer severe consequences just for being arrested (and being entered in the criminal justice system) even if you are released without charge.

Not a great advert for Sussex police!