Author Topic: Musical New Year's Resolutions  (Read 763 times)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
Re: Musical New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 09:54:41 AM »
During the summer I successfully listened to two huge boxes where I had only been scratching at the surface for several years: the big Rubinstein and Francois. (I did not quite get through the Britten conducts non-Britten).
For a few months I was also able to restrain my buying considerably although I relapsed  in the last quarter of 2018. But I'll try to continue this double strategy: Listen to unlistened or almost unlistened discs I already have and buy considerably less, especially of music already well represented in my collection.

The problems with "culling" are that it is a lot of work, I often cannot decide what I prefer. Especially with large works like Bruckner or Mahler symphonies (a field where I feel that I have a few too many recordings relative to how I actually listen to them) I can hardly listen to two recordings back to back. So I would have to take notes etc. all of which seems to much work. Especially because selling discs is also work without profit and I have almost no occasion to give them to people or charities around here. So I simply have to restrict the new acquisitions more severely.

My last acquisition of 2018 was a disc I mainly bought as collector, Gabrieli canzoni & sonate with Parrott because I love that Archiv series (only mildly interested in the music). My first order to arrive hopefully in a few days was the EMI box with Larrocha's recordings of Spanish music about 80% or more of which should be new music for me.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:24:49 AM by Jo498 »
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 10:08:18 AM »
My resolution is to buy less and listen more.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 12:04:52 PM »
Mine is to listen to more vocal music! It’s an area which has always been a blind spot of mine, but recently I’ve been discovering some truly wonderful music in this area that is reminding me what I’ve been missing!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 03:53:10 PM »
Allow me to offer - to those who did not notice it elsewhere - my recently resurrected work for two violins and piano entitled New Year's Resolution!

Maybe someone's New Year's Resolution is to hear New Year's Resolution??? 8)

The score:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wnh1zexs3k2e9qv/New_Year%2527s_Resolution.pdf/file

The mp3 MIDI (which has problems following the score, but...)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/y53ua1yug5by5cy/New_Year%2527s_Resolution_%25282%2529.mp3/file

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 05:20:12 PM »
Attend more concerts. And get back to focused listening on a regular basis, which my recent nomadic life didn't really allow. I'm finally moving into a new apartment soon, eager to dust off the trusty Onkyo and get back to business. Those Prokofiev symphonies I got for Christmas ain't gonna listen to themselves..

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 05:22:54 PM »
My resolution is to re-rip my collection to FLAC at a slower pace so that I can enjoy all the discs in my collection again. I find the slower I go, the more I enjoy everything about the process.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 05:27:40 PM »
Re-kindle my former love for opera, starting with Verdi - the composer I used to name among my favorites.

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2019, 06:56:34 PM »
I plan to stop buying cds altogether. There is enough free stuff between Amazon Prime, Sirius XM radio to keep me entertained. If I just take all the potential money I saved and just buy penny stocks I would probably strike it rich someday.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 02:43:48 AM »
I plan to stop buying cds altogether. There is enough free stuff between Amazon Prime, Sirius XM radio to keep me entertained. If I just take all the potential money I saved and just buy penny stocks I would probably strike it rich someday.

So you can buy a lot of CDs!   :D

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2019, 03:04:17 AM »
My resolution is to buy less and listen more.

Me, too.
I'm gonna count my musical blessings in 2019.

In fact, I will continue to do that, because I already started around the end of last year's summer. I think that I have plenty of cd's and music in da house, and I'm planning to listen to (and enjoy!) what I already have, with the odd exception here and there when I can't resist to buy something new. This way of enjoying my musical life felt good during the last 4 or 5 months, so… I'm gonna carry on!

Of course, I will attend a few concerts too… especially next summer, when a certain kind of 'organ fever' will strike me (again). ;)
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2019, 07:06:29 AM »
I have 22,777 tracks in my music library (out of a total of 110k at the moment) that I have never listened to, along with a fairly large backlog of music that hasn't yet been added to the library (162 GB in lossless = approximately 500 CDs). I guess my goal is to listen to more of that un-listened-to stuff instead of things I already know.

Also go to more concerts if I have time/money, now that I'm done with university hopefully for ever & will be unemployed starting in February.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2019, 09:35:06 AM »
Make more time for listening to music.  Listen to music more with a friend(s) [Did that for the first time in ages (A male friend brought some of his LPs over) and thoroughly enjoyed it.   :)

Attend more concerts.

Go to the Met movies more often.

Do that ever painful (and slow) process, like others here, and get rid of some of my CDs/LPs.

And see if the old Gerrard record player that I recently picked up at a charity shop works/is worth repairing [probably not, but it looked so lonely and had those ever priceless words "Made in England" on it, so I just had to take it home!].

And a belated Happy New Years to all!

PD

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2019, 09:43:55 AM »
I have 22,777 tracks in my music library (out of a total of 110k at the moment) that I have never listened to, along with a fairly large backlog of music that hasn't yet been added to the library (162 GB in lossless = approximately 500 CDs). I guess my goal is to listen to more of that un-listened-to stuff instead of things I already know.

Also go to more concerts if I have time/money, now that I'm done with university hopefully for ever & will be unemployed starting in February.

did you finish your Ph.D?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2019, 02:05:49 PM »
did you finish your Ph.D?
Yes although I haven't gone thru the whole thing of having it bound, deposited in the library, etc.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2019, 02:19:16 PM »
Make more time for listening to music.  Listen to music more with a friend(s) [Did that for the first time in ages (A male friend brought some of his LPs over) and thoroughly enjoyed it.   :)

Attend more concerts.

Go to the Met movies more often.

Do that ever painful (and slow) process, like others here, and get rid of some of my CDs/LPs.

And see if the old Gerrard record player that I recently picked up at a charity shop works/is worth repairing [probably not, but it looked so lonely and had those ever priceless words "Made in England" on it, so I just had to take it home!].

And a belated Happy New Years to all!

PD
I think you mean Garrard. In which case I had one of those fine old turntables in my youth.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »
Yes although I haven't gone thru the whole thing of having it bound, deposited in the library, etc.

Well done you -- I wrote the first sentence of mine, and immediately decided that I really had nothing to say, it was the extension of a masters thesis on logic, I then wasted a year messing around in Oxford, and then got a job in London.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2019, 07:38:35 AM »
But why will it be easier to remember post here than in your notes?

I have a listening journal which I keep in a Google doc, so it is available everywhere and can be updated with any device, computer, phone, tablet. Now you've reminded me of my main worry with google drive, the actual file does not get mirrored on your hard drive, only a handle the actual data stored in google's cloud. What if I somehow loose access to my google account? Well, in that case the listening journal will be the least of my problems. :(
Sorry, just saw this. The answer is most of my "first listens" are via streaming (NML) at work, and my office doesn't watch to see what message boards I visit  ;D

Also, congrats amw!

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2019, 07:40:13 AM »
I think you mean Garrard. In which case I had one of those fine old turntables in my youth.  :)

Yes, thank you.  Bad spelling at my end!  I hadn't run across one of them before now and just happened to be poking around a (what you call a charity shop and we, here, call a thrift store) just before Christmas and experienced a moment of weakness.  What can I say?    :(  I do have a Rega RP6 with an Ortofon 2M black which is hooked up to my main system but thought that perhaps I might be able to use the Garrard with my old system upstairs)...if it works.   More than likely just a donation to a charity...we'll see!    :-[

PD

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2019, 08:56:56 PM »
My musical New Year’s resolution is to just continue exploring this music and finding new composers. Last year or year before that (can’t quite remember), I made a breakthrough and was able to finally appreciate solo piano music and lieder/songs/mélodies. Opera is still one genre I can’t fully appreciate aside from the few favorites I have like Debussy’s Pelléas et Mélisande and Bartók’s Bluebeard’s Castle (of course I like many more but just citing these two as examples).
“Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline shirime

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2019, 10:03:37 PM »
Music related resolutions:

Buy more opera tickets
Spend more money supporting local performances
Compose that damn guitar sonata for my friend's recitals
Apply for more grants.