Author Topic: The Murray Perahia Appreciation Thread  (Read 528 times)

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
Re: The Murray Perahia Appreciation Thread
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 08:49:02 AM »
Standing ovations in America are almost a matter of courtesy & can't really be taken as indicators of performance quality or even audience response. Also I've never heard perfect playing from any pianist (or violinist, etc) in concert although I have heard a few who are better in person than on record—Mitsuko Uchida is one.

I would agree, but you can tell when a standing ovation is a matter of courtesy or indicator of performance quality usually, the atmosphere is dramatically different. One of the greatest concerts I have been to is to hear James Galway play. It seems like he never takes a breath with absolute clarity of tone from top to bottom in a volume that you can hear every little nuance even sitting in a corner in the back row. At the end the audience just seems spell-bounded. It was not your garden-variety standing ovation.

Offline Ras

Re: The Murray Perahia Appreciation Thread
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 01:46:57 AM »
His recording of Mendelssohn's piano concertos are my favorite in the repertoire:

I have warmed up to his Bach recordings after having been initially unimpressed.

His recording of Mozart's piano concertos are not among my favorites.
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen