Author Topic: Consider banning politics  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: Consider banning politics
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 08:19:32 PM »
Well, politics and religion are not going to be banned, so let's get that out of the way up front. We are, in most cases, mature, well-rounded adults and should be able to maneuver around the occasional obstacle to our sensibilities without losing our minds. I am sorry to see BWV 1080 leave, but people come and go here all the time, and for less understandable reasons than being fed up with the political situation being thrown up at them.

That said, let me take a moment to remind you all, especially those (the majority by now) who weren't here back in the days when prohibition was attempted. There wasn't a thread on the board which hadn't devolved into a morass of political muck (against GW Bush (Dickhead Cheney, actually) in those days). When these discussions were banned, the result was stultifying on all conversation, as though an intellectual blanket had been thrown over the members. So it was decided to allow political and religious discussion in The Diner. And while those threads have been largely unmoderated, they have managed for 15 years to give an outlet to people. I think this policy has proven its worth.

It is true, however, that there are some people who simply can't leave it alone and want to continue discussions outside of the prescribed area. I have deleted more than a few posts which were out of bounds, although they have been a small blot on the larger scheme of things. Instead of pointing fingers and carrying on about it ad infinitum, take a minute to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are guilty. The moderators here are as hands-off as you could ask, but that comes with a price. If you don't want to be policed, then police yourself. I'm not at all happy that a member felt compelled to leave, it may or not have been justified, but the fact that he felt it was makes it de facto true.

Thanks,
Gurn  8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »
Well put. I am not in favour of banning political or religious posts or threads, but confining them to the diner seems like a sensible policy.
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 01:32:31 AM »
Well, politics and religion are not going to be banned, so let's get that out of the way up front. We are, in most cases, mature, well-rounded adults and should be able to maneuver around the occasional obstacle to our sensibilities without losing our minds. I am sorry to see BWV 1080 leave, but people come and go here all the time, and for less understandable reasons than being fed up with the political situation being thrown up at them.

That said, let me take a moment to remind you all, especially those (the majority by now) who weren't here back in the days when prohibition was attempted. There wasn't a thread on the board which hadn't devolved into a morass of political muck (against GW Bush (Dickhead Cheney, actually) in those days). When these discussions were banned, the result was stultifying on all conversation, as though an intellectual blanket had been thrown over the members. So it was decided to allow political and religious discussion in The Diner. And while those threads have been largely unmoderated, they have managed for 15 years to give an outlet to people. I think this policy has proven its worth.

It is true, however, that there are some people who simply can't leave it alone and want to continue discussions outside of the prescribed area. I have deleted more than a few posts which were out of bounds, although they have been a small blot on the larger scheme of things. Instead of pointing fingers and carrying on about it ad infinitum, take a minute to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are guilty. The moderators here are as hands-off as you could ask, but that comes with a price. If you don't want to be policed, then police yourself. I'm not at all happy that a member felt compelled to leave, it may or not have been justified, but the fact that he felt it was makes it de facto true.

Thanks,
Gurn  8)

Hear hear. That's exactly what needed to be said.

We are here for a common purpose; more often than not we can get along; when things heat up we often know how to climb down... (I know I've had to send out many an apology in private messages, especially in my early years on this forum, when I would let thing get under my skin) ...and in any case banning religion (and politics) in a forum discussing music, half of which was and plenty of which remains explicitly religious (or political) would make little sense. Banning either would be tantamount that we have given up even trying to be a generally civil community. Not that we always are -- but I think we are always trying and not doing so bad a job at it, either.

Offline david johnson

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 01:44:45 AM »
politics = the bane of civilization   :P

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 02:01:31 AM »

Politics: n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.

(Ambrose Bierce)

But also that which makes civilization possible. So we're stuck. :-)

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 07:46:43 AM »
“Politics is the continuation of war by other means.”
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 08:12:19 AM »

Politics: n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.

(Ambrose Bierce)

I love that, really. Very Twainish in nature...  :)

8)

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 08:36:52 AM »

8)
The Devil's Dictionary is a fabulous book.

Egotist (n.) A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »

8)

Bierce, Twain and Mencken are triplets separated at birth. Excellent sense of terse, wry humor and intelligence.

Cynic. (n.) blackguard whose faulty vision makes him see things as they are - as opposed to how they ought to be.

Pockets. (n.) cradle of motivation, grave of conscience. (I'm paraphrasing, but I think I get them more or less right.)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 10:49:24 AM »
The Devil's Dictionary is a fabulous book.

Egotist (n.) A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
Bierce, Twain and Mencken are triplets separated at birth. Excellent sense of terse, wry humor and intelligence.

Cynic. (n.) blackguard whose faulty vision makes him see things as they are - as opposed to how they ought to be.

Pockets. (n.) cradle of motivation, grave of conscience. (I'm paraphrasing, but I think I get them more or less right.)

Of the three, I know Bierce the least, Twin, by far, the best.  Mencken came later than the others but certainly carried on a fine tradition.

I'll check that out, Ken. Good quotes are a handy thing to have on hand. :)

8)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 01:50:55 PM »
Well put. I am not in favour of banning political or religious posts or threads, but confining them to the diner seems like a sensible policy.

I agree with the Ghost's opinion too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2019, 11:22:48 AM »
I have no intention of banning the discussion of politics on this forum. It is a legitimate areas of discussion. It is not illegal and does not contravene the rules of the forum (or civilised countries) in any way, so they will stay.

Please discuss politics. Argue politics. Robustly. They deserve to be discussed and argued. But do NOT use the excuse of politics to attack any other member of the forum. You can say "I disagree with your political views". You cannot say "You are an idiot because of your political views". Simple, isn't it?

I wrote the Forum Guidelines many years ago. There is a section on Religion. I will amend it to include politics, as those 2 topics cause the most problems.

cheers
Rob
 Macs are better. They just are.