Author Topic: Introducing New Listeners to Classical Music  (Read 648 times)

Offline Richard

Introducing New Listeners to Classical Music
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:46:34 PM »
Ok. So I thought about posting this as a gag, but this happened on last month... and I'm wondering if I am alone?

A close friend invited me over for an evening of casual conversation and music. He wanted me to hear: "The greatest living composer/pianist" and "The most gifted singer of our age."

I have known him for a long time so I suppose I wasn't surprised to be subject to two hours of:

Chilly Gonzales on piano

And Sarah Brightman

Actually, the Sarah Brightman wasn't so bad after Mr. Gonzales.

Question? How do you respond to friends who obviously have an interest in something beyond the typical, manufactured, pop music diet? But, they are being fed a bunch of crossover music slush?
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." — Berthold Auerbach

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
Re: Introducing New Listeners to Classical Music
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 01:10:39 PM »
Use it as a stepping stone. For example, I did a quick listen on Amazon (just 30 seconds per track) and hit paydirt on track 3 (Sogni). The part they play there is a rip off of the Pear Fishers by Bizet. This is a big opening to opera, singers, Bizet, that opera, the famous duet from that opera, etc. Maybe next time you see him, bring him a disc that has that duet on it sung for the original part. Or send him a mp3 file of that duet when you get home to show him what the original sounds like. It's a gorgeous duet, so if he likes SB's version, he should like the original.

I don't know how you endured the hour chilling with Chilly. I was left cold! :) Awful, I know.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Richard

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 01:46:49 PM »
Use it as a stepping stone. For example, I did a quick listen on Amazon (just 30 seconds per track) and hit paydirt on track 3 (Sogni). The part they play there is a rip off of the Pear Fishers by Bizet. This is a big opening to opera, singers, Bizet, that opera, the famous duet from that opera, etc. Maybe next time you see him, bring him a disc that has that duet on it sung for the original part. Or send him a mp3 file of that duet when you get home to show him what the original sounds like. It's a gorgeous duet, so if he likes SB's version, he should like the original.

I don't know how you endured the hour chilling with Chilly. I was left cold! :) Awful, I know.

You’re brilliant !!  I don’t know how I missed that. Maybe too much wine 🍷

There was a production of “The Pearl Fishersl” here not too long ago and I was there. I’ll haul out a copy of “Au fond du temple saint" and see how we do.

Thanks so much.
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." — Berthold Auerbach

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 09:59:00 PM »
It’s time to educate your friend, but only if they’re willing to listen and, more importantly, have asked for recommendations. Use tact and be kind. We all have to start from somewhere of course, but if you don’t say something soon, you may be in for another night of Sarah Brightman. ;)
“I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy