Author Topic: Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord  (Read 151469 times)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
Re: Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord
« Reply #1120 on: April 11, 2017, 02:46:59 AM »

I'm really enjoying Mario Videla's recording of the French Suites recording because he completely shies away from large scale gestures, everything is peaceful and intimate. Anyway I shouldn't wonder if this becomes a favourite.
I do like this. Thanks. To me, it's a very different sound. It's kind of compressed sounding...the voices...It's charming.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1121 on: April 11, 2017, 02:49:17 AM »
I do like this. Thanks. To me, it's a very different sound. It's kind of compressed sounding...the voices...It's charming.

What do you hear in this that you don't hear in Perkins? I mean in terms of interpretation.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1122 on: April 11, 2017, 03:06:53 AM »
What do you hear in this that you don't hear in Perkins? I mean in terms of interpretation.
I'd forgotten about Perkins. I only downloaded one suite of him. I don't know if I was fair to Perkins but where Perkins seemed dry and matter of fact, Videla seems touching in an understated but charming way. Perhaps I should give Perkins more of a chance but that was my initial feeling about it. I can compare Perkins to Leonhardt's performance of the second suite (clavichord). But maybe that's not fair either. Not being musically educated, I feel my view is even more subjective than most. There is a unique quality to the sound of Videla. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's rustic. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:47:15 PM by milk »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1123 on: August 09, 2017, 11:12:32 PM »

Aapo Hakkinen plays Bach on a copy of a harpsichord with a big big bass (Hass 1760), I think there are lots of beautiful things on this recording, not least one of the most interesting performances of BWV 819 I've heard. The tuning and transparency of the harpsichord, and Hakkinen's voicing,  reveals the imaginative counterpoint especially in the allemande and sarabande. Well with hearing this recording I think, there's a lot to enjoy in it.

Hakkinen's the real deal musically, here and in Byrd.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1124 on: August 24, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »

Genzoh does a very convinving performance of the partitas here. He commands an instrument that can be charmingly unwieldy at times. But he's very expressive, flexible, employing hesitations - agogics, very effectively. I really feel this recording should be better known. Bach on the Silbermann. Rare, especially for the Partitas.

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is sniping at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #1125 on: August 29, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »
Moving this here so it doesn't get lost on the WAYLT thread.

Bach, Partitas, disc 1, Gester. Gester is intuitively in sync with Bach's unpredictability in this music, taking in stride the myriad harmonic hurdles building to some of the most melodically sophisticated music Bach ever penned. It's easy to see why Bach was eager to have this music published ("Op.1" indeed).

Great sound, too, along with a great instrument (by Matthias Griewisch, 1999, after Michael Mietke). Overall, just fantastic.   

Definitely interesting!  :)

Yes, and it's definitely not overpriced. One of the perks. :)

Overall I'd put Gester in the category of those who like to pause along the way to smell the roses when it comes to the music they're playing, as opposed to someone like, say, Rousset, who seems to revel in the "audaciousness" (i.e. high on the adrenaline) of the music. Not that Gester shies away from "audacious" but his philosophy seems to be to first let the music breathe and build everything naturally. The more I listened the more I recognized an expert at, well, telling a story. It "sings".

Oh, and I neglected to mention the posh packaging, with a gigantic French/English booklet. Another perk. 
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #1126 on: September 01, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »
Any opinions on this?

I'm hesitating on this one as it's not particularly cheap, but the choice of instrument makes it potentially very interesting.

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #1127 on: September 01, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »
Any opinions on this?

I'm hesitating on this one as it's not particularly cheap, but the choice of instrument makes it potentially very interesting.

Try to listen to samples. I have no experience with this performer, but I have found lautenwerk performances to be hit or miss, even with the same performer. I think the actual individual instrument used can have a greater than usual impact.

The concept itself is interesting.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1128 on: September 01, 2017, 10:50:01 PM »
Any opinions on this?

The instrument is not so beautiful, it is closely recorded and the performances are middle of the road in terms of ideas and mediocre at best in execution. There is a lautenwerk well tempered clavier I like much more from Wolfgang Rubsam, you can buy it from his website.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:51:56 PM by Mandryka »

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #1129 on: September 01, 2017, 11:39:37 PM »
Any opinions on this?

Some time ago I acquired Paul's recordings of the Bach Partitas, English and French suites. A big disappointment. Uninteresting instrument and playing, which - as Mandryka writes - is mediocre at best. I cannot recommend John Paul at all.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1130 on: September 02, 2017, 03:54:24 AM »

Bach, Partitas, disc 1, Gester. Gester is intuitively in sync with Bach's unpredictability in this music, taking in stride the myriad harmonic hurdles building to some of the most melodically sophisticated music Bach ever penned. It's easy to see why Bach was eager to have this music published ("Op.1" indeed).

Great sound, too, along with a great instrument (by Matthias Griewisch, 1999, after Michael Mietke). Overall, just fantastic.   

Overall I'd put Gester in the category of those who like to pause along the way to smell the roses when it comes to the music they're playing, as opposed to someone like, say, Rousset, who seems to revel in the "audaciousness" (i.e. high on the adrenaline) of the music. Not that Gester shies away from "audacious" but his philosophy seems to be to first let the music breathe and build everything naturally. The more I listened the more I recognized an expert at, well, telling a story. It "sings".

Oh, and I neglected to mention the posh packaging, with a gigantic French/English booklet. Another perk.
I'm intrigued. But hesitant. I wonder how is stacks up to Moretenson, Suzuki and Leonhardt? It's tempting.

• Veteran member
« Reply #1131 on: September 02, 2017, 04:16:25 AM »
I'm intrigued. But hesitant. I wonder how it stacks up to Mortensen, Suzuki and Leonhardt? It's tempting.

It is more poetic and "feminine" , than the three you mention, which all are very masculine.

As to me I have enjoyed Gester's recording very much.
Tiden læger alle sår,

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is sniping at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #1132 on: September 02, 2017, 12:48:49 PM »
I'm intrigued. But hesitant. I wonder how is stacks up to Moretenson, Suzuki and Leonhardt? It's tempting.

The only other harpsichord Partitas recording I have is Belder, who, when considering premont's characterizations, might be considered "masculine" next to the more "feminine" Gester, but that shouldn't be taken to mean Gester is "fragile". Indeed, Gester's talent for understatement is what powers (as it were) his distinctively virile approach. Surprises, insights, etc. etc. etc., are spread liberally.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:29:25 PM by Dancing Divertimentian »
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #1133 on: September 02, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies on John Paul's WTC. I'm glad I asked before buying! I take it Rubsam's version is download only? I couldn't find any mention of a CD release, which is a shame as I much prefer CDs to downloads. I suppose the upside is that a download version won't sell out, so I can wait until I have some cash to spare.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1134 on: September 03, 2017, 01:29:07 AM »
I take it Rubsam's version is download only? I couldn't find any mention of a CD release, which is a shame as I much prefer CDs to downloads. I suppose the upside is that a download version won't sell out, so I can wait until I have some cash to spare.

I expect that if you contact him he'll find a way to get you a CD.

Offline HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #1135 on: September 03, 2017, 07:53:33 AM »

Super review, DD:)

I am very interested in this recording.  Not showing on Amazon, however (or at least I cannot find it  ::)).

Could someone please post a link?

Thanks.

• Veteran member
Tiden læger alle sår,

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

• Veteran member
« Reply #1138 on: September 03, 2017, 08:31:48 AM »
Tiden læger alle sår,

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #1139 on: September 03, 2017, 08:38:37 AM »
Seems to be a bit cheaper, if one ignores the postage fee.

All in all, I paid € 13,99 for it.
Still a very nice price for a 'feminine' touch. ;)
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK