Author Topic: Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord  (Read 143817 times)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
Re: Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord
« Reply #1120 on: April 11, 2017, 02:46:59 AM »

I'm really enjoying Mario Videla's recording of the French Suites recording because he completely shies away from large scale gestures, everything is peaceful and intimate. Anyway I shouldn't wonder if this becomes a favourite.
I do like this. Thanks. To me, it's a very different sound. It's kind of compressed sounding...the voices...It's charming.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1121 on: April 11, 2017, 02:49:17 AM »
I do like this. Thanks. To me, it's a very different sound. It's kind of compressed sounding...the voices...It's charming.

What do you hear in this that you don't hear in Perkins? I mean in terms of interpretation.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1122 on: April 11, 2017, 03:06:53 AM »
What do you hear in this that you don't hear in Perkins? I mean in terms of interpretation.
I'd forgotten about Perkins. I only downloaded one suite of him. I don't know if I was fair to Perkins but where Perkins seemed dry and matter of fact, Videla seems touching in an understated but charming way. Perhaps I should give Perkins more of a chance but that was my initial feeling about it. I can compare Perkins to Leonhardt's performance of the second suite (clavichord). But maybe that's not fair either. Not being musically educated, I feel my view is even more subjective than most. There is a unique quality to the sound of Videla. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's rustic. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:47:15 PM by milk »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1123 on: August 09, 2017, 11:12:32 PM »

Aapo Hakkinen plays Bach on a copy of a harpsichord with a big big bass (Hass 1760), I think there are lots of beautiful things on this recording, not least one of the most interesting performances of BWV 819 I've heard. The tuning and transparency of the harpsichord, and Hakkinen's voicing,  reveals the imaginative counterpoint especially in the allemande and sarabande. Well with hearing this recording I think, there's a lot to enjoy in it.

Hakkinen's the real deal musically, here and in Byrd.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK