Author Topic: Krzysztof Penderecki (b. 1933)  (Read 64742 times)

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
Re: Krzysztof Penderecki (b. 1933)
« Reply #400 on: January 23, 2019, 01:36:12 AM »
I've ordered my next Penderecki disc. It includes Concerto Grosso No. 1 for three cellos and orchestra, Largo, and Sonata, both for single cello and orchestra.

I wonder if Wit and co will get around to recording more of his works. Some gaps I can think of off the top of my head are Cello Concerto No. 1, Concerto Grosso No. 2 (five clarinets and orchestra), Concerto Doppio (violin, cello and orchestra), the revised Symphony No. 8, Symphony No. 6.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:39:19 AM by Maestro267 »

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #401 on: January 24, 2019, 04:35:02 PM »
I've ordered my next Penderecki disc. It includes Concerto Grosso No. 1 for three cellos and orchestra, Largo, and Sonata, both for single cello and orchestra.

I wonder if Wit and co will get around to recording more of his works. Some gaps I can think of off the top of my head are Cello Concerto No. 1, Concerto Grosso No. 2 (five clarinets and orchestra), Concerto Doppio (violin, cello and orchestra), the revised Symphony No. 8, Symphony No. 6.

A great purchase. I've listened to those cello works and I can say they are rewarding. I like that dark and hopeless style too, more subdued than that of his early period.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #402 on: January 26, 2019, 06:45:56 AM »
Yep. I've listened to the Concerto Grosso twice now, and I've already latched onto a few passages that I really like.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #403 on: September 17, 2019, 11:07:59 AM »

My first time listening to Utrenja, and wow!! It is a most shocking work!! I can't think of a darker, more nightmarish or more frightening piece of music about Christ. Penderecki at the height of his powers in his early period. This man is a magician to conjure up eerie sceneries. This was thoroughly impressive. As a piece of advice: never listen to this work being alone and/or at night! Easily one of my favorite choral works ever.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #404 on: September 21, 2019, 09:28:47 AM »
Whether it's a good choice as a first Penderecki work, idk, but Utrenja was the first Penderecki work I bought. I was fascinated by the variety of sounds made by both instrumental and vocal forces. I find it a tough nut to crack, and one of the major factors in this is the lack of a printed libretto. Makes an already-difficult work even more challenging to follow. I can't even find a libretto anywhere on the internet.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #405 on: September 21, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »
Whether it's a good choice as a first Penderecki work, idk, but Utrenja was the first Penderecki work I bought. I was fascinated by the variety of sounds made by both instrumental and vocal forces. I find it a tough nut to crack, and one of the major factors in this is the lack of a printed libretto. Makes an already-difficult work even more challenging to follow. I can't even find a libretto anywhere on the internet.

Let me check my archives on Monday!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)