Author Topic: Women's Football (soccer) World Cup 2019  (Read 399 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Women's Football (soccer) World Cup 2019
« on: July 02, 2019, 01:07:47 PM »
So, congratulations to the USA in beating England 2-1 this evening. This tournament has really massively heightened interest in the women's game over here (UK). Is that the same elsewhere? Was there much interest in this match in the USA or elsewhere? I see that the Netherlands and Sweden are the other semi-finalists.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: Women's Football (soccer) World Cup 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 04:31:18 PM »
So, congratulations to the USA in beating England 2-1 this evening. This tournament has really massively heightened interest in the women's game over here (UK). Is that the same elsewhere? Was there much interest in this match in the USA or elsewhere? I see that the Netherlands and Sweden are the other semi-finalists.

As years have gone by, I've seen more and more interest. Unlike most other sports, player gender doesn't seem to make a difference. In some respects, it is because we have finally got used to the idea that 2-1 is a good score!  :D  Anyway, I had to follow the narrative on The Guardian's web site because I was at work, but it seemed as though your ladies were the best of sports, especially having that goal taken away. Always tough to play the defenders this late on in the tourney, they can smell the roses by now!  :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »
As years have gone by, I've seen more and more interest. Unlike most other sports, player gender doesn't seem to make a difference. In some respects, it is because we have finally got used to the idea that 2-1 is a good score!  :D  Anyway, I had to follow the narrative on The Guardian's web site because I was at work, but it seemed as though your ladies were the best of sports, especially having that goal taken away. Always tough to play the defenders this late on in the tourney, they can smell the roses by now!  :)

8)
Thanks Gurn. I think that the nature of the women's game generally is much more sporting than the men's game with less arguing with decisions and less fouls etc. I thought that the referee was good last night. The penalties are usually England's downfall and that was no exception last night.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 03:01:31 AM »
Women's soccer had a huge breakthru in the Netherlands two years ago when there was a European Championship two years ago, and the Dutch team did really well, and were really a joy to watch, compared to the rather spoiled and lazy men players, whom I have stopped watching.

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 03:17:57 AM »
and were really a joy to watch, compared to the rather spoiled and lazy men players, whom I have stopped watching.
Wrong moment to do that, since they recently beat the Germans (twice), the French & the English, all in attractive games.  :D
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 01:05:08 AM »
I hope that, as my mother was of Dutch origin (Van der Molen) my American friends here will forgive me supporting the Netherlands, who are the underdogs, in the final.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:01:52 PM by vandermolen »

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 06:40:12 AM »
I hope that, as my mother was of Dutch origin (Van der Molen) I hope that my American friends here will forgive me supporting the Netherlands, who are the underdogs, in the final.

I'm good with it. Sporting outcomes at this level have become overly politicized. Which overlooks the fact that getting to the final is a major feat, and win or lose, the second place team is certainly no loser! Best of luck to both sides, hope the game is marked by outstanding sportsmanship!

8)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 02:02:37 PM »
I'm good with it. Sporting outcomes at this level have become overly politicized. Which overlooks the fact that getting to the final is a major feat, and win or lose, the second place team is certainly no loser! Best of luck to both sides, hope the game is marked by outstanding sportsmanship!

8)
Excellent point Gurn!
 :)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 06:55:40 PM »
Was this in Reims, France? We were just there a couple weeks ago--after the soccer thing.

Surprisingly, the worst restaurant in France is located in Reims. We ran in there quickly without doing due diligence after my wife became suddenly very hungry (rare for either of us). It was located a few blocks away from Taittinger, where we did a tasting/tour a couple hours later. Thankfully, we were able to cleanse our palates (and our souls) with an excellent pain au chocolat from a nearby boulangerie following the unfortunate incident.

Given the quality of the food, and the general weirdness of the place and the proprieters, we were very relieved and a bit surprised when we did not show symptoms of food poisoning 24-48 hours later!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 07:04:35 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 08:02:01 AM »
USAW 2  -  0 Netherlands

Great game!  The Orange Ladies played their asses off, but were just a bit outmatched. Ladies Football seems to be the thing here. Who would have guessed it?  :)

8)

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 11:18:11 AM »
Obviously the USA were better. The Dutch coach had bet on the USA players running out of steam after the first half. They didn't, and the Dutch players were clearly getting exhausted (they had played a long game against Sweden on Wednesday).
All through the various matches there were a lot of disconnected passes by the Dutch, especially at the front end. This happened again in today's game, making them insufficiently dangerous.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 11:21:23 AM »
I didn't see all the game but the USA deserved their victory. England need to practice their penalty technique!
 ::)

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 10:24:15 PM »
I was able to see some of the interviews with the Dutch players and the coach and I was amazed at the way they said that maybe a lot of things weren't perfect in their team playing (the passes going nowhere, particularly) but still they got the job done so far.

There is a certain joy in that casual attitude, but there is no way you're going to beat a team that's so built so tight as the USA and that's got about twenty or more top players, so there's no way they ever get bogged down the way the Ditch were in the latter part of the second half.

Also the Dutch top players (Miedema, Martens) weren't up to it anymore. Maybe the fact that the Dutch players were at the end of their playing season whereas the American players were relatively fresh played a role too.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 09:03:47 PM »
I was able to see some of the interviews with the Dutch players and the coach and I was amazed at the way they said that maybe a lot of things weren't perfect in their team playing (the passes going nowhere, particularly) but still they got the job done so far.

There is a certain joy in that casual attitude, but there is no way you're going to beat a team that's so built so tight as the USA and that's got about twenty or more top players, so there's no way they ever get bogged down the way the Ditch were in the latter part of the second half.

Also the Dutch top players (Miedema, Martens) weren't up to it anymore. Maybe the fact that the Dutch players were at the end of their playing season whereas the American players were relatively fresh played a role too.
The passing of the England team was pretty bad. They gave the ball away the whole time.

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 06:22:05 AM »
This tournament has really massively heightened interest in the women's game over here (UK). Is that the same elsewhere?

It definitely is here in Czech Republic. The sports channel of our national TV carried most of the matches and I've noticed people paying much more attention - myself included! The whole brouhaha surrounding Rapinoe certainly helped, she's exactly what this sport needed. Too bad she had to play through an injury in the final but still, what a performance.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 11:30:26 AM »
It definitely is here in Czech Republic. The sports channel of our national TV carried most of the matches and I've noticed people paying much more attention - myself included! The whole brouhaha surrounding Rapinoe certainly helped, she's exactly what this sport needed. Too bad she had to play through an injury in the final but still, what a performance.
Interesting and thanks.