Author Topic: Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)  (Read 184808 times)

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
Re: Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)
« Reply #1560 on: April 28, 2019, 05:55:48 PM »
Since I started teaching three years ago, I suddenly had this idea, starting this year, of having my CD purchases shipped to the school instead of home.

It has worked perfectly and no one at home is suspecting a relapse.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Online Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #1561 on: April 29, 2019, 04:03:43 PM »
Since I started teaching three years ago, I suddenly had this idea, starting this year, of having my CD purchases shipped to the school instead of home.

It has worked perfectly and no one at home is suspecting a relapse.
  That's what my wife does with her secret shopping...I look the other way as much as possible.

I ended up selling over 20 boxes (which I have digital copies of). With a couple I burned the entire set onto CD, and printed color labels (I can fit 12 labels on one sheet of A3 paper, which costs about 65 cents a sheet at the printers). I can't sell any more and actually recoup my original investment, so I guess I am done with that method--at least for a while. I still bought 7 new boxes, but only super-duper-duper bargains that I'd longed for. I feel good. Somehow culling broke the collecting madness. Letting stuff go breaks the buying compulsion based on the "if I don't get this, it could be gone forever!" fear/rationalization. It also makes the remaining stuff seem more precious.
It's all good...

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #1562 on: May 16, 2019, 12:36:29 PM »
I put all my big boxes on one big shelf in the guest bedroom. My girlfriend came in and said, "I think there are some new sets there!" (There are.)

I said, "Oh, I moved some in from the other rooms to put them all in one place. And the magazines that were there are on the front room bookshelf now."

She said, "Oh, good."

Phew! A narrow escape!

Now, where to hide those other CDs I just ordered...

(top "row": Michel Dalberto, Leon Fleisher, Anne Queffelec)
(second "row": Murray Perahia, Esa-Pekka Salonen, Narciso Yepes, Andre Previn, Sviatoslav Richter, Daniel Barenboim)
(third "row": Arthur Rubinstein, George Szell, Brilliant Historic Russian Legends 100CDs, Haydn/Davies, Harmonia Mundi)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:38:08 PM by Brian »

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #1563 on: May 16, 2019, 01:06:54 PM »
I spotted the pink thing instantly.

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #1564 on: May 16, 2019, 01:40:37 PM »
I've had that one for three or four years so she's gotten used to it. It's so big you have to consider it a part of the room color scheme.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.