Author Topic: Identify Your Avatar  (Read 261281 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Brume au-dessus de l'eau...
Re: Identify Your Avatar
« Reply #2720 on: January 20, 2019, 06:33:38 PM »
Sure, those are all beautiful women.  :) It's weird, but last year I was at a screening of Hitchcock's Rear Window, and no matter how many times I've seen it or the format it's presented in, those few moments when Grace Kelly's face fills the frame as she closes in to kiss James Stewart - it still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

LOVE that Hitchcock film. Such a classic. Agree with you about Grace Kelly. Exquisite beauty.
“Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #2721 on: January 20, 2019, 06:42:01 PM »
She was even more adorable than you mighf have realized
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1994-08-21-9408210170-story.html

Until just now I had no idea Mia Farrow was her daughter.

Cheers, mate, that was interesting. I still haven't seen the restored version it refers to, so I should check it out.
Yeah, the mother or Mia Farrow - and apparently a completely different character to her daughter.
Anyway, next time I'm asked about potential programmes for the local indy/arthouses maybe they'd consider a Tarzan season. It's as hokey as hell but also cool, and I love that kind of stuff, especially on the big screen.  :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Ken B

« Reply #2722 on: January 20, 2019, 08:16:10 PM »
Sure, those are all beautiful women.  :) It's weird, but last year I was at a screening of Hitchcock's Rear Window, and no matter how many times I've seen it or the format it's presented in, those few moments when Grace Kelly's face fills the frame as she closes in to kiss James Stewart - it still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
Yup. Hottest moment in movies.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #2723 on: January 22, 2019, 07:42:41 AM »
As I’m going through a phase of (renewed) fascination with 20th century French painting, I’m now using Raoul Dufy’s early—1910—woodcut La Danse as my avatar.

Dufy, a member of the fauve group at the time, had visited Munich and been exposed to the work of the German expressionists. On his return to France, he produced four woodcuts, collectively titled Les plaisirs de la paix (as irony would have it, that paix wouldn’t last for too long ::)). Apart from La danse, there’s the following:

La pêche:

La chasse:

L’amour:

I find these four works rather fascinating, as they somehow combine the aesthetics of fauvism and expressionism, and are also unmistakably French, pre-echoing Dufy’s later carefree thematic (horse races, regattas, etc.). Shortly after this suite, Dufy would produce what is arguably his masterpiece in the medium, his illustrations for Guillaume Apollinaire’s Le bestiare.

Just after the painter’s death in 1953, the four woodcuts were printed again (in an edition of 220, with the stamp of the artist’s atelier). Luckily, I’ve been able to acquire copies of La danse and La pêche from this second edition (the original, pencil signed run from 1910 goes for a small fortune), which hang on the walls of my living room.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:03:50 AM by ritter »
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
„ Kein’ Musik ist ja nicht auf Erden, die unsrer verglichen kann werden“.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #2724 on: January 22, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »
Wonderful works, wonderful acquisition !

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #2725 on: January 22, 2019, 05:35:07 PM »
Nice enough to motivate me to change mine

Hommage a Mozart by Dufy.
There seem to be two Dufy works by that title. This is the other one

Edit
The Apollinaire woodcuts can be seen here
https://wikilivres.org/wiki/Raoul_Dufy
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:39:47 PM by JBS »

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #2726 on: January 23, 2019, 03:39:52 AM »
Nice enough to motivate me to change mine

Hommage a Mozart by Dufy.
Great avatar as well, JBS!  :) There’s also works by Dufy in homage to Debussy and J.S. Bach.... And then of course there’s Stravinsky’s short musical homage to Dufy (the Double Canon for SQ); the two men never actually met...
Wonderful works, wonderful acquisition !
Thanks, André!

Raoul Dufy rocks!  8)
ritter

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #2727 on: January 24, 2019, 05:43:49 AM »
Decided I don't like having an avatar photo of a woman that I haven't taken myself. So the next few avatars will probably be of stuff I own and like.

Mario Vellani Marchi. Paper, Indian ink and watercolour.

Received as a gift a long time ago, it's one of a few ever present pieces on my (home) office walls, no matter where I live. And almost every dancer who visits and sees it will say how much they love it. It depicts Tanquil Le Clercq in the NYC Ballet 'Le Baiser de la Fée'. Choreography by Balanchine, music by Stravinsky, and lighting by Jean Rosenthal (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Rosenthal)

Triva: that photo is taken with a six euro cellphone and so there's no polarising filter to hide my reflection in the glass. Instead, I steal and employ a simple trick used in the 1920s by the clever James Wong Howe, Oscar winning cinematographer. At work people often thought it was an affectation or gimmick, but they were wrong. It's a valid technique. 8)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #2728 on: January 24, 2019, 06:04:39 AM »
Decided I don't like having an avatar photo of a woman that I haven't taken myself. So the next few avatars will probably be of stuff I own and like.

Received as a gift a long time ago, it's one of a few ever present pieces on my (home) office walls, no matter where I live. And almost every dancer who visits and sees it will say how much they love it. It depicts Tanquil Le Clercq in the NYC Ballet 'Le Baiser de la Fée'. Choreography by Balanchine, music by Stravinsky, and lighting by Jean Rosenthal (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Rosenthal)

Great stuff, NikF. I didn’t know about Vellani Marchi until now, but have always found the ballet adventure of Balanchine, Kirstein, Le Clercq et al. In NYC fascinating.

Wonderful watercolour and avatar!  :)

ritter

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2729 on: January 24, 2019, 06:22:10 AM »

Triva: that photo is taken with a six euro cellphone and so there's no polarising filter to hide my reflection in the glass. Instead, I steal and employ a simple trick used in the 1920s by the clever James Wong Howe, Oscar winning cinematographer. At work people often thought it was an affectation or gimmick, but they were wrong. It's a valid technique. 8)

There's a black, elongated object right behind her right buttock. It greatly puzzles me. Do you have any idea what it is?
“I compose music because I must give expression to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts.” --- Rachmaninoff

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #2730 on: January 24, 2019, 06:33:03 AM »
Great stuff, NikF. I didn’t know about Vellani Marchi until now, but have always found the ballet adventure of Balanchine, Kirstein, Le Clercq et al. In NYC fascinating.

Wonderful watercolour and avatar!  :)

Cheers, mate.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #2731 on: January 24, 2019, 06:37:19 AM »
There's a black, elongated object right behind her right buttock. It greatly puzzles me. Do you have any idea what it is?

No, I don't. I even went back upstairs to have a closer look, but I've no idea, sorry.

e: but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.  8)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:39:28 AM by NikF »

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #2732 on: January 24, 2019, 06:40:04 AM »
I think it’s called a shade.... ;D
ritter

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2733 on: January 24, 2019, 07:04:58 AM »
No, I don't. I even went back upstairs to have a closer look, but I've no idea, sorry.

e: but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.  8)

I think it’s called a shade.... ;D

I am relieved. What I see is someone behind her, trying to insert a black dildo in... Ummm, never mind.  :laugh:
“I compose music because I must give expression to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts.” --- Rachmaninoff

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #2734 on: January 24, 2019, 01:05:34 PM »
I am relieved. What I see is someone behind her, trying to insert a black dildo in... Ummm, never mind.  :laugh:

Different ballet entirely - and one I've only ever seen amateur productions of. 8) ;D

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #2735 on: January 24, 2019, 01:20:00 PM »
I've restored the Avatar I used before the server issues. It is a painting by Kazimir Malevich entitled Morning in the Village after Snowstorm.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #2736 on: January 24, 2019, 01:48:26 PM »

???

A reminder that we need a "what are you smoking" thread.  :laugh:

Different ballet entirely - and one I've only ever seen amateur productions of. 8) ;D

We definitely need a thread for that.   0:)

Ken B

« Reply #2737 on: January 24, 2019, 06:35:40 PM »
It's a shadow, cast by part of her skirt.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #2738 on: January 24, 2019, 08:25:23 PM »
???

And did he bring enough for everyone?  8)

Funnily enough, a while back Google permanently suspended my YouTube account.  ???  ;D

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2739 on: January 25, 2019, 01:43:59 AM »
???

:laugh: