Author Topic: Guillaume Dufay  (Read 14767 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Guillaume Dufay
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2018, 11:39:32 PM »

I want to recommend this presentation of L'Homme Armé mass by Les Jeunes Solistes, a small male voice ensemble.

Small forces (2 on a part I think), voices only; quite intimate - it doesn't sound like music for a grand occasion like a coronation or anything like that; a great sense of moving the music forward; the timbres of each voice very clear - so not blended, well balanced - certainly not dominated by higher voices; a friend of mine tells me that all the accidentals in the score are applied, with no additional musica ficta. This is a frequently recorded mass, and I think I've heard them all; this and Oxford Camerata are my favourites, and the two complement each other in an interesting way.

The mass is presented with music by Thierry Pécou. There are short and anodine pieces which provide "interludes" to the mass movements, and a much more interesting Homme Armé cantata at the end.

I've had the recording for years, its on Spotify now.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:36:13 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »

The first thing to say about this release from Gothic Voices is that it’s very good. It’s a good concert of good songs, I found myself unable to stop listening to it, all of it, and usually I have a shorter attention span. Of course part of it is that I was in the mood, and it’s a while since I listened to this music so it sounded fresh and like revisiting an old friend. And part of it is maybe that their choice of songs is particularly accessible. But I’m sure the interpretations have something to do with it too.

Claire Wilkinson has a voice which is my sort of thing, and for me makes a magnificent contribution here - all the singing is up my alley,  and in the isorhythmic numbers they sing as a team.

Gone are the old days of Gothic Voices using vocalise for untexted music in songs, now they use instruments. I’m fine about that. I’d also say that they’re just a smidgen more relaxed than they were, a smidgen more sensual, a lot more visceral. I’m fine about that too.

One of the most striking things about the recording is the sound quality, it’s really fabulous, holographic.

There was a magic to some of the older recordings, I’d catch myself just amazed at the intensity of it, and the inwardness and sense of meaning. That hasn’t happened to me here yet. It’s a performance here, more than an expression of something felt. But this is all subjective and I don’t want to draw any conclusions about quality.

One particularly interesting thing to do is compare their two versions of  Je requier à tous amoureux, one here and one on The Medieval Romantics. The one here is with harp, the other is with the untexted voice given over to vocalise. One is more intense and driven, the other more intimate and languid. One is more interesting contrapuntally, the other more interesting melodically.  I refuse to rank these performances. Refuse. 

The booklet is not very inspiring. We have the text translated and a journalistic essay describing the CDs concept - an imaginary wedding.

There used to be very little Dufay by Gothic Voices on record: je ne dors on The Castle of Fair Welcome, Je requier à tous amoureux and Las que je ferai? on The Medieval Romantics; Quel front signorille in paradiso on A Song for Francesca; J’attendrai tant qu’il vous plaira, mon cœur me fait tout dit penser and les bons vins de lanay on The Garden of Zephyrus. So it’s very nice to have this CD.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:43:29 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach, Liszt, Brahms, Debussy, Sravinsky
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »
Claire Wilkinson has a voice which is my sort of thing

Mine too.  I also have her singing the "Pie Jesu" in the Durufle Requiem which is one of the best performances I have heard.