Author Topic: EJ Moeran  (Read 19159 times)

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
Re: EJ Moeran
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2017, 07:17:29 AM »
I'm currently enjoying this cd. Another great cover photo,too!

It's interesting to be reminded that I was enjoying listening to a cd of a mewing kitten!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 02:14:51 AM by cilgwyn »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Samuel Barber (1910 - 1981)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sounds from Knoxville during the Summer of 1915
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2017, 07:30:27 AM »
Be aware John that the soloist on this Lyrita release is Moeran's widow. By the time she made the recording she was no longer performing regularly in concert and therefore her playing is not as polished as the recordings on Chandos and Naxos. Having said that there is a humanity about this performance which, in my eyes, elevates it above all those version. You might be interested in my review of the CD on Amazon UK and the comment by Peter Gage below it. This is, along with the symphony, Moeran's greatest work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/E-Moeran-Cello-Concerto-Sonata-x/dp/B00165QOSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1485246164&sr=1-1&keywords=Moeran+coetmore

I've added the cover image to the Lyrita CD (above).
I find the picture very poignant. Moeran was a troubled man probably due to having shrapnel in his head from the First World War. His friendship with  the composer Peter Warlock didn't do him any good either. He married late in life to the cellist Piers Coetmore, the soloist on the Lyrita recording. The relationship was also troubled and the marriage was not especially happy - they spent long periods apart as she was touring frequently. I find the photo moving because although they are holding hands you get a sense, I think, that all is not well from the body language and facial expressions - like they are close but not close. The fact that it is a black and white photo in a bleak moorland landscape ( where I suspect Moeran felt most at home) only adds to it. Maybe I'm retrospectively reading things into it which were not there. Anyway, I love the CD - greatest, though least polished performance of the Cello Concerto and find the climax of the last movement to be overwhelming. Boult's accompaniment is also wonderful - a truly great disc.

Thanks for the information and feedback, Jeffrey. I'm not too worried about a performance being that polished whenever the emotional commitment from the soloist is much more attention-grabbing. I didn't know Coetmore was his wife. Interesting.

"How awful that the artist has become nothing but the after-dinner mint of society.”

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2017, 07:37:05 AM »
Thanks for the information and feedback, Jeffrey. I'm not too worried about a performance being that polished whenever the emotional commitment from the soloist is much more attention-grabbing. I didn't know Coetmore was his wife. Interesting.
Both the other works on the CD are very good too John. Moeran regarded the Cello Sonata as the final statement of his musical beliefs
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2017, 07:37:44 AM »
I'm currently enjoying this cd. Another great cover photo,too!

A great CD in all respects. I especially like 'In the Mountain Country'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2018, 08:06:16 AM »
Enjoying Moeran's life-affirming 'Sinfonietta' from this splendid collection. Really, he should have called it Symphony 2:

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
Enjoying Moeran's life-affirming 'Sinfonietta' from this splendid collection. Really, he should have called it Symphony 2:

Count me as another fan of that sparkling work. The only recording I have is this one:

My favorite movement is the 2nd (the variations). There is an unforgettable melody which delights me over and over again.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:49:41 AM by SymphonicAddict »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2018, 11:11:04 AM »
Count me as another fan of that sparkling work. The only recording I have is this one:

My favorite movement is the 2nd (the variations). There is an unforgettable melody which delights me over and over again.

I love the whole work Cesar and have every recording I think  ::)

Let me see:

Boult Lyrita (the best I think)
BBC Radio Classics (Boult)
Naxos (Lloyd Jones)
Somm (Beecham)
Del Mar (Chandos)
Hickox (EMI)

They are all good in different ways.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:13:45 AM by vandermolen »

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2018, 12:37:14 PM »
I love the whole work Cesar and have every recording I think  ::)

Let me see:

Boult Lyrita (the best I think)
BBC Radio Classics (Boult)
Naxos (Lloyd Jones)
Somm (Beecham)
Del Mar (Chandos)
Hickox (EMI)

They are all good in different ways.

Please, don't get me wrong. I do also love the whole work. It's just that melody is really special to me  ;)

In fact, I'm thinking in getting the Boult one. It is paired with the Symphony, isn't it?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:42:03 PM by SymphonicAddict »

Online Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
  • If it sound good it is good.
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2018, 12:41:57 PM »
I think I have the Sinfonietta by Hickox and the Symphony by Handley. Don't recall having listened.

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2018, 12:45:25 PM »
I think I have the Sinfonietta by Hickox and the Symphony by Handley. Don't recall having listened.

It would be good you give them a spin. Those works are wonderful.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2018, 08:52:50 PM »
Please, don't get me wrong. I do also love the whole work. It's just that melody is really special to me  ;)

In fact, I'm thinking in getting the Boult one. It is paired with the Symphony, isn't it?

I realised that you liked it all Cesar. My post didn't come out as I intended. Yes, on Lyrita - a wonderful CD.

Offline Oates

« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2018, 05:10:43 AM »
I realised that you liked it all Cesar. My post didn't come out as I intended. Yes, on Lyrita - a wonderful CD.

Much as I value Boult's brilliant version of the symphony, I don't think the Lyrita releases capture the 3 rhapsodies as well as Vernon Handley does on Chandos.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2018, 05:50:16 AM »
Much as I value Boult's brilliant version of the symphony, I don't think the Lyrita releases capture the 3 rhapsodies as well as Vernon Handley does on Chandos.
Interesting point although I much prefer Boult's version of the symphony to Handley's, strong as that is. Actually the version by Neville Dilkes is my favourite recording of the symphony (also Heward).

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2018, 06:50:42 AM »
Moeran has become a real favorite of mine recently. Particularly the epic Symphony in G minor and the hauntingly lyrical Cello Concerto, but also the invogorating Sinfonietta, colorful Rhapsodies, and folksy String Quartet no. 1. Not unlike RVW, Moeran’s music has an immensely appealing combination of Sibelian power and atmosphere, English folk influences, and emotional pathos.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2018, 08:47:51 AM »
Moeran has become a real favorite of mine recently. Particularly the epic Symphony in G minor and the hauntingly lyrical Cello Concerto, but also the invogorating Sinfonietta, colorful Rhapsodies, and folksy String Quartet no. 1. Not unlike RVW, Moeran’s music has an immensely appealing combination of Sibelian power and atmosphere, English folk influences, and emotional pathos.

There's a really nice Cello Sonata as well Kyle.

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »

No problem  :)

Thank you Jeffrey. I'm gonna acquire it, perhaps next month.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:03:26 AM by SymphonicAddict »

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2018, 11:01:38 AM »
I share your tastes about those works. Additionally, I like the Violin sonata, the Violin concerto, the 2 string quartets, the piano trio, the string trio, Nocturne for baritone, chorus and orchestra and the completed 2nd Symphony in E flat major. There definitely are more works to discover yet. Regarding the Cello sonata, I find it a bit dry. I suppose I need to appreciate it better.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2018, 11:38:40 AM »
No problem  :)

Thank you Jeffrey. I'm gonna acquire it, perhaps next month.

I'm sure that you wont regret it Cesar.
 :)

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2018, 06:25:09 PM »
I only just found out that Moeran's solo songs had been recorded (on Chandos). Have ordered them. Has anyone else had a listen?