Author Topic: Sir Arnold Bax  (Read 102420 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Sir Arnold Bax
« Reply #760 on: January 10, 2018, 11:48:13 AM »
It is a complete and utter disgrace, one of the things for which classical music must be most shameful, that the concert hall repertoire is so narrow. But as we all know, The Big £/$ rules the world.

I agree.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #761 on: April 09, 2018, 12:32:11 AM »
I listened to Barbirolli conducting Bax's Fourth symphony last night. I put it on a cd-r with his recording of Ireland's The Forgotten Rite and Mai Dun. Barbirolli's Fourth is available as download from the Art Music Forum,and available on Youtube. It made me wish,even more,that he'd recorded more Bax symphonies (and more Bax!). Going by the few Bax recordings he made,and I've heard,he seems the ideal conductor (and for Ireland). The Fourth is often regarded as one of Bax's weakest symphonies,if not the weakest. Yet,it's one of my favourites!

Offline Biffo

« Reply #762 on: April 09, 2018, 01:01:45 AM »
I have Barbirolli conducting Symphony No 3, recorded in 1943/44 with the composer present (Dutton). It is coupled with the Violin Concerto conducted by Boult with Eda Kersey as soloist. Barbirolli also recorded Tintagel and The Garden of Fand - these have appeared with different couplings over the years.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #763 on: April 09, 2018, 08:15:36 AM »
I listened to Barbirolli conducting Bax's Fourth symphony last night. I put it on a cd-r with his recording of Ireland's The Forgotten Rite and Mai Dun. Barbirolli's Fourth is available as download from the Art Music Forum,and available on Youtube. It made me wish,even more,that he'd recorded more Bax symphonies (and more Bax!). Going by the few Bax recordings he made,and I've heard,he seems the ideal conductor (and for Ireland). The Fourth is often regarded as one of Bax's weakest symphonies,if not the weakest. Yet,it's one of my favourites!
How exciting! No.4 is one of my favourites along with 3 and 5 although I like them all. No.6 is sometimes seen as the best of them all but it is possibly my least favourite even though I still like it. I wish that Barbirolli had done a complete VW symphony cycle for EMI as, I think, was originally planned (or maybe it was to be shared with Boult). He was only able to complete Nos. 2 and 5 before he died. I do have him performing Nos. 2,6,7 and 8 (he was the dedicatee) on different labels.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #764 on: May 14, 2018, 07:04:00 PM »
Recently discovered two of Bax's chamber works that I found to be equal in quality to his best orchestral works (though they are certainly 'lighter' and less 'epic' than, say, his symphonies) - his String Quartet no. 1 and Harp Quintet. The String Quartet no. 1 is a folksy, tuneful, almost Dvorakian work with a heart-rending slow movement, and the Harp Quintet is a magical score filled with Celtic beauty.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #765 on: May 14, 2018, 10:32:10 PM »
Recently discovered two of Bax's chamber works that I found to be equal in quality to his best orchestral works (though they are certainly 'lighter' and less 'epic' than, say, his symphonies) - his String Quartet no. 1 and Harp Quintet. The String Quartet no. 1 is a folksy, tuneful, almost Dvorakian work with a heart-rending slow movement, and the Harp Quintet is a magical score filled with Celtic beauty.
The Harp Quintet is my favourite of Bax's chamber works with a lovely and haunting tune.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #766 on: May 15, 2018, 08:48:03 AM »
The Harp Quintet is my favourite of Bax's chamber works with a lovely and haunting tune.

Indeed, that tune, first introduced by the cello, is so gorgeous and memorable.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff