Author Topic: Erich Wolfgang Korngold  (Read 24788 times)

jlaurson

Re: Erich Wolfgang Korngold
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2016, 05:39:53 AM »
Happy Birthday, Wolferl!

Latest on Forbes.com:
An Introduction To Erich Wolfgang Korngold

...It wasn’t that far from his Snowman to Korngold’s first works of artistic maturity – and the Sextet, op.10, premièred in Vienna just before the composers’ 20th birthday May 29th, 1917, already shows a composer in the fullest bloom of creative prowess. Think Arnold Schoenberg’s Verklärte Nacht or Richard Strauss’ Metamorphosen and you get a fair idea of its perfectly developed chromatic romanticism. Add to that a touch of Viennese gaiety in the Intermezzo, and an Adagio that teases the ear with unfamiliar harmonies—not unlike the opening of Mozart’s “Dissonance Quartet” or Alban Berg’s Piano Sonata op.1—before offering up the notes that reel us back into familiar, lush territory...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/05/29/korngold_surprised-by-beauty/

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2016, 06:23:56 AM »
Excellent article, Jens  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Toru Takemitsu (1930 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of a flock descending across the pentagonal garden
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2016, 07:35:50 AM »
I still am of the opinion that Korngold's Violin Concerto is his best work. I haven't quite warmed up to much else, although I do recall enjoying the Piano Trio quite a bit.
"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

jlaurson

« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2016, 07:51:37 AM »

Sarge

Thanks kindly. If you like this, you will love "Surprised by Beauty".   ;)

I still am of the opinion that Korngold's Violin Concerto is his best work. I haven't quite warmed up to much else, although I do recall enjoying the Piano Trio quite a bit.

I tend to agree. Or at least I wouldn't disagree. It's one of his great works... but there are others that serve different tastes better, I'd argue. Here, on ionarts, is an accompanying piece with favorite recordings and the VC is right up the first item.

The Sounds of Korngold

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2016/05/TheSoundsofKorngold.html
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:05:41 AM by jlaurson »

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2016, 08:03:44 AM »

+1 - excellent article - I'll have to pull out my 10 discs or so of Korngold today!  Dave :)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2016, 09:40:40 AM »
Coincidentally was listening to his symphony (Storgards, Helsinki PO) earlier today. I like that work best of all.
Interesting new (reissue) release:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2016, 10:15:08 AM »
Thanks kindly. If you like this, you will love "Surprised by Beauty".   ;)

There's a Kindle edition, yeah! I'll order it.

Sarge

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2016, 10:17:36 AM »
Coincidentally was listening to his symphony (Storgards, Helsinki PO) earlier today. I like that work best of all.
Interesting new (reissue) release:

That reissue includes my favorite performance of the Symphony...although Jens' pick (Welser-Möst) is sensational too, much faster in the first movement, more dramatic.

Sarge

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »
That reissue includes my favorite performance of the Symphony...although Jens' pick (Welser-Möst) is sensational too, much faster in the first movement, more dramatic.

Sarge
I rate this version very highly too Sarge, although I like Kempe's pioneering version as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2016, 10:27:35 PM »
The Sextet and Piano Quintet are certainly worthwhile for everyone liking very late romantic chamber stuff (e.g. Verklärte Nacht). I don't think I have ever heard the symphony and I am not enough into opera, but Die tote Stadt used to be quite popular and still is staged once in a while.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2016, 11:21:17 PM »
Yeah, his chamber works are pretty good.
My favorite recording of the 2nd String Quartet in Eb, Op.26 is by the New World Quartet, recorded back in 1978 - issued on LP by Vox and currently on CD along with other new music from old world composers.

^ click to enlarge
The Aron Quartett, the Doric Quartet and the Flesch Quartet have recorded the string quartets more recently.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:14:29 AM by Scion7 »
Your barricades lie broken ... your enemies lord.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
Happy Birthday, Wolferl!

Latest on Forbes.com:
An Introduction To Erich Wolfgang Korngold

...It wasn’t that far from his Snowman to Korngold’s first works of artistic maturity – and the Sextet, op.10, premièred in Vienna just before the composers’ 20th birthday May 29th, 1917, already shows a composer in the fullest bloom of creative prowess. Think Arnold Schoenberg’s Verklärte Nacht or Richard Strauss’ Metamorphosen and you get a fair idea of its perfectly developed chromatic romanticism. Add to that a touch of Viennese gaiety in the Intermezzo, and an Adagio that teases the ear with unfamiliar harmonies—not unlike the opening of Mozart’s “Dissonance Quartet” or Alban Berg’s Piano Sonata op.1—before offering up the notes that reel us back into familiar, lush territory...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/05/29/korngold_surprised-by-beauty/

It's his birthday again! 120th, this time.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #152 on: May 29, 2017, 10:19:23 AM »
It's his birthday again! 120th, this time.
😀

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2017, 02:16:18 PM »
😀

Missed the birthday party...and it's too late (after 1a.m.) to celebrate now. Tomorrow, then, a belated celebration.

Sarge

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2017, 08:26:39 PM »
Playing the Suite for 2 violins, cello and piano (left hand), op. 23: It's quite quite good, an exceptional chamber piece. What a great discovery for my ears!! His symphony, Sursum Corda and the Violin concerto are other great favorites of mine. Having heard this, the most probable thing is there are other jewels in his chamber output.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:42:58 PM by SymphonicAddict »

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2018, 08:09:55 AM »
This is something I've long wanted to do, and of course it took several OTHER projects that I should be working on right now for me to finally do that, namely the cleaning, updating, and generally sprucing-up of the Recommended Recordings Sections of the Surprised By Beauty website.

Now I've tackled Ahmad Saygun & Erich Wolfgang Korngold:

Erich Wolfgang Korngold – Recommended Recordings

https://surprisedbybeautyorg.wordpress.com/2017/01/04/erich-wolfgang-korngold-recommended-recordings/

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2018, 05:28:18 AM »
Oh, just as this thread shows up on the front page of Composer Discussion, I happen to be listening to the Sinfonietta in B major. A deceptive title for such a large-scale work, both in duration and in orchestral forces.

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »
Oh, just as this thread shows up on the front page of Composer Discussion, I happen to be listening to the Sinfonietta in B major. A deceptive title for such a large-scale work, both in duration and in orchestral forces.

It is a proper symphony, the diminutive title is in conjunction to its sunny disposition and ebullient character. Also, I imagine, due to the fact that wunderkind Korngold was in his teens when he wrote it and wouldn't have wanted to take himself too seriously. It is, however, a seriously brilliant work, full of good - and clever! - humour, superb ideas, resplendent orchestration and tons of swagger. I wish it were performed more often.