Author Topic: Vaughan Williams's Veranda  (Read 361026 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Vaughan Williams's Veranda
« Reply #4060 on: May 22, 2019, 11:43:34 AM »
I can’t think of another composer who wrote as gorgeous music for strings as RVW: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, Partita for Double String Orchestra, Five Variants on ‘Dives and Lazarus’, Concerto Grosso, among others.

There is a reason why I name-checked RVW in this review.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline relm1

« Reply #4061 on: May 22, 2019, 04:28:44 PM »
I can’t think of another composer who wrote as gorgeous music for strings as RVW: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, Partita for Double String Orchestra, Five Variants on ‘Dives and Lazarus’, Concerto Grosso, among others.

He has a unique sound with the strings that is immediately identifiable as RVW which I too adore. 

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The lark ascending into the distant horizon
« Reply #4062 on: May 22, 2019, 05:51:39 PM »
There is a reason why I name-checked RVW in this review.

Yes, indeed. 8)

He has a unique sound with the strings that is immediately identifiable as RVW which I too adore. 

Great to read, relm1.
“In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #4063 on: May 22, 2019, 08:07:07 PM »
Review of the new Manze CD of symphonies 7 'Antartica' and 9:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/May/VW_sys79_4190.htm
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #4064 on: May 22, 2019, 10:58:48 PM »
The superscriptions oh dear, here we go again.  The reviewer should be aware that there is at least one more recording of the Antartica that features them, besides the three he pillories - that by Raymond Leppard and the Indianapolis SO.  On second thoughts, perhaps he should be left in ignorance, since the Leppard recording features extended spoken texts, that overlap the music on more than one occasion (not just once as with Manze) and at one point spoken text is even interpolated mid-movement.  Given his rather over-the-top response to the lightly-delivered contributions to the Manze recording Mr Quinn would probably have a seizure if he listened to Leppard.

Really, I don't think anyone should let this be a deal-breaker either way, whatever recording they choose - the superscripts are brief episodes, gone in no time, and in the case here of Timothy West delivered disarmingly, without any sense of portent or knighted self-aggrandisment.  The performance and recording are as the reviewer says, otherwise top-notch - although I find the general recording quality a bit unusual - it is remarkably detailed to be sure, but at the same time slightly recessed, veiled, perhaps you could say 'analogue' in its overall presentation.  Maybe this is the modern state of the art, I dunno. It may just be an impression because overall it is 'cut' at a lowish level, to allow space for the eventual huge climax.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 11:04:39 PM by aukhawk »