Author Topic: Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)  (Read 238053 times)

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
  • If it sound good it is good.
Re: Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
« Reply #1700 on: December 19, 2017, 02:20:48 PM »
Hello. About the controversial subject of Beethoven's tempi, I've been making some research and just realized one important fact that many maybe seem to be missing. The 9th was played in other parts of the world several months after it's debut in 1824, and received raving critiques. His other symphonies were also played by orchestras all over. So the conductors must have naturally followed the tempi that Beethoven marked. We have the original manuscript, and if it had wrong markings, they would have been corrected while Beethoven was still alive, in order for his 9th to have been played appropriately. The same goes for the broken metronome argument. Other conductors that played his symphonies must have communicated with Beethoven if they though his markings were off. Maybe some of these conductors were in the debut as well. The other argument that I've seen is that at the time they used one complete cycle of the metronome back and fourth, as one beat, so that would mean that the tempo should be halved, or something like that, and while not an expert on classical music, far from it, I am not sure about it, as it possibly wouldn't agree with the old system of "Allegro ma non troppo" e.t.c.

Your argument has huge assumptions. In Beethoven's time the metronome had just started to come into use. Quite possibly contemporary conductors looked at the traditional tempo markings and simply ignored the metronome markings.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #1701 on: January 31, 2018, 01:41:41 PM »
Latest on Forbes.com

Classical CD Of The Week: Classic Beethoven From Vienna Via Korea

I would argue that this is the most successful of the six cycles the orchestra has recorded.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1702 on: February 01, 2018, 04:08:04 AM »
Enjoy Beethoven better with this one weird trick
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #1703 on: February 01, 2018, 08:24:15 AM »
Latest on Forbes.com

Classical CD Of The Week: Classic Beethoven From Vienna Via Korea

I would argue that this is the most successful of the six cycles the orchestra has recorded.

Physical discs can only be acquired from Korea, but the whole cycle (incl. the piano concerts with Backhaus and the violin concerto with Szeryng) can be downloaded in FLAC format from Presto Classical:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/7923782--beethoven-complete-symphonies-other-works

I had some problems however with the Choral finale (unable to burn this particular movement to CDR- surely a file error), which Presto couldn't solve for me.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #1704 on: February 01, 2018, 08:43:37 AM »
Physical discs can only be acquired from Korea, but the whole cycle (incl. the piano concerts with Backhaus and the violin concerto with Szeryng) can be downloaded in FLAC format from Presto Classical:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/7923782--beethoven-complete-symphonies-other-works

I had some problems however with the Choral finale (unable to burn this particular movement to CDR- surely a file error), which Presto couldn't solve for me.

Correct; also Apple Music has it with and without Decca branding. But I'm so physical in my outlook and habit, as regards music, that if it doesn't exist on CD, it just doesn't exist for me.  :D My flaw.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #1705 on: February 01, 2018, 09:00:57 AM »
Correct; also Apple Music has it with and without Decca branding. But I'm so physical in my outlook and habit, as regards music, that if it doesn't exist on CD, it just doesn't exist for me:D My flaw.

So was I until about two years ago. Too many CDs, I wanted to hear, were unavailable as physical discs, so I resigned and began to purchase these in the shape of downloads. So far I have not regretted this.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1706 on: February 02, 2018, 03:47:32 AM »
Thanks to our Scarps for providing the final straw, as it were . . . I have at last reeled in the Pollini set of the pf sonatas.  It is a little misleading if I say I have been loving it.  I mean, it's musically true, but I have also been stuck (and entirely agreeably) listening mostly to the Hammerklavier.

I do propose to get out and about within that box more, though, and soon.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
  • If it sound good it is good.
« Reply #1707 on: February 02, 2018, 09:14:11 AM »
Glad it's been a positive experience. I wouldn't feel bad about getting stuck on the Hammerklavier. I think overall 90% of my listening to Pollini's Beethoven Piano Sonata recordings have been the Late Sonatas, where his unique skills really find their true field of action.