Author Topic: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!  (Read 1289315 times)

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
Re: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!
« Reply #24700 on: February 20, 2018, 01:03:52 PM »
Excellent! Brings back memories of my first hardcore punk show, the Kennedys (with supporting German band, Napalm) in Stuttgart, Dec 82. That was was not only Mrs. Rock's first punk experience, it was her last  ;D "Too Drunk to Fuck" was one of my favorite punk songs.

Sarge

In 1977 for about six weeks I was based in San Francisco playing up and down the coast in jazz clubs with David "Fathead" Newman.  But, the Dead Kennedys were getting popular and playing in clubs like the Mabuhay Gardens and similar venues.  There was a small group of bands with names like Single Bullet Theory and Grassy Knoll at the same time.  As far as I know, the Kennedys was the only one to survive into the post punk period.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:05:25 PM by San Antone »

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #24701 on: February 20, 2018, 01:40:15 PM »
In 1977 for about six weeks I was based in San Francisco playing up and down the coast in jazz clubs with David "Fathead" Newman.  But, the Dead Kennedys were getting popular and playing in clubs like the Mabuhay Gardens and similar venues.  There was a small group of bands with names like Single Bullet Theory and Grassy Knoll at the same time.  As far as I know, the Kennedys was the only one to survive into the post punk period.

Interesting flashback. Thanks. I hadn't heard of those other assassination inspired groups. I was in Ohio then (1977-80),  beginning to experience the Akron sound (The Rubber City Rebels, Devo, The Waitresses, Rachel Sweet) and personalities from the city like Chrissie Hynde before the Pretenders (she was a photographic model for a friend of mine).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Draško

« Reply #24702 on: February 20, 2018, 02:32:00 PM »
Excellent! Brings back memories of my first hardcore punk show, the Kennedys (with supporting German band, Napalm) in Stuttgart, Dec 82. That was was not only Mrs. Rock's first punk experience, it was her last  ;D "Too Drunk to Fuck" was one of my favorite punk songs.

Sarge

:o Wow, would have loved to have heard them back in the 80s (and Blondie that Nik mentioned in another thread), though 82 was bit early for me, and foreign bands playing in Belgrade were few, far and between even in the 80s. Thankfully local punk and hardcore scene was really strong in late 80s early 90s. When I was about 14 - 16 years old I've been to dozens and dozens of gigs (and still have the scars to prove it 8)), almost weekly. And there were plenty of girls at those, and fine ones at that, sorry to hear Mrs Rock wasn't into it :(  One of the most fun and carefree periods that I can remember  ;D ;D

on topic:

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #24703 on: February 20, 2018, 04:49:09 PM »
When I was about 14 - 16 years old I've been to dozens and dozens of gigs (and still have the scars to prove it 8)

I've got a few scars too. Those mosh pits were brutal. I usually ended up bloodied. At the Kennedys' concert, my first punk experience, not knowing what to expect, I was positioned dead center, a short way from the stage, when the band took the stage and the music exploded. I felt like a ball in a pinball machine  ;D  But I soon got the hang of it, enjoyed the physical contact.

When I was about 14 - 16 years old I've been to dozens and dozens of gigs...One of the most fun and carefree periods that I can remember  ;D ;D

That was, for me, 1982-83. But I was a geezer then, 33, 34 :D  Saw these great bands:

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft
Jethro Tull
Black Flag
Minutemen
Dead Kennedys
Charged G.B.H.
UK Subs
Gun Club
Bad Brains
Black Sabbath
Mother's Finest
and a half dozen German hardcore bands

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
« Reply #24704 on: February 20, 2018, 06:54:24 PM »
Came across this somewhere and knew I needed to hear it at least once:

I really rather enjoyed it. The music, the dub, is quite good.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Draško

« Reply #24705 on: February 21, 2018, 06:18:37 AM »
I've got a few scars too. Those mosh pits were brutal. I usually ended up bloodied. At the Kennedys' concert, my first punk experience, not knowing what to expect, I was positioned dead center, a short way from the stage, when the band took the stage and the music exploded. I felt like a ball in a pinball machine  ;D  But I soon got the hang of it, enjoyed the physical contact.

That was, for me, 1982-83. But I was a geezer then, 33, 34 :D

It just hurts more when you are 33  :laugh:

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft
Jethro Tull
Black Flag
Minutemen
Dead Kennedys
Charged G.B.H.
UK Subs
Gun Club
Bad Brains
Black Sabbath
Mother's Finest
and a half dozen German hardcore bands

That's impressive line-up. Especially to have seen Black Flag at their peak, with Rollins, I'd have loved that.  8)

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #24706 on: February 21, 2018, 07:43:13 AM »
Came across this somewhere and knew I needed to hear it at least once:

I really rather enjoyed it. The music, the dub, is quite good.

Do you know this one, a Bill Laswell collaboration with the then still living uncle billy?

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
« Reply #24707 on: February 21, 2018, 02:09:59 PM »
Do you know this one, a Bill Laswell collaboration with the then still living uncle billy?

No, I don't. I'll make a note of it. :) Thanks, bwv 1080!
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #24708 on: February 22, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
The Kinks, Muswell Hillbillies (1971).

Good.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #24709 on: February 22, 2018, 12:07:19 PM »
The Kinks, Muswell Hillbillies (1971).

Good.

"O demon al-co-hol ..." 

Yep, a great one.

TD

Lonesome Sisters : Deep Water
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:11:56 PM by San Antone »

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #24710 on: February 22, 2018, 09:14:25 PM »
Would rank this 2002 release up there with any 70s prog / concept album, one of those works that trancends genre

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:16:17 PM by bwv 1080 »
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Offline wolftone

« Reply #24711 on: February 22, 2018, 10:02:20 PM »
Would rank this 2002 release up there with any 70s prog / concept album, one of those works that trancends genre

Probably Agalloch's best.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK