Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.

Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 948376 times)

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #13740 on: April 27, 2012, 05:58:06 AM »
How would it almost make one wonder that?  Coppola put about a decade of work into the three movies when he was young and hungry.  He then got older, fatter, and presumably happier and didn't work as hard.

And film-making is a collective endeavor, requiring studio resources, both physical and monetary.  So there is a dimension of the artist doesn't choose to work so hard which differs here to the work of (say) a composer, whose work waxes stronger with age and experience.

Or most composers.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #13741 on: April 28, 2012, 12:17:02 PM »
Susan & I were away for a short 3-day overnight in Blowing Rock, NC - usually stay at a condo at the Chetola Resort; took along 8 DVDs (all her picks), so each night early we had some wine, cheese, & crackers and watched about half of those we brought, i.e. the ones below - ladies choice - :)

P.S. Of course, the most appropriate for our locale was the Songcatcher filmed around the Asheville, NC area, another favorite mountain haunt for us -  :D

Philoctetes

« Reply #13742 on: April 28, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »
Continuing on the same path, I'm looking a bit deeper into some odd Youtube phenomenons:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GT5qIraqCys" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GT5qIraqCys</a>

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #13743 on: April 29, 2012, 07:42:42 AM »

Immortals is basically a B movie in terms of plot and dialogue, but the visual style and mastery so overwhelm the story that it is impossible to take one's eyes off it.  Tarsem Singh is a genius.  If he could hook up with a good screenwriter and editor, he could make a masterpiece for the ages.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #13744 on: April 29, 2012, 07:48:21 AM »

Immortals is basically a B movie in terms of plot and dialogue, but the visual style and mastery so overwhelm the story that it is impossible to take one's eyes off it.  Tarsem Singh is a genius.  If he could hook up with a good screenwriter and editor, he could make a masterpiece for the ages.

Get him Joss Whedon's phone#!

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #13745 on: April 29, 2012, 07:55:59 AM »
Get him Joss Whedon's phone#!

Not what I had in mind.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #13746 on: April 29, 2012, 08:01:09 AM »

Not what I had in mind.

Halfway joking. But Whedon has helped with quite a bit of scripts.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #13747 on: April 29, 2012, 09:32:26 AM »
     Last night it was Cleopatra. I enjoyed it (again), and it struck me that it was fairly accurate in most respects, though Cleo and Mark had no children. Where did they go?

Octavian, played a bit too broadly by Roddy McDowall, was more important to the film than I remembered. He looked the part, I'll give him that.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:22:09 PM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:25.1) Gecko/20141110 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.1.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:37.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/37.0

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #13748 on: April 29, 2012, 05:32:41 PM »

This film rocks me, one of the most lyrical and poignant films about kids.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:45:24 PM by TheGSMoeller »

eyeresist

« Reply #13749 on: April 29, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »
Last night it was Cleopatra.

All I remember about Cleopatra is that after Rex Harrison died (SPOILER!) I ceased to be entertained.

How would it almost make one wonder that?  Coppola put about a decade of work into the three movies when he was young and hungry.  He then got older, fatter, and presumably happier and didn't work as hard.

Whether he got less talented or more lazy, the result was mediocrity.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #13750 on: April 29, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »
All I remember about Cleopatra is that after Rex Harrison died (SPOILER!) I ceased to be entertained.

That is a magnificent performance, but I noticed something this time I hadn't picked up before, and that is Taylor is dreadful in the Caesar part and very good in the Antony part. Her voice is screechy in the scenes with Harrison but lower and warmer with Burton. My view is Harrison, rightly in my view, couldn't stand this awful actress he was stuck with and did nothing to help her. Burton, infatuated as he was, helped her through the scenes they had together and coaxed a much better performance from her.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:25.1) Gecko/20141110 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.1.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:37.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/37.0

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #13751 on: April 30, 2012, 06:45:06 AM »
All I remember about Cleopatra is that after Rex Harrison died (SPOILER!)

Cæsar dies??!! Who knew?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

« Reply #13752 on: April 30, 2012, 08:07:20 AM »
While running, not super, but amusing nevertheless.

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

« Reply #13753 on: April 30, 2012, 08:08:47 AM »
And as a second during running, a well made production.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #13754 on: May 01, 2012, 05:14:55 AM »
The new The Dark Knight Rises trailer...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/g8evyE9TuYk&amp;list=UUjmJDM5pRKbUlVIzDYYWb6g&amp;index=1&amp;feature=plcp" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/g8evyE9TuYk&amp;list=UUjmJDM5pRKbUlVIzDYYWb6g&amp;index=1&amp;feature=plcp</a>

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #13755 on: May 01, 2012, 05:54:09 AM »
The new The Dark Knight Rises trailer

A new Batman movie, you say?

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #13756 on: May 01, 2012, 06:00:10 AM »

A new Batman movie, you say?

Yes, sir.
Nolan has the difficult task of following one of, if not the greatest film based on a comic book, but based on trailers, and this is always an iffy subject, it looks as if he might come close to similar success.

Has anyone seen The Avengers yet? It's not out in the US but I know it's out in other areas of the world.

DavidW

« Reply #13757 on: May 01, 2012, 06:32:01 AM »
Yes, sir.
Nolan has the difficult task of following one of, if not the greatest film based on a comic book, but based on trailers, and this is always an iffy subject, it looks as if he might come close to similar success.

Even if it's not on par with TDK, a Batman movie that does Bane justice automatically gives it the thumbs up for me.  Bane from Batman and Robin was awful.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #13758 on: May 01, 2012, 06:41:23 AM »
Even if it's not on par with TDK, a Batman movie that does Bane justice automatically gives it the thumbs up for me.  Bane from Batman and Robin was awful.

Yeah, everything about that film was awful.
TDKR looks to follow real Bane quite well, and if you're familiar with the comics then you have to know what's in store for Batman.  ;)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #13759 on: May 01, 2012, 06:42:02 AM »
Even if it's not on par with TDK, a Batman movie that does Bane justice automatically gives it the thumbs up for me.

The trailers are obviously too short to do much.  I must say that the opening sequence lacks the punch of the TDK opener.  (Of course, watching it pirated on a laptop using laptop speakers loses a little something, but still.)  Seeing Bane after the bag was removed lacked the jolt of seeing The Joker for the first time.  Still, I will see this on opening weekend and the local super-premium theater with its gargantuan, non-IMAX screen and insanely good sound system.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK