Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 762094 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #13740 on: April 26, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »
Have you seen Animal Kingdom yet? If not, I'd highly recommend it.

I may very well have to investigate.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Philoctetes

« Reply #13741 on: April 26, 2012, 06:29:05 PM »
I may very well have to investigate.

It's extremely well put together, especially since that was the director's first major go. All of the characters are great, and it tells sort of a story that is like The Devil's Rejects, but grounded in reality. The mother really steals the entire show. She was simply stunning.

eyeresist

« Reply #13742 on: April 26, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »
Should be a good summer, what with Prometheus, TDKR, the new Total Recall, and, of course, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

All shite, I guarantee it. What was the last good movie Ridley Scott made? Briefly had hopes for Dark Shadows, but the trailer is horrible. Only thing worth anticipating is Avengers, because of Whedon.

Philoctetes

« Reply #13743 on: April 26, 2012, 06:41:22 PM »
All shite, I guarantee it. What was the last good movie Ridley Scott made? Briefly had hopes for Dark Shadows, but the trailer is horrible. Only thing worth anticipating is Avengers, because of Whedon.

Body of Lies was pretty sweet, and that's fairly recent.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #13744 on: April 26, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
All shite, I guarantee it.

Right.  As the films I mentioned are all summer movies, I'm looking for lots of big 'splosions and such.  From the footage I've seen, none will really miss.  You clearly have a hankerin' for some something else. 

What was the last good movie Ridley Scott made?

American Gangster.   

Plus, this is sci-fi, where Mr Scott has historically done his best work.

Online TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #13745 on: April 26, 2012, 06:45:22 PM »

True about Scott, but there's a lot of hope with him returning to a genre in which he has created legends in.

I'm interested to see how the re-boot of Spiderman turns out. But agree with you on Avengers, as soon as I heard Whedon was directing I was hooked.

DavidW

« Reply #13746 on: April 26, 2012, 06:47:45 PM »
You know even though I love Alien and Blade Runner I'm not in general a fan of Ridley Scott.

I did like American Gangster and Black Hawk Down but most of his movies are meh for me.

DavidW

« Reply #13747 on: April 26, 2012, 06:48:38 PM »
Oh yeah I forgot Gladiator... ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!? ;D ;D

Online TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #13748 on: April 26, 2012, 06:54:45 PM »

Actually, watching it right now, but have seen it before, this film along with Edgar Wrighy's other films (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) to me never get stale after multiple viewings, highly entertaining.

eyeresist

« Reply #13749 on: April 26, 2012, 07:28:12 PM »
True about Scott, but there's a lot of hope with him returning to a genre in which he has created legends in.
I don't think a return to sci-fi will help. I'm really depressed about the directors who started great but have gone downhill. Spielberg and Scorsese are the other two obvious examples of this. James Cameron also.

Oh yeah I forgot Gladiator... ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!? ;D

Nope.  >:D

Re Scott Pilgrim, I remember sitting in the cinema thinking "As a one-off watch, this has problems, but it would be awesome to rewatch on DVD". I bought the DVD when it came out, lent it to a friend - who promptly lost it  :'(

DavidW

« Reply #13750 on: April 26, 2012, 08:21:31 PM »
I always heard that Scott Pilgrim is a movie that you either love or hate.  So it was to my surprise that I liked it.  I didn't love it, nor did I hate it. :D

I think biggest downhill disappointment for me is Francis Ford Coppola.  Godfather 1, 2 and Apocalypse Now followed up by nothing anywhere near that level.

eyeresist

« Reply #13751 on: April 26, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »
I think biggest downhill disappointment for me is Francis Ford Coppola.  Godfather 1, 2 and Apocalypse Now followed up by nothing anywhere near that level.
Yes, it's one of those declines that makes you wonder if the masterpieces were somehow accidental (though all masterpieces are in a way, of course). The behind-the-scenes documentary on Dracula was fairly horrifying, in that Coppola came across as a stereotypical cigar-chomping Yankee philistine.

Online karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #13752 on: April 27, 2012, 03:49:36 AM »
Last night, one of the goofier episodes I have yet seen from the last season of The Avengers: “Legacy of Death.” It's left me with rather mixed feelings, overall.  Except that it is certainly an episode to confirm one in the thought that, with Diana Rigg's departure, thing would never be quite the same . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #13753 on: April 27, 2012, 05:50:30 AM »
Yes, it's one of those declines that makes you wonder if the masterpieces were somehow accidental

How would it almost make one wonder that?  Coppola put about a decade of work into the three movies when he was young and hungry.  He then got older, fatter, and presumably happier and didn't work as hard. 

Online karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #13754 on: April 27, 2012, 05:58:06 AM »
How would it almost make one wonder that?  Coppola put about a decade of work into the three movies when he was young and hungry.  He then got older, fatter, and presumably happier and didn't work as hard.

And film-making is a collective endeavor, requiring studio resources, both physical and monetary.  So there is a dimension of the artist doesn't choose to work so hard which differs here to the work of (say) a composer, whose work waxes stronger with age and experience.

Or most composers.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #13755 on: April 28, 2012, 12:17:02 PM »
Susan & I were away for a short 3-day overnight in Blowing Rock, NC - usually stay at a condo at the Chetola Resort; took along 8 DVDs (all her picks), so each night early we had some wine, cheese, & crackers and watched about half of those we brought, i.e. the ones below - ladies choice - :)

P.S. Of course, the most appropriate for our locale was the Songcatcher filmed around the Asheville, NC area, another favorite mountain haunt for us -  :D

Philoctetes

« Reply #13756 on: April 28, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »
Continuing on the same path, I'm looking a bit deeper into some odd Youtube phenomenons:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GT5qIraqCys" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GT5qIraqCys</a>

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #13757 on: April 29, 2012, 07:42:42 AM »

Immortals is basically a B movie in terms of plot and dialogue, but the visual style and mastery so overwhelm the story that it is impossible to take one's eyes off it.  Tarsem Singh is a genius.  If he could hook up with a good screenwriter and editor, he could make a masterpiece for the ages.

Online TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #13758 on: April 29, 2012, 07:48:21 AM »

Immortals is basically a B movie in terms of plot and dialogue, but the visual style and mastery so overwhelm the story that it is impossible to take one's eyes off it.  Tarsem Singh is a genius.  If he could hook up with a good screenwriter and editor, he could make a masterpiece for the ages.

Get him Joss Whedon's phone#!

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #13759 on: April 29, 2012, 07:55:59 AM »
Get him Joss Whedon's phone#!

Not what I had in mind.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK