Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1378240 times)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #25360 on: January 19, 2017, 06:07:13 PM »
Last night in a hotel room on the Duke Campus in Durham (Susan's 'get-away' birthday), we streamed:

Hacksaw Ridge about the battle of Okinawa and the extreme bravery and unbelievable rescue of injured American soldiers by one medic who did not carry a weapon. 

Desmond Doss (1919-2006) was from Lynchburg, VA who served as a medic in WW II and was a conscientious objector refusing to carry a gun - his miraculous story is portrayed in this film w/ Andrew Garfield in the main role; Mel Gibson, director - ratings: 8.5/10, IMDB; 86%, Rotten Tomatoes; and 4.7/5.0* on Amazon (80% 5* comments) - short synopsis quoted below - this film is worth a watch, especially if a fan of 'true stories' in war (that are well done) - recommended.  Dave :)

The extraordinary true story of conscientious objector Desmond T. Doss who saved 75 men in Okinawa, during the bloodiest battle of WWII, without firing a single shot. Believing that the war was just but killing was nevertheless wrong, he was the only American soldier in WWII to fight on the front lines without a weapon. As an army medic Doss single-handedly evacuated the wounded near enemy lines - braving enemy fire and putting his own life on the line. He was the first conscientious objector to ever win the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Offline James

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #25361 on: January 19, 2017, 06:09:08 PM »
The Revenant
2015 ‧ Drama film/Thriller ‧ 2h 36m

While exploring the uncharted wilderness in 1823, frontiersman Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio) sustains life-threatening injuries from a brutal bear attack. When a member (Tom Hardy) of his hunting team kills his young son (Forrest Goodluck) and leaves him for dead, Glass must utilize his survival skills to find a way back to civilization. Grief-stricken and fueled by vengeance, the legendary fur trapper treks through the snowy terrain to track down the man who betrayed him.

"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • Get off my lawn!
    • kenBlogic
    Hand-crafts, not tractor factories.
« Reply #25362 on: January 19, 2017, 06:44:03 PM »
The third one has a gripping first hour.. or maybe less, can't remember when it all goes south but it does so in a spectacularly terrible way. That said, Charles Dance is absolutely amazing in this.
The most spectacular example of suddenly going south is Magnolia. I still remember watching it when it came out. I thought I was watching the best movie in decades, maybe since Vertigo, and then ...

TD The latest Star Trek. Blah. Blah minus.
TD The Asphalt Jungle. I liked it even more this time, probably due to the better print.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set him on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #25363 on: January 20, 2017, 09:22:30 AM »
Open Your Eyes [Eduardo Noriega/Penéope Cruz]....

GMG membership can be detrimental to your financial health!

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #25364 on: January 21, 2017, 07:52:49 AM »

Rewatched RoboCop for the first time in a while.  Since the movie was clearly not violent enough in its US theatrical form, I watched the unrated (ie, X/NC-17) cut.  The additional or replacement footage is not that tremendous or shocking in these days of GoT.  The opening ED209 sequence gains a bit more dark humor as a result of the extended shooting.  Overall, the film is as I remembered it, but some of the fine details sparkle.  The use of Leeza Gibbons as a newsreaders is excellent, as is the skewering of newsreaders generally, a common Verhoeven theme.  The speech that Ronnie Cox gives before the executives about how OCP finds money in areas where profit is not generally thought to exist - that is, traditional government services - is excellent and pointed.  And, of course, the street level bad guys, a motley crew of stereotypes, are a hoot, led by an excellent Kurtwood Smith (bitches leave) and Peter Weller does pretty darned good work in a plastic suit.  I like it!

The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #25365 on: January 21, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »

Rewatched RoboCop for the first time in a while.  Since the movie was clearly not violent enough in its US theatrical form, I watched the unrated (ie, X/NC-17) cut.  The additional or replacement footage is not that tremendous or shocking in these days of GoT.  The opening ED209 sequence gains a bit more dark humor as a result of the extended shooting.  Overall, the film is as I remembered it, but some of the fine details sparkle.  The use of Leeza Gibbons as a newsreaders is excellent, as is the skewering of newsreaders generally, a common Verhoeven theme.  The speech that Ronnie Cox gives before the executives about how OCP finds money in areas where profit is not generally thought to exist - that is, traditional government services - is excellent and pointed.  And, of course, the street level bad guys, a motley crew of stereotypes, are a hoot, led by an excellent Kurtwood Smith (bitches leave) and Peter Weller does pretty darned good work in a plastic suit.  I like it!

I'll buy that for a dollar!

Thread Duty:

Last night, Hudson Hawk.  This never stales for me, and always makes me smile.  Repeatedly.  I may never understand what "microwave sushi" is, though.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #25366 on: January 21, 2017, 01:21:54 PM »
Yesterday and today I re-watched Dangerous Days, the making of Blade Runner.  Three and a half hours very gratifyingly spent.

I hadn't been aware of this doc, but after you heads-up got it and watched it last night. Fascinating, and often remarkably candid. Not at all the usual studio whitewash making-of spin. And the section on the in-camera non-digital effects making was jaw-dropping - that lost art of being able to do so much with so little.

So: thanks.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #25367 on: January 21, 2017, 02:04:51 PM »
I hadn't been aware of this doc, but after you heads-up got it and watched it last night. Fascinating, and often remarkably candid. Not at all the usual studio whitewash making-of spin. And the section on the in-camera non-digital effects making was jaw-dropping - that lost art of being able to do so much with so little.

So: thanks.

Cheers, Simon!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Using a longer lens than yours.
« Reply #25368 on: January 21, 2017, 06:16:41 PM »
Volere volare (1991)   Directed by Maurizio Nichetti and Guido Manulin
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Want_to_Fly

A romantic comedy in which a Foley/sound effects artist discovers that as a result of falling in love he's beginning to turn into an animated cartoon character.
Don't mistake this as being in the same vein as 'Mask' or 'Who Killed Roger Rabbit?' or even 'Cool World', because this is lower key and despite employing instances of slapstick (with a nod to such as Tex Avery?) far more of a personal, intimate affair. On the negative side, I first viewed this at a film festival more than 20 years ago and it might just be that it plays better in front of an audience. Still, I feel it's a worthwhile investment of one and a half hours and a nice change from the usual *orange and teal blockbusters I sometimes lazily find myself watching. Also, the person I watched with tonight enjoyed it and found it funny. ;D

* I shouldn't say that, really, because the O&T stuff can look nice and it certainly works well with a large number of the Type I-VI complexions. :)

:laugh:

Offline listener

• Veteran member
  • Resurrection - Reims North Portal
« Reply #25369 on: January 21, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »
an inauguration included in a collection of Kenneth Anger films  (disc 1)
Fireworks   Puce Moment   Rabbit's Moon   Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome (music from Janáček's Glagolitic Mass)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #25370 on: January 22, 2017, 01:56:37 AM »

Fury offers a little something extra and is certainly worth a watch.
GMG membership can be detrimental to your financial health!

Offline GioCar

« Reply #25371 on: January 22, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »
Last night at the movie theater: Silence by Martin Scorsese

Not bad, but I like Scorsese more in his non-religious films.
Actually The Last Temptation of Christ and Kundun are his weakest films imo. That one I still don't know. I should re-watch it.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #25372 on: January 22, 2017, 09:24:58 PM »
Just received a half dozen BDs from Amazon, several DVD replacements and others new to my film collection - last few nights:

Wall Street (1987) w/ Michael Douglas, Charlie Sheen & Daryl Hannah - best actor Oscar to Douglas.

Guys and Dolls (1955) w/ Sinatra, Brando, Simmons & Blaine - excellent video restoration; sound could have been better but fine w/ the volume up - Brando sings & dances (w/ help) - the two actors did not get along because Frank coveted Brando's role (some interesting trivia in IMDB).

Ice Station Zebra (1968) w/ Rock Hudson, Ernest Borgnine, Patrick McGoohan, & Jim Brown - excellent AV restoration; the video description quoted below (Source) - Dave :)

Ice Station Zebra is presented on Blu-ray courtesy of Warner Brothers with an AVC encoded 1080p transfer in 2.19:1. This Super Panavision 70 feature looks fantastically sharp and well detailed on Blu-ray, as most of these larger format features usually do. Colors are beautifully saturated and robust, and the image has a startling clarity that benefits from extremely good contrast and solid black levels.

Offline listener

• Veteran member
  • Resurrection - Reims North Portal
« Reply #25373 on: January 23, 2017, 12:00:25 AM »
RED ROCK WEST   1993    dir. John Dahl
Nicholas Cage, Dennis Hopper, Lara Flynn Boyle, J.T. Walsh, Dwight Yokum
Tautly scripted film noir (in colour)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #25374 on: January 23, 2017, 02:14:02 AM »
Because the need for smiles is ongoing, last night:  Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
    Currently conducting the largest symphony in the galaxy and we don't even have enough money to get scores because our accountant has been slacking off and putting us in a little bit of debt
« Reply #25375 on: January 23, 2017, 02:14:42 AM »
Because the need for smiles is ongoing, last night:  Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Good choice!!  ;D
"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." - A.C.

Online George

• Veteran member
  • No One In The Whole Universe Will Ever Compare
« Reply #25376 on: January 23, 2017, 07:26:42 AM »

For that reason, my girlfriend and I have been binge-watching The King of Queens. I wish there was more Jerry Stiller in each episode, but what are you gonna do?

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #25377 on: January 23, 2017, 07:33:27 AM »
Cheers, George!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #25378 on: January 23, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »

The problem I have with sitcoms is that they don't seem to be designed to be funny, and they are not funny. I imagine the writers sitting around testing each other with joke format lines that are formal jokes only. I read a critic saying laziness was responsible, and that doesn't sound right. All involved are working hard at a goal, and comedy writers should have a hard time being so unmercifully unfunny as they are on The Big Bang Theory. This requires effort directed at a goal I can't make out.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.0 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.0.3

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline Overtones

« Reply #25379 on: January 23, 2017, 10:59:15 AM »
I watched Arrival.
Good movie.
Actually, great movie.
Top 5 sci-fi movie and maybe top 10 overall for me.
One of those sci-fi movies that are only sci-fi for the setting but are about...humans (like Stalker or Blade Runner).

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK