Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1779841 times)

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #25680 on: March 22, 2017, 06:17:56 AM »
It might have been. I recall discussing it -- I said it is Hitch's best British movie, and there were some benighted dissents in favour of various inferior efforts. The 39 Steps is the only other serious contender though.

I don't contest that  8)  I almost feel that The Man Who Knew Too Much is of interest to me, largely because of the later re-make.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #25681 on: March 22, 2017, 06:21:12 AM »
I don't contest that  8)  I almost feel that The Man Who Knew Too Much is of interest to me, largely because of the later re-make.

It's definitely worth seeing. Like Hitchcock himself, I prefer the remake.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #25682 on: March 22, 2017, 06:24:09 AM »
It's definitely worth seeing.

Agreed.  Peter Lorre, of course (in, IIRC, his first English-language rôle).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Drasko

« Reply #25683 on: March 23, 2017, 07:24:43 AM »
Split between Sunday and Tuesday nights (well, only the last ten minutes remained for last night), The Lady Vanishes, for the second time (not counting a viewing with the accompanying commentary).  What a great flick.  Was it Ken who encouraged me to seek this out?  Cecil Parker's misplaced trust in others/the situation when he exits the train.  Michael Redgrave forgetting the tune which he had been humming to himself for a day and a half (two days and a half?)  The cricket test match cancelled because of floods.

Might have even been me, in one of those 'favorite Hitchcock' threads. The Lady Vanishes is one of my top three, rated by level of sheer enjoyment while watching, with NbNW and TCaT. Redgrave and Lockwood have great chemistry, sparks and everything.

Maigret is ok, well produced period piece. Elektra is poor, which is a shame, it had more potential. It probably couldn't have been made into PG-13 but original graphic novel Elektra Assasin was such unique trippy masterpiece. Miller and especially Sienkiewicz at their respective best.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #25684 on: March 23, 2017, 08:36:57 AM »
Might have even been me, in one of those 'favorite Hitchcock' threads. The Lady Vanishes is one of my top three, rated by level of sheer enjoyment while watching, with NbNW and TCaT. Redgrave and Lockwood have great chemistry, sparks and everything.

And the romantic male lead is a clarinetist; how could I not like it?  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #25685 on: March 25, 2017, 04:21:55 AM »
Kubrick's:

I thought that the back and forth time line was well played. The acting was good (not great) and the story itself unfolded at a nice pace. It definitely had a Kubrick "look" to it where everything seemed to be right there and you were watching over his shoulder. I felt the same way watching his Paths to Glory. I am not particularly a big fan of Kubrick, but this one I gave an 8+/10 so I believe that I will pick this one up as I would watch it multiple times.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 04:32:45 AM by Bogey »
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #25686 on: March 25, 2017, 05:31:07 AM »
And one more item on The Killing. My favorite scene was with Jay Adler as a loan shark. He seems to pop up in films from time to time that I enjoy and though brief, was excellent in this scene.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #25687 on: March 25, 2017, 07:06:59 AM »
Kubrick's:

I thought that the back and forth time line was well played. The acting was good (not great) and the story itself unfolded at a nice pace. It definitely had a Kubrick "look" to it where everything seemed to be right there and you were watching over his shoulder. I felt the same way watching his Paths to Glory. I am not particularly a big fan of Kubrick, but this one I gave an 8+/10 so I believe that I will pick this one up as I would watch it multiple times.

Unpopular opinion :  Kubrick is wildly overrated.

I gave that one an 8 too.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #25688 on: March 25, 2017, 07:31:49 AM »
Unpopular opinion :  Kubrick is wildly overrated.

I gave that one an 8 too.

Hey Ken - I'm not a big but selective Kubrick fan - quoted below a list of his directory efforts; the ones in bold I own all on BD - my brief comments - SO in reconsidering, I must be more of a Kubrick fan that thought w/ some glaring exceptions.  Dave :)

Fear and Desire (1953) - have not seen?
Killer’s Kiss (1955) - really enjoy this one.
The Killing (1956) - like this one a lot - would agree w/ an 8.
Paths of Glory (1957) - my favorite Kubrick & (anti-)war film.
Spartacus (1960) - long epic which I like to watch.
Lolita (1962) - seen and never liked that much; read the book as a teenager.
Dr. Strangelove etc. (1964) - enjoy this one w/ some great performances.
2001:  A Space Odyssey (1968) - long but good, but at times boring for me.
A Clockwork Orange (1971) - just re-watched (DVR off TCM) - still unimpressed.
Barry Lyndon (1975) - Beautiful but long and boring.
The Shining (1980) - saw but cannot recall my reaction; do not plan to buy.
Full Metal Jacket (1987) - good film but not my favorite war movie.
Eyes Wide Shut (1999) - saw on release; cannot remember?

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #25689 on: March 25, 2017, 07:46:52 AM »
Well, I've not been too active here recently - been watching old films from TCM, a lot of musicals and phony musical bios that seemed to be mainly cameo revues for the stars/singers of the times; also, watching a few TV series, e.g. finishing the final season of The Closer w/ Susan - probably one of our favs to watch together.

BUT, did go out a few days ago to see on the BIG screen: Beauty and the Beast w/ Emma Watson & Dan Stevens, plus a host of other great stars (e.g. Kevin Kline, Emma Thompson, Ian McKellen, et al).  Reviews were mixed - our paper gave it a 2+/4 rating (syndicated); 7.8/10, IMDB; 70% Rotten Tomatoes; and Amazon 4.6/5*. 

We both enjoyed the film tremendously - the scenery was gorgeous, the beast well done, and the same music from the 1991 animated Disney film, which I own on BD - one of the last films from that studio w/ great music (IMO) - I would certainly do a 4* on Amazon and a recommendation; plus, a MUST see if you are a fan of the 1991 production.  Dave :)

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #25690 on: March 25, 2017, 08:39:28 AM »
Hey Ken - I'm not a big but selective Kubrick fan - quoted below a list of his directory efforts; the ones in bold I own all on BD - my brief comments - SO in reconsidering, I must be more of a Kubrick fan that thought w/ some glaring exceptions.  Dave :)
I agree with most of your assessments Dave. Paths is his best movie, Strangelove is over praised. Spartacus is a snoozer. Shining should be speln differetnly.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #25691 on: March 25, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »
Van Heflin, Janet Leigh, Robert Ryan, and Mary Astor all together in Act of Violence. Picked this up on a double feature dvd, but was hoping that a BD issue was coming soon as there are some terrific scenes that would pop.  7.5/10.

Drasko

« Reply #25692 on: March 25, 2017, 05:05:08 PM »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #25693 on: March 25, 2017, 06:05:53 PM »
I agree with most of your assessments Dave. Paths is his best movie, Strangelove is over praised.

It would be a funny world, if we all thought the same.  It may not actually contradict you; but it was not long ago that I had only Strangelove & 2001 on DVD, and I thought those may be all I'd ever want.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #25694 on: March 26, 2017, 01:32:51 AM »
A French History lesson in the form of Sacha Guitry's REMONTONS LES CHAMPS ELYSÉES (1938)
has English subtitles, the 53 minute documentary on Guitry has none
Big budget, huge cast, of the French Kings and Emperors from 1697 to 1938
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:01:42 PM by listener »

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #25695 on: March 26, 2017, 12:24:59 PM »
Well, I've not been too active here recently - been watching old films from TCM, a lot of musicals and phony musical bios that seemed to be mainly cameo revues for the stars/singers of the times; also, watching a few TV series, e.g. finishing the final season of The Closer w/ Susan - probably one of our favs to watch together.

BUT, did go out a few days ago to see on the BIG screen: Beauty and the Beast w/ Emma Watson & Dan Stevens, plus a host of other great stars (e.g. Kevin Kline, Emma Thompson, Ian McKellen, et al).  Reviews were mixed - our paper gave it a 2+/4 rating (syndicated); 7.8/10, IMDB; 70% Rotten Tomatoes; and Amazon 4.6/5*. 

We both enjoyed the film tremendously - the scenery was gorgeous, the beast well done, and the same music from the 1991 animated Disney film, which I own on BD - one of the last films from that studio w/ great music (IMO) - I would certainly do a 4* on Amazon and a recommendation; plus, a MUST see if you are a fan of the 1991 production.  Dave :)

I saw last night the HD restored version of Cocteau 1946 movie with Jean Marais and josette Day.  The restoration makes a huge difference.

what is facinating in this piece of cinema is the oniric athmosphere in the beast castle and all the symbolism that goes with it.

I'll try to catch the new disney version when it comes out in France.

A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #25696 on: March 26, 2017, 01:44:59 PM »
Barney Oldfield's Race for a Life (1913)

Brats (1930)

The Mystery of the Leaping Fish (1916)

These were shown in a music hall built in 1857. It presents a lot of old stuff and also features risque burlesque nights. However the main claim to fame is that this is where Stan Laurel made his public debut during an amateur night in 1906.

Anyway, I was in the company of a blue haired 19 year old who told me she had never heard of Laurel and Hardy. Time does indeed move on... 
Like Tennyson's unredeemed nature, primal love is "red in tooth and claw."

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #25697 on: March 26, 2017, 02:03:22 PM »
One of the very few Billy Wilder movies I had not seen

A tidy little suspenser war movie from 1943.

Still unseen: Mauvaise Graine, Emperor Waltz, Buddy Buddy
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:06:37 PM by Ken B »

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #25698 on: March 26, 2017, 07:33:32 PM »
Well tonight, I delved into my DVD/BD collection and picked a couple of films to watch - both still in DVD format:

Scarlet Pimpernel, The w/ Anthony Andrews, Jane Seymour, & Ian McKellen - BOY, this was made in 1982 w/ a VERY young looking Ian - love this story and this adaptation (also have the earlier film w/ Leslie Howard).

Sea Hawk, The (1940) w/ Errol Flynn, Brenda Marshall, & Claude Rains - music by Korngold - one of my favorite Flynn films - Dave :)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #25699 on: March 27, 2017, 03:40:18 AM »
I took my time about it (in patches over four evenings) but I re-watched Saboteur.  A good film which doubles as propaganda, rather than flat propaganda, I think.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA