Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1391480 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #25680 on: March 18, 2017, 05:19:12 PM »
Courtesy of Mirror Image: Stravinsky in Hollywood

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
  • I never found out much listening to myself. -Jeff
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #25681 on: March 19, 2017, 05:34:22 AM »
This Hitch I have not seen:

1927 thriller will be released by Criterion in June.  I would definitely need to preview and really enjoy before popping for this one, but hardcore Hitch fans I am sure will be thrilled.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #25682 on: March 19, 2017, 05:40:10 AM »
Last night:

After a gentle prod by Ken, I revisited this one that is on almost every top 10 noir list I can find.  I crept 9/10 after this viewing and enjoyed it more than the previous watching.  It has all the noir elements one can ask for, but the "grime" that I look forward to on stories like this was missing.  Not that I always need this element (Maltese is a 10/10), but with the likes of Mitchum (or like Lancaster) it just makes them pop!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 05:45:00 AM by Bogey »
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Online Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #25683 on: March 19, 2017, 09:21:28 AM »
Last night:

After a gentle prod by Ken, I revisited this one that is on almost every top 10 noir list I can find.  I crept 9/10 after this viewing and enjoyed it more than the previous watching.  It has all the noir elements one can ask for, but the "grime" that I look forward to on stories like this was missing.  Not that I always need this element (Maltese is a 10/10), but with the likes of Mitchum (or like Lancaster) it just makes them pop!
Still the best Jacques Tourneur movie that I have watched.  It has two french titles "pendez moi haut et court" or the gentler "La griffe du passé/ L'Étreinte du passé".  I havent seen it in 6 years, probably too long.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:23:08 AM by Spineur »
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #25684 on: March 19, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »
Still the best Jacques Tourneur movie that I have watched.  It has two french titles "pendez moi haut et court" or the gentler "La griffe du passé/ L'Étreinte du passé".  I havent seen it in 6 years, probably too long.

I just popped it again. About to let the commentary run while I do some things around the house.  Try to see it on HD, the print is amazing.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • Get off my lawn!
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #25685 on: March 19, 2017, 11:04:37 AM »
Last night:

:)

I need to see it again soon, but I do want to see the BluRay restoration. Is that what Amazon streams? Is there a way to tell?
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set him on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #25686 on: March 19, 2017, 12:18:37 PM »
:)

I need to see it again soon, but I do want to see the BluRay restoration. Is that what Amazon streams? Is there a way to tell?

It says HD on the rental for $3.99.

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #25687 on: March 19, 2017, 12:34:58 PM »
This Hitch I have not seen:

1927 thriller will be released by Criterion in June.  I would definitely need to preview and really enjoy before popping for this one, but hardcore Hitch fans I am sure will be thrilled.

I like Hitchcock but I'm going to pass on this one. Will be checking Criterion's June release of Ugetsu though.
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline James

• Veteran member
« Reply #25688 on: March 19, 2017, 12:45:19 PM »
Last night:

I have this blu ray .. it really didn't do much for me on the first pass - will have to re-visit.
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #25689 on: March 19, 2017, 12:53:51 PM »
I have this blu ray .. it really didn't do much for me on the first pass - will have to re-visit.

This one took three or four viewings before it caught me, James.

Offline James

• Veteran member
« Reply #25690 on: March 19, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »
This one took three or four viewings before it caught me, James.

Thx .. though I have to admit that the films & TV shows that really stay with me blow me away from the get go and have an almost magical ability to suck me in and keep me very involved with what is going on, every step of the way .. so I doubt multiple viewings of something that doesn't even remotely come close to that will change much. I'll see what happens, despite this trend.

Offline Draško

• Veteran member
« Reply #25691 on: March 19, 2017, 02:16:31 PM »
de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Offline Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
    Currently conducting the largest symphony in the galaxy and we don't even have enough money to get scores because our accountant has been slacking off and putting us in a little bit of debt
« Reply #25692 on: March 19, 2017, 05:35:18 PM »
Because I have to:

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." - A.C.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • Get off my lawn!
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #25693 on: March 19, 2017, 05:48:07 PM »
Because I have to:

I saw that as a little kid, in a Drive-In. Scary!
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set him on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
    Currently conducting the largest symphony in the galaxy and we don't even have enough money to get scores because our accountant has been slacking off and putting us in a little bit of debt
« Reply #25694 on: March 19, 2017, 05:50:28 PM »
I saw that as a little kid, in a Drive-In. Scary!

Would it even be of slightest surprise to you that it's one of my favorite movies?  :P
"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." - A.C.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #25695 on: March 20, 2017, 04:31:36 AM »
Courtesy of Mirror Image: Stravinsky in Hollywood

I admit it:  I always find film footage of Игорь Фëдорович touching.  I learnt some new things, and quite a few things I already knew, were illustrated more fully.  The superimposition of the second movement of the Symphony in Three Movements with footage from The Song of Bernadette (Stravinsky had been approached to write the score, but it was one of several film score projects to fall through) is very interesting;  it would have come off as fully art-house, I think – not Going Hollywood, at all, at all.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • Get off my lawn!
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #25696 on: March 20, 2017, 04:35:58 PM »
The restoration is spectacular. It's a wholly different movie.

Threshing machine!

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #25697 on: March 20, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »
Because I have to:

One of my all time favorites as a kid.  I loved the entire run except for the third one (not enough action). 

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #25698 on: March 22, 2017, 12:12:10 AM »
A BETTER TOMORROW     Hong Kong 1987
John Woo actioner with Chow Yun Fat, Leslie Cheung, Ti Lung
brother vs friend, cops vs gangsters
good actioner, story and performances overcome the low-contrast transfer

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #25699 on: March 22, 2017, 04:01:01 AM »
Split between Sunday and Tuesday nights (well, only the last ten minutes remained for last night), The Lady Vanishes, for the second time (not counting a viewing with the accompanying commentary).  What a great flick.  Was it Ken who encouraged me to seek this out?  Cecil Parker's misplaced trust in others/the situation when he exits the train.  Michael Redgrave forgetting the tune which he had been humming to himself for a day and a half (two days and a half?)  The cricket test match cancelled because of floods.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK