Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1788214 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #26100 on: June 22, 2017, 03:59:46 AM »
When I first saw it, I got hung up on how it wasn't the Verhoeven original. But I must partly reverse myself: the remade RoboCop is much better than I first gave it credit for.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’m not arguing that the 2014 movie is as good as the original (an argument I might assay for the 2003 In Laws).  I’ll try to do this with no spoilers.

The negative:

• Joel Kinnaman is not Peter Weller.
  • It’s all awfully Earnest, the tone and the script lack the comic elements which enrich the original.  In my first pan of the movie, I noted that there was no Clarence Boddicker.  Mattox is a pale substitute.
  • But it’s also ‘Sanitized’;  Murphy is not executed, but detonates a bomb planted in his car at home.  There is practically no blood, but a lot of videogame-style shoot-outs.
  • So the tone of the narrative is a bit flattened out in comparison.
  • The script is indeed marred by the occasional amateurish touch.  The musical number from The Wizard of Oz, e.g.
The neutral:

• At first, I was annoyed by the intrusion of (as I saw it then) the Hallmark Channel family element.  Okay, it’s an off-the-shelf family, but it does make for a different arc for Murphy’s character.  Some of it plays out as Hollywood boilerplate, yes.
  • Given a larger role on screen for Mrs Murphy, I guess that ‘means’ that Lewis needs to be male.  But Clara is a less interesting/distinctive role for a female actor.  Let’s go further:  Clara is a type and not a character.  By now, this does border on negative, sure . . . .
  • Samuel L. Jackson’s riff on Fox News Infotainment.
The positive:

• Setting aside the frontloaded disappointments – the absence of Weller (a bigger matter than the actor, much as we love him) and narrower scope – there is much that I like about the restructured narrative.  Keaton’s Omnicorp magnate is, overall, a richer, more interesting villain than Dick Jones.  Oldman’s Dr Norton is a greater role than Miguel Ferrer’s Bob Morton.  Although the title character is diminished compared to the original, I do find the net of these three characters an interesting adaptation, or at least, an adaptation interestingly executed.  (I’ll go ahead and disclose:  I mostly revisited the movie to see Keaton and Oldman again.)
  • The corruption element is artfully played, possibly the best element in the script.
Do I recommend the movie?  No.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #26101 on: June 22, 2017, 07:12:57 AM »
     There's lots of in-your face mockery/satire in Verhoeven that seems to offend viewers, deliberately of course but then even more (the reaction to his trashterpiece Starship Troopers, as an instance). Can anyone watch that today and still think it's as bad as it was once thought to be?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XvAsR4O4W0w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XvAsR4O4W0w</a>
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #26102 on: June 22, 2017, 09:04:44 AM »
     There's lots of in-your face mockery/satire in Verhoeven that seems to offend viewers, deliberately of course but then even more (the reaction to his trashterpiece Starship Troopers, as an instance). Can anyone watch that today and still think it's as bad as it was once thought to be?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XvAsR4O4W0w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XvAsR4O4W0w</a>
I always liked it.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #26103 on: June 22, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »
That's a fun list, Dave. :)

And from that list I'd watch these three in this order (obvious choices, but I don't care) -

This Island Earth
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Forbidden Planet

Ha!  I was given a copy of this just this Father's Day as a gift and finished it up tonight. An absolutely dreadful film that for some reason I cannot pull myself away from.  ;D Could it have something to do with the  the Mutant Metaluna dropping by at the end of the film?  You betcha'!

I have a figure of this outstanding creature on my shelf and a couple of gumball charms.  Would love to own an old Don Post mask!

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #26104 on: June 22, 2017, 08:14:44 PM »
Ha!  I was given a copy of this just this Father's Day as a gift and finished it up tonight. An absolutely dreadful film that for some reason I cannot pull myself away from.  ;D Could it have something to do with the  the Mutant Metaluna dropping by at the end of the film?  You betcha'!

I have a figure of this outstanding creature on my shelf and a couple of gumball charms.  Would love to own an old Don Post mask!

Yeah, it started off with a cool idea about some guy receiving electrical components from an unknown source and then it's downhill from there. Also "The film was released in 1955 on a double bill with Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy."  ??? ;D
Like Tennyson's unredeemed nature, primal love is "red in tooth and claw."

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #26105 on: June 23, 2017, 03:15:40 AM »

Yeah, it started off with a cool idea about some guy receiving electrical components from an unknown source and then it's downhill from there. Also "The film was released in 1955 on a double bill with Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy."  ??? ;D

And the effects were so cheesy in this one that I just had to stay put.  That is part of this eras charm on many of the sci-if films.  In my books these films just rock and I cannot get enough of them. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #26106 on: June 23, 2017, 03:49:30 AM »
The classic, the one and only:

I saw that during its first theatrical release in 1956. I was seven. I talked my mother into giving me a quarter, the price of admission for a late afternoon showing, and walked the five blocks to the theater by myself. (Ah, those innocent, free range days in small town America.) Looking at the poster I remember thinking the robot was evil, abducting the woman  ;D  Quite surprised and delighted when it turned out otherwise. Anne Francis was one of my first celebrity crushes.

Sarge
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 03:51:27 AM by Sergeant Rock »
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26107 on: June 23, 2017, 04:12:57 AM »
Free-range offspring!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #26108 on: June 23, 2017, 06:06:51 AM »
That's a fun list, Dave. :)

And from that list I'd watch these three in this order (obvious choices, but I don't care) -

This Island Earth
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Forbidden Planet

And in the final scene of Forbidden Planet I would ignore (I'm going to try and spoiler this although you've all probably noticed before) the terrible practical effect that's the two dimensional cardboard legs of Robby the Robot when he's sitting and instead concentrate on those of Anne Francis.

Hey NikF - LOL!  Put your 'hidden text' in bold above - I now own the BD of the Forbidden Planet (great ratings HERE for AV restoration), and for me one of the main reasons to re-watch this film is to look at Anne in those skimpy & shapely outfits, and indeed a great pair of legs (and other physical attributes, as shown below).  Dave :)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26109 on: June 23, 2017, 07:29:31 AM »
Dying of the Light....

A good performance from Cage I thought.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Abuelo Igor

The sound of one hand clapping
« Reply #26110 on: June 23, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
Do I recommend the movie?  No.

But Focus' Hocus Pocus is in the soundtrack.
L'enfant, c'est moi.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #26111 on: June 23, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »
Belén Rueda’s The Orphanage, strangely beautiful.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26112 on: June 24, 2017, 01:54:39 AM »
Tallulah....

Well acted and worth a watch.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26113 on: June 24, 2017, 03:11:53 AM »
But Focus' Hocus Pocus is in the soundtrack.

It may be a movie only for those with a special interest  8)

I have to wonder, without Keaton and Oldman’s performances to watch, would I care about the movie at all?  And I just leave the question in the rhetorical condition.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Drasko

« Reply #26114 on: June 24, 2017, 03:29:46 AM »

Watchable, but nothing more.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26115 on: June 24, 2017, 03:37:00 AM »
Belén Rueda’s The Orphanage, strangely beautiful.

This is a movie my sister recommended to me the day that we watched Pan’s Labyrinth, as del Toro presented The Orphanage.  I don’t want to say more about the movie itself, as I almost feel that anything is spoiler.  A young couple and their boy live in a house which used to be an orphanage, in sight of a lighthouse.  There, nothing there to spoil anything for anyone.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #26116 on: June 24, 2017, 12:07:29 PM »
THE KIYOSU CONFERENCE     Japan 2013      dir. Koji Mikano
the backstage shenanigans of relatives endeavouring to get control of a clan when a leader passes.  A lot of discussions (subtitles, not for the pre-literate), based on an actual historical event.   138 minutes may be more than enough for some, I did enjoy it.
First-rate performances and production.   Resonates well with current political scenes.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 12:12:43 PM by listener »

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #26117 on: June 24, 2017, 09:02:34 PM »
for a Saturday night  THE HARVEY GIRLS     1945   MGM
July Garland, John Hodiak, Ray Bolger, Angela Lansbury, Marjorie Main
songs by Johnny Mercer and Harry Warren
Good colour restoration and George Sidney (director) commentary.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:59:27 AM by listener »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26118 on: June 25, 2017, 12:47:37 AM »
Spooks: The Greater Good....

Entertaining thriller.

Drasko

« Reply #26119 on: June 25, 2017, 03:59:36 AM »