Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1523837 times)

Offline Crudblud

Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #26100 on: June 18, 2017, 05:16:15 AM »
I find myself in no rush to watch Blade Trinity.

It doesn't really hold up well against the other two in the series. It's quite toned down in its content and I seem to recall a lot of goofy product placement for iPod, which was the big Apple gadget of the time. The best thing to come out of its production is probably the behind-the-scenes stuff about Wesley Snipes, such as his refusal to open his eyes during a particular scene, which meant they had to use CGI to put fake eyes on his face.

Offline α | ě Ć ń

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lassus, Lassus, Gesualdo, Machaut, Ockeghem, Josquin, Bach, Webern, folk music, Diamanda Galas, Xenakis, Beethoven chamber music, Jane's Addiction and Lassus
« Reply #26101 on: June 18, 2017, 06:55:16 AM »
I'll give it about an hour or so (with a break from the internet to get something to munch on),then I'm whipping out Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain :

Which is somewhere among my favorite movies  8)
Tell your Pugg to stop rubbing his balls of my carpet, I just sprayed some nasty chemicals there.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #26102 on: June 18, 2017, 07:18:36 AM »
I'll give it about an hour or so (with a break from the internet to get something to munch on),then I'm whipping out Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain :

Which is somewhere among my favorite movies  8)

Great film. Even with the 4th Wall ending.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #26103 on: June 18, 2017, 09:22:25 AM »

Very special indeed. Captivating and very intriguing. There's a nice wiki article on the japanese spirits that populate the film. A kind of japanese fauna from walhalla or Mt Olympus. Must see it again.

Offline Draško

• Veteran member
« Reply #26104 on: June 18, 2017, 04:08:04 PM »

John Wick: Chapter 2 is bit more bloated compared to the first one (opening chapter about the car could have been dropped entirely) and one of the action scenes (the one in catacombs) felt too video game like, but other than that I really enjoyed it. The choreography is still fantastic, the arcane world of Continental organization is intriguing and very stylish. Superbly done final shootout in sort-of house of mirrors has to be, at some level, an homage to Enter the Dragon.

Alatriste follows the life of Diego Alatriste, professional soldier and sword for hire in 17th century Spain. Scenes of Flemish wars alternate with court and inquisition intrigues. Production, sets, costumes are all first rate, entire atmosphere of the film feels very real, and Viggo Mortensen is excellent lead. The film is probably bit rambling, long and with a lot of events, but I still liked it a lot. 
de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
  • The plural of vinyl is vinyl.
« Reply #26105 on: June 19, 2017, 12:50:56 PM »

Terrific to watch,but I still have not put together why he thought a weapon may be hid in the first clock he checked.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #26106 on: June 19, 2017, 04:35:28 PM »

Terrific to watch,but I still have not put together why he thought a weapon may be hid in the first clock he checked.
SPOILER

Why would Waldo want it back?
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #26107 on: June 19, 2017, 04:45:56 PM »
SPOILER

Why would Waldo want it back?

Spoiler alert, but if you have not seen this film, then you have more viewing issues than just spoilers. 8)

I got that part, but it still did not stick at that point for me Ken. He searches Waldo's house, hears the clock, and then smashes it up trying to find a weapon.  Razor thin in my books.  Besides that, great movie.

PS Did Laura actually die and the second half was him dreaming?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #26108 on: June 19, 2017, 05:30:14 PM »
Spoiler alert, but if you have not seen this film, then you have more viewing issues than just spoilers. 8)

I got that part, but it still did not stick at that point for me Ken. He searches Waldo's house, hears the clock, and then smashes it up trying to find a weapon.  Razor thin in my books.  Besides that, great movie.

PS Did Laura actually die and the second half was him dreaming?

He recognized the clock though, right?

Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #26109 on: June 20, 2017, 04:03:23 AM »
He recognized the clock though, right?

I am sure he did,but suddenly think that a weapon may be hidden there.  Now, if I were to have stuck to the clock line I would have had the conversation about there being only the two, EXACTLY ALIKE, but given hers a certain chime tone that was heard by the group, commented on as unique, THEN when he hears Waldo's, the tone is different due to the weapon being inserted in its belly.  Now THAT is detective work! ;D

Either way, it's always fun to talk noir with you, Ken.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #26110 on: June 20, 2017, 04:11:21 AM »
TD

Another classic sci-fi watch. I always watch these with  lens of "was this the first time they tried this angle" for the story. I guess elements of this one inspired Spielberg for Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Enjoyed it, but not as much as my recent viewing of Them.

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ćnigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #26111 on: June 20, 2017, 04:25:22 AM »
Last night I rewatched almost half of Hellboy.  Typically (we might almost say) my second viewing would have been with the commentary . . . but for whatever passel of reasons, I am just watching this for itself, this second time.

Over two-ish evenings, I enjoyed half an hour’s banter about Screwball Comedy between Molly Haskell and Phillip Lopate (I missed their names, but it was easy to do the resesarch), one of the supplements to It Happened One Night.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #26112 on: June 20, 2017, 04:32:16 AM »
Last night I rewatched almost half of Hellboy.  Typically (we might almost say) my second viewing would have been with the commentary . . . but for whatever passel of reasons, I am just watching this for itself, this second time.

Over two-ish evenings, I enjoyed half an hour’s banter about Screwball Comedy between Molly Haskell and Phillip Lopate (I missed their names, but it was easy to do the resesarch), one of the supplements to It Happened One Night.

I gave Hellboy a first try a few weeks back.  I made it through about half the film and called it a night.  For some reason, I could not get behind or care about any of the characters,Karl.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26113 on: June 20, 2017, 04:33:54 AM »
I could see it not working for everyone, Bill.  It’s quite peculiar, I suppose, that I find myself enjoying these as well as I do.

Like the Mennin Eighth  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #26114 on: June 20, 2017, 04:48:29 AM »
I am sure he did,but suddenly think that a weapon may be hidden there.  Now, if I were to have stuck to the clock line I would have had the conversation about there being only the two, EXACTLY ALIKE, but given hers a certain chime tone that was heard by the group, commented on as unique, THEN when he hears Waldo's, the tone is different due to the weapon being inserted in its belly.  Now THAT is detective work! ;D

Ebert thought that the gun thing is a bit labored. I would tend to agree, but really there are so many little oddities in this film that they somehow work despite that. It's a special movie, one that leaves a taste in your mouth that is quite different from most. I love that.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #26115 on: June 20, 2017, 04:58:17 AM »
Ebert thought that the gun thing is a bit labored. I would tend to agree, but really there are so many little oddities in this film that they somehow work despite that. It's a special movie, one that leaves a taste in your mouth that is quite different from most. I love that.

Exactly why I have returned to it multiple times Neal and each time it gets better.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26116 on: June 20, 2017, 05:03:45 AM »

Exactly why I have returned to it multiple times Neal and each time it gets better.

So it doth, Bill, so it doth.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #26117 on: June 20, 2017, 05:07:18 AM »
TD

Another classic sci-fi watch. I always watch these with  lens of "was this the first time they tried this angle" for the story. I guess elements of this one inspired Spielberg for Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Enjoyed it, but not as much as my recent viewing of Them.

8)

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #26118 on: June 20, 2017, 05:49:28 AM »

Might be more plausible detective work. Would it be a better character-revealing explosion of rage and frustration?

Of course he's not just concluding that there is a gun in the clock, but that the clock was how the gun got smuggled out.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26119 on: June 20, 2017, 07:39:07 AM »
Hologram For A King....

I am not the biggest fan of Tom Hanks but I did enjoy this one.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK