Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1847560 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #26460 on: August 29, 2017, 04:19:05 AM »

Europa Report.  What a clunker.  I think this is the final found footage flick for me.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #26461 on: August 29, 2017, 06:57:38 AM »
Back to my DVR for about a week - earlier this month, TCM was 'honoring' specific stars and I concentrated on Glenn Ford & Greer Garson - watched a few or so a night - had never seen two of the Ford films and also not the Garson flick w/ Gable (his first film after return from WW II) - Dave :)

Ford - Framed (1947): B-type 'film noir' w/ Janis Carter; The Sheepman (1958) w/ an adorable Shirley MacLaine; excellent character actor cast - mainly comedy-drama western; and Experiment in Terror (1962) w/ the beautiful Lee Remick - Ford as an FBI agent trying to capture a man terrorizing Remick; Blake Edwards, director & Henry Mancini, music.

Garson - Madame Curie (1943) w/ Walter Pidgeon (one of the many films they made together); Adventure (1945) w/ Clark Gable - my first watch and enjoyable; his first post-WW II movie; and Sunrise At Campobello (1960) w/ Ralph Bellamy as FDR & Hume Cronyn as Louis Howe - just unbeatable performances; nominated for 4 Oscars, including Garson as 'Best Actress', but won none; however, she did win the 'Golden Globe' for best actress in a drama.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26462 on: August 29, 2017, 07:27:00 AM »
True Story....

A really interesting story.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #26463 on: August 29, 2017, 03:28:01 PM »

Loosely based on the real story of Eugene Allen, butler at the WH from 1952 to 1986. There are some very contemporary aspects to it. This is 2017. Some things have hardly changed.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26464 on: August 30, 2017, 10:44:12 AM »
What happened to Monday....

An intriguing concept.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Abuelo Igor

• Currently Listening to:
    The sound of one hand clapping
« Reply #26465 on: August 30, 2017, 02:47:56 PM »
Kenneth Anger - Rabbit's Moon:

I've never been able to shake the "Things that go bump in the night" song from my head ever since I saw that one... which must have been some 20-something years ago)
L'enfant, c'est moi.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #26466 on: August 31, 2017, 04:18:25 AM »
What happened to Monday....

An intriguing concept.

The intriguing concept led me to watch last night.  I found the execution is mediocre.  Some of the dialogue is just awful, and some of the standard action-flick devices annoy (eg, endless ammunition, a girl who has never shot a gun before is accurate with fully automatic weapons the first time around while pros frequently miss, some monologuing).  Noomi Rapace seems game, but she can't make all seven sisters distinctive enough, while Willem Defoe seems like he mostly picked up a paycheck.  Glenn Close is hampered by the awful dialogue, too, and as made up, she kind of looks like Christopher Plummer.  This is no Soylent Green, that's for sure.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26467 on: August 31, 2017, 07:56:41 AM »
The Man Who Sued God....

Harmlessly entertaining and mildly amusing.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26468 on: August 31, 2017, 07:58:08 AM »

The intriguing concept led me to watch last night.  I found the execution is mediocre.  Some of the dialogue is just awful, and some of the standard action-flick devices annoy (eg, endless ammunition, a girl who has never shot a gun before is accurate with fully automatic weapons the first time around while pros frequently miss, some monologuing).  Noomi Rapace seems game, but she can't make all seven sisters distinctive enough, while Willem Defoe seems like he mostly picked up a paycheck.  Glenn Close is hampered by the awful dialogue, too, and as made up, she kind of looks like Christopher Plummer.  This is no Soylent Green, that's for sure.

I would not disagree with any of that. I did enjoy both the concept and the visuals myself.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #26469 on: August 31, 2017, 11:18:24 AM »
True Story....

A really interesting story.

Watched that last night. I liked it. Creepy. Interesting. Will turn a lot of people off!
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26470 on: September 01, 2017, 08:20:03 AM »

Watched that last night. I liked it. Creepy. Interesting. Will turn a lot of people off!

Yes, it is interesting and I am glad that you liked it  :)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Hassy shenanigans in the digital domain.
« Reply #26471 on: September 01, 2017, 09:00:45 PM »
There's a tl;dr

Umberto D. (1952) Directed by Vittorio De Sica. 

The branch of the sofa usually occupied by hooting little owls was empty and so my charming neighbour and I edged along and spread out to view what I had seen on a number of occasions but was her introduction. A lesson in simplicity, the story progressing directly from a to b to c in a series of scenes stripped of excess, populated by characters drawn to provoke emotional response that thankfully stops short of both maudlin and that terrible Hollywood habit of after almost every exchange or action the camera lingering...for...sympathy.
Finally, it's all brought full circle by delivering a fitting, satisfying ending that you can see pave way to a new beginning, although if your own realism is built on cynicism you might not see it quite that way.

An aside: our decision to watch this was influenced by a recent conversation between Spineur and ritter on another thread.

tl;dr apparently Bergman's favourite film and one that Scorsese rated above 'Bicycle Thieves', but at the very least a fine example of neorealism.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_-jPZUM7ftk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_-jPZUM7ftk</a>
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #26472 on: September 02, 2017, 06:53:42 AM »
Umberto D is indeed superior to Bicycle Thieves, athough not by much. It's just that the former seems to have slowly and steadily elevated itself to cult status over the past 65 years, whereas the latter jumped to that status immediately when it was released. It's hard to maintain that level of appreciation for a prolonged period of time.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #26473 on: September 02, 2017, 02:15:59 PM »
I'd heard that Andrei Rublev was Bergman's favorite film, though like most people it probably depends on what day they're asked.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #26474 on: September 02, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »
Several recently

Conclave (2006) despite some cheesy scenes near the start this is an intelligent and interesting dramatic recreation of the renaissance papal election of 1458. Recommended.

Winchester 73 (1950) Jimmy Stewart's first western, and a good one. Recommended.

Shenandoah (1965) More Stewart. He's the head of a (preternaturally beautiful) family trying to sit out the civil war. He isn't allowed to. The core story is strong but not all the scenes are. Recommended.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #26475 on: September 02, 2017, 03:55:02 PM »
Kurosawa's 1944 THE MOST BEAUTIFUL
Women working in a factory making optical equipment for the war are given a new 50% quota increase in production against the men's 10%.
Inter-personal rivalry, increased stress and guilt because they aren't dying like the men they support and absence from families are stressful.
AN interesting historical curiosity.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Hassy shenanigans in the digital domain.
« Reply #26476 on: September 02, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »
Kurosawa's 1944 THE MOST BEAUTIFUL
Women working in a factory making optical equipment for the war are given a new 50% quota increase in production against the men's 10%.
Inter-personal rivalry, increased stress and guilt because they aren't dying like the men they support and absence from families are stressful.
AN interesting historical curiosity.

I haven't seen that. It does sound interesting.
We were watching a film (Umberto D.) on Friday night and initially had plans to make it a double bill with Ikiru (1952).
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26477 on: September 03, 2017, 12:26:37 AM »
Pray for Rain....

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #26478 on: September 03, 2017, 01:52:51 AM »
Last night, again (and with relish):  The Inlaws, Peter Falk & Alan Arkin
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #26479 on: September 03, 2017, 04:17:14 AM »
I haven't seen that. It does sound interesting.
We were watching a film (Umberto D.) on Friday night and initially had plans to make it a double bill with Ikiru (1952).

There's nothing like a double bill of cheerful, feel good movies (with popcorn and soda) to enlighten your day !  ;)