Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1843481 times)

Offline James

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #26640 on: October 09, 2017, 05:37:11 PM »
I saw Blade Runner 2049. I liked it. The visuals are really stunnig, I may rewatch it just for that. The script was fine... a bit too round shaped... I would have liked a bit of the mystery and open endedness of the first one... as well as some of its poetry. Definitely the best sci fi film in a long while... quite refreshing to feel some of the 80s really good stuff again.

I watched it the other night in IMAX. It was a letdown ... too slow, too long, I didn't care for any of the characters or what happened. I left the theater thinking nothing of it, it wasn't even that 'entertaining'. The climaxes were blah. The performances were flat, Gosling was not good at all, no charisma, very deadpan, too relaxed. Harrison should just retire, the passion is gone. And visually .. it just essentially apes everything already imagined and realized in the first Blade Runner movie (which is a greater and greater looking film done over 30 years ago), the look, the atmosphere, all those panoramic geography shots etc. The music was sub par. Overall, not the worst film, but nothing great or powerful, just way over hyped. This thing didn't look like it's supposed 150 million dollar budget at all either. I've seen films which cost a quarter of that and surpass the look of this thing by light years.
Action is the only truth

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #26641 on: October 10, 2017, 04:14:33 AM »

Blade Runner 2049.  Visually magnificent, surpassing the original in some regards, not least in scale, the film overall is not quite up to Ridley Scott's film, but it comes much closer than anticipated.  Sci-fi influences are obvious: in addition to the first movie, one can see A.I. Artificial Intelligence (and through it, Pinocchio), some 2001, some Star Wars sequels, some Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, and others.  The film also offers a master class in product placement, both of firms long gone and currently thriving ones.  The movie ties directly to the original in its storyline, with the first big reveal rather obvious.  The plot twist is also obvious by the time it finally arrives.  Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford both do good enough work, and Ana de Armas is a joy to watch.  Denis Villeneuve's visual mastery makes the film's not inconsiderable length quite manageable, though it will be interesting to see if it holds up as well on the small screen.  (I made it a point to see it on the largest screen in two states.)  Denis Villeneuve might be able to do something good with the Dune remake he is directing.

While watching a few scenes, it became clear that the theater had the sub-woofers set to too high a level; some low frequency bursts physically moved the screen, resulting in slightly blurred images at peak SPLs.

Great! Pretty much my same impression.

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #26642 on: October 10, 2017, 04:20:09 AM »
I watched it the other night in IMAX. It was a letdown ... too slow, too long, I didn't care for any of the characters or what happened. I left the theater thinking nothing of it, it wasn't even that 'entertaining'. The climaxes were blah. The performances were flat, Gosling was not good at all, no charisma, very deadpan, too relaxed. Harrison should just retire, the passion is gone. And visually .. it just essentially apes everything already imagined and realized in the first Blade Runner movie (which is a greater and greater looking film done over 30 years ago), the look, the atmosphere, all those panoramic geography shots etc. The music was sub par. Overall, not the worst film, but nothing great or powerful, just way over hyped. This thing didn't look like it's supposed 150 million dollar budget at all either. I've seen films which cost a quarter of that and surpass the look of this thing by light years.

Well, considering your opinion is pretty much the complete opposite to mine, I see no point in discussing it, since that will lead nowhere. Best regards.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #26643 on: October 10, 2017, 04:23:52 AM »
Well, considering your opinion is pretty much the complete opposite to mine, I see no point in discussing it, since that will lead nowhere. Best regards.

For perspective:  he thinks Mozart is mediocre, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #26644 on: October 10, 2017, 02:10:51 PM »
For perspective:  he thinks Mozart is mediocre, too.

But Bach who came before him is soooo much better. :)
Action is the only truth

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
    something between my ears
« Reply #26645 on: October 11, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »
Currently grinding my way through The Interview. I can only tolerate about twenty minutes at a time as most of it ( so far ) is dreck, imho. But as l understand, the film ends in a way which will satisfy a current emotional need, so l shall persevere.

Grimly determined,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #26646 on: October 11, 2017, 06:51:52 PM »
Finished The Interview. Can't say l could honestly recommend it, though it improves somewhat after the halfway mark. Oh, and the dog was cute.

Now l shall reward my perseverance by viewing Dances with Wolves8)

Relieved,

LKB

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #26647 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:36 PM »
I don't much care for toilet humor, which is where ( imho ) The Interview expends too much time and energy. Considering the people involved, l suppose that isn't surprising. I was curious more than anything, and at least now l can voice an informed opinion... But I'll be perfectly content never to watch it again.  :D

If you can tolerate a large portion of gratuitous puerile humor and don't have to pay anything, l suppose it does have a few minutes with some limited value. But nearly everything the film attempts to do could have been done better, in every aspect of its production. If l had to grade it, maybe a C- at best.

How wonderful it is to have truly great and memorable films at hand as an antidote! Within a few feet are bluray copies of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Apocalypse Now, The Sound of Music, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Iron Giant, My Life as a Dog, Airplane...

Yeah, I'll survive The Interview8)

Whew,

LKB

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #26648 on: October 12, 2017, 08:52:13 PM »
I don't much care for toilet humor

Airplane...

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #26649 on: October 13, 2017, 06:31:17 AM »
In the category of "goofy American comedies about assassinating foreign dictators," The Interview places above Zoolander, in my book. (I once watched them back-to-back.)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26650 on: October 13, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »
The other night, I watched John Carpenter’s Halloween (sic) – so I’m a word-nerd, and really like the apostrophe in Hallowe’en – and on Facebook, I commented on the scene at the time, that Jamie Lee Curtis was doing a lot of screaming, which is neither drama nor suspense, but just noise. (And I stand by that quarrel.) I also could not help responding to the begging-believability elements, like the hysterical baby-sitter succeeding in fending off a powerful and irrational assailant, with a bent coat-hanger.

Well, I wanted to report/clarify here that those quarrels notwithstanding, I am aware of watching it 40 years later, with all the semi-awareness (including the fact that it spawned sequels and imitations galore . . . looks like the “complete collection” is 10 blu discs), so from arguably something of a skeptical viewpoint.  Not a viewpoint set in stone.

So, I watched the Halloween Unmasked 2000 featurette, and learnt that it was shot in 22 days and on a budget of $300K.  I’ve got to acknowledge it as a work of genius.  Under those circumstances, all my quibbles with the screamplay, erm, screenplay pretty much vanish in the light of its unadorned virtues.  Jamie Lee Curtis stated (which did affirm an idea which was forming in the back of my mind) that it was pretty much her best dramatic role until True Lies (don’t mistake me, I love her performance in A Fish Called Wanda, but I don’t think Wanda is quite as well-etched a character as Laurie).  And Carpenter’s scoring is a tour-de-force.

And, of course, it both launched a movie career for Jamie Lee Curtis, and Carpenter’s directing career . . . and I cannot help feeling that The Thing, Escape From New York, and, why yes, even Big Trouble in Little China fulfilled the promise.

I’m still disappointed with Escape From L.A.  But hell, if anyone 10 years ago had told me that I should be a John Carpenter advocate . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #26651 on: October 13, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »

True, my favorite comedy does use that gag. It is used once and has a duration of a few seconds. Airplane also has plenty of material which current viewers might find offensive for various reasons. Some of it is parody, but most is simply a product of its pc-free era. ( l do think the end of the boy & girl bit goes a little too far. )

The whole shit-hit's-the-fan thing is actually a perfect example of what separates a classic like Airplane, where the gag is a three-second one-off, from the decidedly non-classic The Interview. If the latter had included such a gag, it would undoubtedly have lasted longer, filmed in slow-motion from multiple angles, with the camera pushing in on the actors getting spattered. Some might chuckle, but l expect more would roll their eyes while thinking, " Really? "

Picked the wrong day to stop drinking,

LKB

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #26652 on: October 13, 2017, 12:06:31 PM »
I wasn't arguing. I love Airplane.

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #26653 on: October 13, 2017, 07:45:28 PM »

Glad to hear it!  ;D

< prop whine >,

LKB

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26654 on: October 14, 2017, 02:18:26 AM »
Bandits....

Wonderfully entertaining, engaging and quirky. A really good watch.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26655 on: October 14, 2017, 05:04:26 AM »
It's high time I watched that one.

And, back to The Fly

Quote from: rogerebert.com
This clearly isn't a film for everybody and yet, it's also very hard not to appreciate its many virtues: It works remarkably well because the two leads manage to get you involved on what could have easily been laughable otherwise., They are able to convince the audience that these proceedings are really happening, turning us into an observing "fly in the wall" in the process (so to speak).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #26656 on: October 14, 2017, 05:56:32 AM »

Meaning you've never seen it?  ???
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #26657 on: October 14, 2017, 06:10:57 AM »

And, back to The Fly

Haven't seen The Fly in at least fifteen years, probably closer to twenty. And l have no impulse to. Nothing against the film, I've always considered it well done all around, and l do enjoy good sci-fi. But my suspension of disbelief only goes so high, l suppose.

I did watch Independence Day: Indulgence last week. Goldblum looked like he had just woken up in nearly every scene... At least Brent Spiner got a little work.

Oh, finished Dances with Wolves yesterday.

Wind-In-His-Hair,

LKB

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #26658 on: October 14, 2017, 06:21:41 AM »

All sophisticated and intelligent musicians ( sorry for the redundancy ) have seen Airplane, or will. No need to fret over k a rl h e nn i ng.  :D

< puts on nun's habit and grab's a guitar >,

LKB

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26659 on: October 14, 2017, 09:00:40 AM »
In entirety, no. I've certainly seen odd bits.

I feel like the Hawk, telling her, "I never saw E.T...."

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA